cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

October in Colorado?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas on where to Rv in Colorado the 2nd week of October. I'm thinking southern Colorado due to the lower elevations, but I'm open to other ideas. I would prefer to be on the East side of the Rockies if possible.

Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Once again in Buena Vista this month, then on to Cottonwood for a week and then Ouray second week in Sept to find gold - no, not panning, looking at aspens!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to go East I would recommend The Natchez Trace take it from Nashville south to Natchez.

In October the weather should be great along this route.

About 500 miles long with no stop signs, traffic lights or commercial traffic.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Powell is awesome. We are spending a week there starting Sunday.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been at the lake the last few days...Trying to get the last few days of lake camping out of the way.

After talking with the wife and looking at our schedules I think we are going to make the trip to Colorado next June. We have 2 small kids, 1 if 1st grade the other in day care so school and work can be an issue. Our goal is to hit Durango and the surrounding area for 5 days then head west to Glen Canyon for a couple of days, maybe rent a UTV in Colorado and rent a boat at Lake Powell. After that work our way back to Ok through New Mexico, roughly a 11-13 day trip, we can't really take that long this October due to school and work. I've never camped west of the continental divide so it will be something new.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a bit of a clarification on my previous response. I also agree that October can be a wonderful month to see Colorado, particularly if the timing can be last week of September, and first week or so of October.

My perspective in the previous response was from a USFS CG point of view. That's what my experiences have been the last few seasons. In 2017 we took a trip to the Grand Canyon, in late September and early October. Took US 285 to US 160 through Denver, Salida, Pagosa Springs and Durango. The colours were absolutely magnificent, right at their peak in many places. The drive was very pleasant, no real challenges.

We did notice that a goodly number of the USFS CGs that were accessible along those roads were already closed for the season, notably along US 160. But many of the commercial campgrounds/RV Parks were still open, and looked like they were still doing a good business. We had reservations in Durango going out to GCNP, and stayed in Mesa Verde at Morefield CG inside the park coming back, on their last week of operations.

If you want to consider areas further west, WEST of the Continental Divide, these and other areas already mentioned would be a good option.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Having worked in the Rockies in every month of the year, I can guarantee that camping and sightseeing in the Colorado mountains in October beats May every year. Just a couple of reasons: Trail Ridge Road in RMNP never opens before Memorial Day weekend due to snowplowing, but lately has still been open in early October, and USFS campgrounds at higher elevations and some beautiful state parks generally do not open before mid- to late May.

We camped in the Ridgway-Lake City-Gunnison area in early October last fall in gorgeous weather and with aspen in Lake City and on Monarch Pass still at their peak. The first weekend in October 2016, the aspen along Colorado 17 on Cumbres and La Manga passes was the most beautiful fall color I have ever seen in my 55 years in Coloado! In May, those aspen won't even have leaves yet.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
Except May won't be hunting season ๐Ÿ™‚ But I'd agree, like weather wise, May is about equal to October. Mother's Day weekend is notorious for one last snow storm that kills everyone's spring flowers, even down here on the front range. Last year we went camping the first weekend of May up at Flatiron Reservoir (so not very high up), and had beautiful weather, around 80 degrees. It snowed the next weekend.

October is a much better month for camping in the mountains than May.

Iโ€™ve found it unusual to have snow on the ground in October. You will still have large drifts in May.

And Iโ€™m not sure what hunting season has to do with it? Unless the tags you have conflict with your camping schedule......
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I worked in Denver in 1981 & 82. I remember a huge snow storm the last week of Oct. in 82 I believe and it caught everyone including the street department by surprise. As I remember it was 20" plus with some really good drifts.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Except May won't be hunting season ๐Ÿ™‚ But I'd agree, like weather wise, May is about equal to October. Mother's Day weekend is notorious for one last snow storm that kills everyone's spring flowers, even down here on the front range. Last year we went camping the first weekend of May up at Flatiron Reservoir (so not very high up), and had beautiful weather, around 80 degrees. It snowed the next weekend.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
Thom02099 wrote:
DinTulsa wrote:
Looking for ideas on where to Rv in Colorado the 2nd week of October. I'm thinking southern Colorado due to the lower elevations, but I'm open to other ideas. I would prefer to be on the East side of the Rockies if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Altitude is not necessarily lower. Latitude is the factor.

To be on the east side of the Rockies, I can only presume that you may be referring to areas around Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Canon City...that general area. Pueblo is a lower elevation (4700 feet). Colorado Springs is around 6000 feet. Canon City is ~5300 feet. Other areas - Trinidad is around 6000 feet, Walsenburg around 6200 feet. Alamosa in the San Luis Valley is around 7500 feet.

Now, compare this to the Denver area, around 5200-5400 feet or the Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley/Windsor area of around 4500-5200. Lower elevations are in the northern areas, not southern areas.

When you say "east of the Rockies" are you referring to east of the Continental Divide? That's a bit different. But again, altitude and latitude are factors.

In October, there will not be very much open here in northern Colorado as far as RMNP or USFS CGs are concerned. There's a few that will be open until the latter part of October, but are weather dependent. In southern Colorado, there's the Pike National Forest and the San Isabel National Forest, which covers a huge area. And again, altitude and latitude will affect whether places are open or closed for the season. Many places have seasons that run from Memorial Day to just after Labour Day. Others might extend to mid October. Not too many places go beyond that.

If you're looking at commercial CG/RV Parks, you're going to likely find more in southern Colorado in the areas mentioned above, than here in northern Colorado. Commercial CG/RV Parks in the mountains EAST of the Divide will vary wildly in their seasons. Best bet would be to choose a city/town, and then go to rvparkreviews.com and search there for what might suit your needs.

Yes sir, I was talking East of the continental divide. After doing a little more research I'm thinking we will wait until next May\June to make the trip to Colorado. We live in Tulsa Ok and are looking for somewhere roughly 10-11 hours in either direction. After looking at the weather and what might be open\closed, I think we have decided to head east to Tennessee. The weather will be a little warmer and there should be a few more areas open. Thank you for your response, I will research the areas you listed for our trip next year.

You are not likely to have any more or better options if you try to come back next May than you will in mid-October.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
Looking for ideas on where to Rv in Colorado the 2nd week of October. I'm thinking southern Colorado due to the lower elevations, but I'm open to other ideas. I would prefer it be on the East side of the Rockies if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Thom has given you good info, but if you are wanting to see some great areas I'll give you a few - look to Mesa Verde then over into Utah.

Monument Valley and Lake Powell in Southern Utah. October is still warm and Beautiful in the Southwest you might catch a Snow day in the mountain's but it almost always is gone in a few hours.

If I had the choice I'd go west before I headed to Tennessee.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
DinTulsa wrote:

Thanks in advance.

To be on the east side of the Rockies, I can only presume that you may be referring to areas around Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Canon City...that general area. Pueblo is a lower elevation (4700 feet). Colorado Springs is around 6000 feet. Canon City is ~5300 feet. Other areas - Trinidad is around 6000 feet, Walsenburg around 6200 feet. Alamosa in the San Luis Valley is around 7500 feet.

Now, compare this to the Denver area, around 5200-5400 feet or the Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley/Windsor area of around 4500-5200. Lower elevations are in the northern areas, not southern areas.

When you say "east of the Rockies" are you referring to east of the Continental Divide? That's a bit different. But again, altitude and latitude are factors.

In October, there will not be very much open here in northern Colorado as far as RMNP or USFS CGs are concerned. There's a few that will be open until the latter part of October, but are weather dependent. In southern Colorado, there's the Pike National Forest and the San Isabel National Forest, which covers a huge area. And again, altitude and latitude will affect whether places are open or closed for the season. Many places have seasons that run from Memorial Day to just after Labour Day. Others might extend to mid October. Not too many places go beyond that.

If you're looking at commercial CG/RV Parks, you're going to likely find more in southern Colorado in the areas mentioned above, than here in northern Colorado. Commercial CG/RV Parks in the mountains EAST of the Divide will vary wildly in their seasons. Best bet would be to choose a city/town, and then go to rvparkreviews.com and search there for what might suit your needs.

Yes sir, I was talking East of the continental divide. After doing a little more research I'm thinking we will wait until next May\June to make the trip to Colorado. We live in Tulsa Ok and are looking for somewhere roughly 10-11 hours in either direction. After looking at the weather and what might be open\closed, I think we have decided to head east to Tennessee. The weather will be a little warmer and there should be a few more areas open. Thank you for your response, I will research the areas you listed for our trip next year.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
State Parks will be open. Cheyenne Mountain and Mueller are nice. So is the area around the Great Sand Dunes.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
DinTulsa wrote:

Thanks in advance.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.