cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie to Quartzsite

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are considering a winter trip to Quartzsite this year and just had a couple of questions. If we stay in the BLM dry camp area, where is the best spot to get our fresh water and where we can dump our sewer? My search is not showing any specific spots for either, but with the amount of RVs there, I would believe there must be easy access. Also, some of the photos and videos that I am seeing on line, there are ATVs parked in town, is it acceptable to ride from the dry camping area into town or will local law enforcement take us to task? JH
8 REPLIES 8

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
See we like to park on the back side of the big mall, that way I can get my Big Smith overalls and we will still be close to Lowells store open in a few month just a block away. Can wait for trhat to open. Than when the airport opens with serive from Phx. La. Slc, Denver, Souix Falls, and K.C too. I will move a lot of RV out quick.
So big a world, so little time to see.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
What is the attraction for quartzite anyways? It is a road stop town in the middle of the desert. I pass thru it many times a year and have never understood why so many RV'ers stay there. In mid winter I know they do have a large swap meet and rock collector show. Otherwise a whole lot of nothing there!

...and that's when folks go there..in January/February when the crowds are there and there's something to do. Also, many people meet up with specialized groups - friends, 4-wheeling groups, hiking groups, rock collectors, specific RV groups, etc. It's like class reunions. ๐Ÿ™‚ Once you walk through the swap meets there's no need to do them again so people just hang out with their own groups and do like things, have potlucks, sit around the campfire and generally, just be with like-minded people. We generally go and stay with our specific group until our tanks are full and our fresh water is gone. That's about 12 days. Then we're off to new surroundings.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
What is the attraction for quartzite anyways? It is a road stop town in the middle of the desert. I pass thru it many times a year and have never understood why so many RV'ers stay there. In mid winter I know they do have a large swap meet and rock collector show. Otherwise a whole lot of nothing there!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a local (Arizona) off-road site with more info, http://ridingarizona.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23391&highlight=road+sticker You need to register on the site but it is FREE to get the info. Sites name is RidingArizonadotcom.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
ATVs, UTVs & Dirt Bikes can be ridden/driven on the streets but there are requirements (not that most in Quartzsite follow them). You must have turning signals, brake light, rear view mirror & an Arizona Off-Road sticker or an Off-Road sticker from another state that has a reciprocating agreement with Arizona. California does not so you have to get an AZ sticker, Utah does. Also I believe you have to have insurance, I do on ALL of my Toys. If you have an accident on the streets it is no different than in a car or pickup so your assets are at risk. You also have to be careful how you apply for an Arizona Off-Road sticker. There are a couple of options and have different results and insurance requirements. If you ride any where in AZ other than private property even including AZ State Trust Lands, BLM, National or State Forest an AZ Off-Road Sticker is required. AZ has stepped up enforcement and I have heard of a lot more tickets. AZ needs the funds. Good Luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Amateur radio rvers stay at mile post 99 off hwy 95 south of town. Thousands of hams from all over the country and Canada. We like the pit stop couple of miles north of town on 95 for dumping and filling up with water. I believe it is open 24/7. They also have propane.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
micpib1 wrote:
If we stay in the BLM dry camp area, where is the best spot to get our fresh water and where we can dump our sewer?
Your best bet is La Posa South BLM, about 3 miles south of town on the east side of 95. Here: 33.62451,-114.212249

There's a "dry dump" which 1/4 mi in from the main gate. That means no RVs, just blue boys, and no rinse water.

The full dump station, garbage and water concession are about a mile in from the gate.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are several places in Q where you can take on water and dump the used stuff. The Pit Stop on Hwy-95 in town is the most well known. There are also mobile guys who will deliver water and dump your tanks where you are camped. I don't have an ATV but I see them everywhere. There are desert trails to town which might be the route they take.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line