cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern VA, WVA Campgrounds with Water Access?

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking for places to take my travel trailer recently. Two weeks ago we went to The Cove Campround in Gore, VA which was awesome. Fishing, shooting range, swimming, and all around a good experience.

Anyone know of any places along the Potomac or Shenandoah that would be similar? I don't mind VA, WVA, or PA, but I try to avoid MD whenever possible. We're looking for places to fish, swim, and if possible shoot. I just really want to avoid the clear cut, you park here, this is your "camping" spot.

Ideas? I looked in this thread, but didn't see much for this area so hopefully others can find this useful too.
15 REPLIES 15

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
Just booked a three night trip to Shenandoah River State Park. Can't wait. Going the Thursday after Labor Day, I'd rather avoid traffic and all the people.

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you are looking for, we stay at Wapacomo campground at Romney WV. It is on the Potomac river and has river swimming. There is also canoe rentals close by. The Potomac river has good fishing and is very scenic through "The Trough". Bald Eagles are always seen when floating the Trough. The campground has a web site.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

LumpyOatmeal
Explorer
Explorer
"Outlanders" near Luray Va. and "Shenandoah River State Park" near Bentonville, Va. both have Shenandoah River access and lots of hiking trails.

Enjoy, Allan:)

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
NoVa RT wrote:
I don't mind VA, WVA, or PA, but I try to avoid MD whenever possible.

To each his own, but if you're 62, Maryland State Parks allow even out-of-state residents to get free day use & half-price camping Sun-Thurs with its $10 Senior Pass. That's a better deal than my own state gives me, and the parks I've tried have been pretty good, although maybe not for shooting.

I am exactly 30 years away from 62 🙂

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
mdprowash wrote:
Curious as to why do you try to avoid MD? The state parks here are pretty **** nice....

I'll let him answer your question if he chooses, but I bet I avoid Maryland for the same reason.

I'm one of those guys who likes freedom; especially those protected by the Constitution.

donnieR32
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the additional suggestions. Actually just got back from a four day trip to Christopher Run Campground at Lake Anna. I cannot believe how close those spots are. I was about 2 ft from my electrical box and when my right side neighbor arrived I had about 2 ft from the end of my awning to his bump out. Not to mention the sewers were basically attached to the potable water. Not a place I'll go back to, but I will say it was an adventure and that's part of the fun.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
mdprowash wrote:
Curious as to why do you try to avoid MD? The state parks here are pretty **** nice....

I'll let him answer your question if he chooses, but I bet I avoid Maryland for the same reason.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
RGar974417 wrote:
Trout Pond in West Virginia. Sherando Lake and Goose Point in Virginia.
Shhhhhh, Randy, I wish you'd stop telling people about 3 of my most fav places, it's getting pretty hard to get a site in Sherando C Loop, and Goose Point is nearly impossible, and we've seen Trout Pond full a few times. :B;)
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Trout Pond in West Virginia. Sherando Lake and Goose Point in Virginia.

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Bull Run Regional Park and Bull Run Marina Regional Park near Manassas VA. Together they may interest you.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to suggest Point Lookout SP in Md, especially if you can go during the week when the "hoards" from NoVa are not there. It's a great place.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind VA, WVA, or PA, but I try to avoid MD whenever possible.

To each his own, but if you're 62, Maryland State Parks allow even out-of-state residents to get free day use & half-price camping Sun-Thurs with its $10 Senior Pass. That's a better deal than my own state gives me, and the parks I've tried have been pretty good, although maybe not for shooting.
2013 RT 190-Popular

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Parks with fishing,swimming, hiking boating & a variety of other activities are everywhere, but Not really sure you're going to find many with shooting, especially not State Parks or Federal Parks.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund