cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Never again

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
Never again on a holiday weekend. Camped at Natural Springs Resort in New Paris, Ohio this weekend. The campground is very nice, albeit many of the sites are way too small. We were there with 5 other couples who we have camped many times with. It became obvious early on that many who were there do not camp much. Couldn't tell you how many times people just walked through our site, or I saw walking through other campers sites. Way too many golf carts also, and too many kids driving golf carts. It became too congested to even walk our dogs. The campgound also did not enforce their 5 mph speed limit or the 1 vehicle to a site rule.I have never seen so many cars in a campgound before. The quiet hours, for the most part, were adhered to. We made the best of it, but will not camp here.....or on a major holiday weekend again. Lesson learned.
59 REPLIES 59

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I love to see kids play and run "have two kids and one grandchild, and I have three dogs, so I love dogs, but I only can stand the super loud rude adults for so long.

the last time I stayed at a state park CG on a holiday I had ear plugs and a fan by my head, it won't happen again, that's why I camp in our back pasture on holidays, if you listen really hard you can hear a faint car in the distance every once in a while.

public camping is not what it used to be for me, I don't know if the people are worse, or I have just gotten so darned intolerant, this is one of the reasons I have a TC, it is very easy to boondock.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
We had a good experience at Clifty Falls State Park this year. Some drunk fools, some late night noise, but overall it was a very fun experience. We didn't see any golf cars, but we did watch a child walk right into a stopped car in the road (which was somewhat entertaining, in a sad way), and at least 10 times watched children sit down in the middle of the road to play (no further comment on that.)

We got a non-electric spot this year, due to last minute planning on my part, and I have to say it was actually more fun there than I expected. It was less like camping at a used RV lot and more like old time camping ๐Ÿ™‚ Then again, we have a small, vintage camper so we usually stand out in the electric loops, but still we had a great three day camping trip despite the crowds and occasional campers.
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
mister_d wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that so many people have had such a bad experience on a holiday weekend. We had a great time at Hartwick Pines SP (sold out) and absolutely ZERO problems. I think certain CGs are a magnet for the type of campers the OP ran into no matter what time of the year.

Just my 2 cents, more people camp on the holidays, generally their younger, less experienced and some less courteous. For the most part we don't do the holidays, partly because of what I just said and partly because DW and I usually work on the Big 3 holidays.

That said, over 10 yrs ago we had a terrible experience at an out of state campground because of drunks...we and a bunch of other campers ended leaving the campground early, and it wasn't on a holiday. Still though, I prefer the better odds...non holidays. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Jebster wrote:
You nailed it. 70% of Natural Springs campers are seasonal and they have golf carts. Just about everyone knows who's kids are who's so they know no campsite boundaries. We have friends with a seasonal there and it is great for them and the kids and it really is a great campground. With that said a great seasonal campground is usually not a good weekend campground. It's kind of like going to a large family reunion when you aren't family......

Same goes for the Chain O'Lake parks in Illinois. Don't ever go there for a weekend they will eat you alive and if they don't the CG owners will! :B:B

Thru friends, I've been on both sides of that, it's like camping on another planet.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry to hear that so many people have had such a bad experience on a holiday weekend. We had a great time at Hartwick Pines SP (sold out) and absolutely ZERO problems. I think certain CGs are a magnet for the type of campers the OP ran into no matter what time of the year.
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Jebster wrote:
Saw many people trailering in a golf cart, some real fancy ones too. Couple had stereos. This place was not that big. As someone stated,these campgrounds don't want to make their seasonals mad, so they let them get away with more. I am thinking many of the people who were there, were staying with a seasonal camper.It's true we all had to be novices, but common courtesy for other campers would help.

You nailed it. 70% of Natural Springs campers are seasonal and they have golf carts. Just about everyone knows who's kids are who's so they know no campsite boundaries. We have friends with a seasonal there and it is great for them and the kids and it really is a great campground. With that said a great seasonal campground is usually not a good weekend campground. It's kind of like going to a large family reunion when you aren't family.

BTW when I was a kid and rules were much more liberal with the lake, we dove off the rock walls. There is also a small locomotive they used to use in the quarry still at the bottom of the lake.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
I always thought that golf carts were for golfers,not campers. The only golf carts I've ever seen out here on the west coast belonged to the park folks. I would not want to camp at an RV park that lets them be used.

Wow, don't travel east then, it will be a rude awakening for you!:B

They are the new IN thing to do at CG's. MH's pull a trailer behind them with a golf cart on the back of it 'just' for the CG's.

And I don't mean resorts they are all over all the various levels of CG's.

I don't really mind the adults except when you go for a walk you have to stop and look both ways and wait for the cart traffic to slow up so you can run across a CG road! :B

It's the kids that set me off. Like I said before the parents put them on the golf cart and send them off till supper time. 6, 7 year olds driving around and around on the golf carts.

I have had those kids come right up on the site IN the golf cart smack against my MH..."just to see my doggies". :R:R

And it's not an isolated incident. After that one time I left the CG and I drove for over 8 hours to the next CG and damn if a kid didn't roll up to my MH door in a golf cart to "see my doggies". :S

If you put a piece of candy in the middle of the interstate I swear they'd drive that golf cart right into the middle of 6 lanes of traffic to get the candy!!!

Their kids they do NOT 'know' what is right or wrong and should never be motorized in a CG.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping since 1972. We raised 2 sons and then helped raise 3 grandkids while camping. We laid down one rule in 1972 that we have never broken. We will never camp on a holiday weekend. We never have and never will...
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
godfreyc wrote:
Well as an amateur I would like to say that I agree, sort of. I try to be a courteous camper. .....You don't have to be an amateur camper to be rude, and you don't have to be a full timer to have some class.

Well said. :C

I think we sometimes forget to add that it IS a few that ruin it for the rest. And there are 'many' new campers that are a pleasure to be parked next to and more importantly to become friends with.

godfreyc
Explorer
Explorer
Well as an amateur I would like to say that I agree, sort of. I try to be a courteous camper. I like state parks best. I don't want to feel like I paid to go stay in a parking lot. I enjoy trails and water and nature. That said, we stayed this weekend at Torreya SP in Florida. It does take me a minute to get backed in and set-up, but I have worked hard to make sure that for the most part I know what I'm doing. After that, I am quiet and courteous of my neighbors. I do enjoy cooking outside, and we have been known to have a raucous marathon of Uno, but we don't drink like college students, we are there to spend time with our daughter as a family. Don't misunderstand, we do drink some spirits and enjoy the time, but it's not a contest to see who can pass out first. The entire campground was full, mostly tent camping which when I see a family out together tent camping cooking breakfast over a fire and hiking etc. I love it, I'm sure that they are making memories for their children that will carry them through life. That's not who we were next to. My neighbors drank profusely and screamed bring me another beer, swore a lot, played all kinds of games that they were very passionate about, and stayed up until the wee hours of the morning talking. We made the best of it. Actually there were so many people there not enjoying their surroundings that my daughter and I didn't see a single soul when we walked our dog on the weeping wall trail, and there were very few people touring the Gregory House. You don't have to be an amateur camper to be rude, and you don't have to be a full timer to have some class.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought that golf carts were for golfers,not campers. The only golf carts I've ever seen out here on the west coast belonged to the park folks. I would not want to camp at an RV park that lets them be used.

We don't go on Memorial day or Labor Day and haven't for a number of years. We do go on the 4th as we've found that there are some really fun celebrations in communities other than our own.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Sue Bee wrote:
...... We went camping with a bunch of neighbors, it was wet, it was cold, it was muddy, .....

I'm from the Chicago suburb area too.
Come on now, when do you remember EVER having a nice dry, warm sunny Memorial Day Weekend? It just doesn't happen in the Midwest! It's a given that the Memorial Day weekend weather will be cold and crummy and raining!:B:B

foneguy493
Explorer
Explorer
well lots of irritation all around, we stayed at streetsboro koa in ohio,
1- no site cuttingg or walk throughs !:)
2- no golf cars except the employees ๐Ÿ™‚
3- no rule that i had to do 3 days ! they like to keep the park open for travelers who need a place for 1 night along I-80

this was our first memorial day weekend in over 5 years due to marching band being in a parade and for the amatures i am one, in the sence im not getting paid to camp. but ill back my hide out into any spot i only dispise people in a hurry walking or riding behind me when i do so ! CAMP ON PEOPLE !!!
take pictures.....leave bubbles

04 1500 ram 4x4
08 hornet 27b hideout

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Was your holiday weekend disturbed by THIS TYPE OF CAMPER?

(No intent to minimize legitimate concerns of the OP is meant by posting this link. Many of us have probably experienced one or more of these behaviors.)
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)