cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Needles Highway Tunnel/Custer State Park

sedwheathome
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all can a Dodge Dually fit thru the tunnels on the Needles Highway? without scratches ๐Ÿ˜‰
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel
2011 Jayco Eagle RKS313
Daddy, Mommy, and our boy, Jacob (8 yrs old)

***Off to see the United States of America***
26 REPLIES 26

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"The last time we were there we followed a 40 ft tour bus through. That was quite a spectacle, took him about 5 or 10 minues for each tunnel, backing and filling but inching through. All the spectators gave him a standing ovation upon completion."

Must have been a new driver. I've gone through many times and most of the drivers are inching through but sure in their approach and movements. I bet first time for those drivers is not a fun experience. I wonder if they start newbies with a dented and bruised bus or practice them in one.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
N7GLD wrote:
I took a Chev dully through... slowly, but there was room

This made me laugh!
A comment on Chevy's style, perhaps? (and I'm a Chevy guy).

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Don't think a tour bus would make it due to the height, I went thru them with a 2008 F450 with mirrors out, no issues.

Picture is worth a Thousand Words,

I stand corrected, nice pic

N7GLD
Explorer
Explorer
I took a Chev dully through... slowly, but there was room

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
took my 2004 Duramax dually through the needles. Had the wife get out and spot me though. Its a tight fit.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Garry&Gayle wrote:
Don't think a tour bus would make it due to the height, I went thru them with a 2008 F450 with mirrors out, no issues.

Wrong! I've watched many go through. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

badbob1
Explorer
Explorer
Tunnels felt like a freeway in my Smart car last Oct. Is a great drive and look forward to doing it again.
BadBob

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
BTW, keep your mirrors out (not in the extended towing position) if possible. this will let you adjust left to right to keep the dually fenders of the walls!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You`ll be fine!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Maurice45
Explorer
Explorer
The last time we were there we followed a 40 ft tour bus through. That was quite a spectacle, took him about 5 or 10 minues for each tunnel, backing and filling but inching through. All the spectators gave him a standing ovation upon completion.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garry&Gayle wrote:

Yes they do. And no, people don't get upset with slow vehicles in the tunnels. Lots of folks stop near and walk around them anyway.

For the record, your trailer will not fit. There will be no place to park it near the scenic areas anyway.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Garry&Gayle wrote:

Picture is worth a Thousand Words,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
http://youtu.be/xN5VpqMnPUk

Sorry...I don't seem to be able to post a direct link. Cut and paste will have to do.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer