cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New York to Fort Wilderness in Disney

Mysteryiam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We will be planning a trip for spring from NYC to Disney with our new Fifth Wheel camper. Two adults; one dog and no kids. I am the only driver, so I will make two stops on the way down. I hope to keep my driving time between 6-8 hours per day. We are content with an RV park as opposed to state parks. Any recommendations off I95 in VA.; NC; or SC. would be appreciated, thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerseyjim wrote:
Thanks for all the info on the "new" dog loops. Last time we were at Ft. Wilderness, (2007)we were in loop 600. I can never recall even SEEING a dog. Never heard a bark either. (Their kennel was "it". Of that I am sure.)
Something for me to check out the next time I visit...as I have a dog now.

Thanks again.

FW start allowing pets in sites WAY BEFORE 2007. Not sure of exact date, but I think it started in the mid to late 90's and was definitely allowed by 2002. I know that for a fact since we go almost every year and our previous two Yorkies that we got in 2002 never had to be boarded.

In fact it was before 1996 since that year they were charging $3/day per pet for you to have a pet in your site according to my detailed records.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

jerseyjim wrote:
Thanks for all the info on the "new" dog loops. Last time we were at Ft. Wilderness, (2007)we were in loop 600. I can never recall even SEEING a dog. Never heard a bark either. (Their kennel was "it". Of that I am sure.)

Thanks again.

Their kennels are now located outside the Fort, not upfront near the stables like earlier..

Go out the main gate to the Fort and make a left , first light make a right and it is on the right.. Brand, spanking new kennel.. Looks good from the outside, never been inside.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Ringer
Explorer
Explorer
Carolina Crossroads We have stayed here a few times. $30.00 for a FHU Pull-Thru Site. A really nice CG and very little road noise. Just south of the VA/NC border.
2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
2008 Saturn Vue

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks again.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
For overnights along the I-95 corridor we've used:

Americamps Richmond North - right off of I-95 on Air Park Rd. Easy on & off and there are places to grab a meal nearby. We've used the CG many times.

Fayetteville KOA, Fayetteville NC - good for an overnight and that's about it. Only used it once.

Green Acres CG, Walterboro SC - long, level, pull-thru sites and easy to get back to I-95.

We've never used South of the Border but it is very convenient.

Route: Not sure how you normally leave Long Island or what time of the day you are leaving but if it were me I'd avoid I-95 south altogether. If you can work your way to I-78 west, pick up I-81 then I-83 south to Rt. 581 then to US Rt. 15 below Harrisburg, around Gettysburg and in to MD & VA. From there you can work your way southeast to I-95 below Fredericksburg. Maybe not as direct, I know, but unless you plan to drive I-95 at about 1 a.m. you'll save yourself a lot of traffic congestion. Others will have their favorite routes around the I-95 corridor. Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
jerseyjim wrote:
Strange...about the WDW "pet loops"....last time I was there was 2007...and from the brochure, their kennel was the way they wanted to go. At any rate, I was totally unaware of any dog loops/pet walks.

Edited to say: Of course at that time I did not have a dog. Now I do. Fully expecting to return to Ft. Wilderness in the future, I will definitely check this out.

Loops 300 (preferred loop), 400, 500, 600,700, 800, 900 (Premium Loops) as well as the full hook up loops are pet loops.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from the Fort last night. Had a wonderful time but we could tell Saturday the Christmas crowds were coming. It was good to get out and its nice to be home.

As for a stopover, if you're in central NC when its time to rest, I think you'd love this place. They are getting great reviews on rvparkreviews.com.

Raleigh Oaks

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Strange...about the WDW "pet loops"....last time I was there was 2007...and from the brochure, their kennel was the way they wanted to go. At any rate, I was totally unaware of any dog loops/pet walks.

Edited to say: Of course at that time I did not have a dog. Now I do. Fully expecting to return to Ft. Wilderness in the future, I will definitely check this out.

During booking there is no mention of dogs at all, never has been the past 7 years we've camping there. Dogs are all over the place. Now if you want to be near the dog run, ask for a site close; loops 300, 400, & 500 are nearby.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twain wrote:
Went to DC from FL this year. We like Walmarts but did stay at the KOA in SC just off of exit 33. Was good for an overnighter and most there seemed to be doing the same thing. Not in VA, but Cherry Hill is on the beltway in Maryland and real close to I-95. Its a really nice campground.

Greenbelt NP is also right off the beltway in Maryland and, at $16 per night, is a lot less expensive (and has a lot fewer amenities) than Cherry Hill. If you don't need hookups, it's a decent option in that neck of the woods.

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Went to DC from FL this year. We like Walmarts but did stay at the KOA in SC just off of exit 33. Was good for an overnighter and most there seemed to be doing the same thing. Not in VA, but Cherry Hill is on the beltway in Maryland and real close to I-95. Its a really nice campground.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
We like The RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads right off of I-95 just into North Carolina. It's great for overnight with all pull thru sites. If you arrive after 6 PM they have Overnight Express Sites for $30 with full hook ups.

And yes, Disney does indeed have Pet Loops and dog walks.

jerseyjim wrote:
Straight down I-95 to I-4 west....and there it is !

Americamps in Va.....as mentioned before is good...I stopped there on the way back....where I live in Southern NJ, our first stop is 11 hours....Florence, SC. Former KOA, still decent for an overnighter...and 3 gas stations right there at the exit. To get to the Florence CG., make a U-turn, go under I-95 and make a left. A sign is there.

Next day...300 miles to KOA in St. Marys Ga.....Ga. Exit #1. After that, a short run 3 (?) hours to WDW...and you're rested at arrival. Fort Wilderness... make sure you have a reservation. MUST. If not...many CGs in the area. But find one and reserve a site. WDW is popular, y'know.

Some do the trip in 2 days...others, like me, in 3...still others do it non-stop. Your choice...and have a great time. Be aware, however, that Disney (FT. Wilderness) does NOT allow dogs in the CG. However, they do offer a on-site kennel ($$).

Now for traffic, I would recommend the Baltimore By-Pass (NOT the tunnel) then the DC Beltway, then the Richmond ByPass (unless you are stopping at the Americamp CG.) I-695, I-495 then I-295.

Not sure where you got that from??? Disney has "PET LOOPS".. and dog walks, and a large , fenced in dog run... in fact, the door run has waste bags to clean up and water for the dogs...

We have been taking our labs there for close to 30 years....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Straight down I-95 to I-4 west....and there it is !

Americamps in Va.....as mentioned before is good...I stopped there on the way back....where I live in Southern NJ, our first stop is 11 hours....Florence, SC. Former KOA, still decent for an overnighter...and 3 gas stations right there at the exit. To get to the Florence CG., make a U-turn, go under I-95 and make a left. A sign is there.

Next day...300 miles to KOA in St. Marys Ga.....Ga. Exit #1. After that, a short run 3 (?) hours to WDW...and you're rested at arrival. Fort Wilderness... make sure you have a reservation. MUST. If not...many CGs in the area. But find one and reserve a site. WDW is popular, y'know.

Some do the trip in 2 days...others, like me, in 3...still others do it non-stop. Your choice...and have a great time. Be aware, however, that Disney (FT. Wilderness) does NOT allow dogs in the CG. However, they do offer a on-site kennel ($$).

Now for traffic, I would recommend the Baltimore By-Pass (NOT the tunnel) then the DC Beltway, then the Richmond ByPass (unless you are stopping at the Americamp CG.) I-695, I-495 then I-295.