cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon caves

Sandra
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone been to Oregon caves?.Where to stay with a 36 foot motor home?
8 REPLIES 8

Sandra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info.We made reservations at Country hills RV. They have a motel so our family can stay close.

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
We were JUST there last month! We stayed at Velley of the Rogue State Park and it was a little over an hour to get to the caves. We left the campground at 8 and got there at about 9:15 or so. We wanted to be on one of the first tours because as the day goes on, the wait gets longer. On our drive to the caves we saw a bear! One of the highlights of our trip!! The tour is very cool, you need to be able to stoop and do the cave walk (Hands on knees)!

I did see some private campgrounds along the drive, but the drive is so beautiful the hour flew by!

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Went back and checked rv parks review,but it's messed up on my computer and is over printing. However, Good Sam says there is one in O'brien,2 in Selma and three in Cave Junction. Last time, I took the family, we parked the '32 TT in the parking lot at the visitor center and drove the Excursion up to the caves.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Been there several times and have never had to stay down at the bottom. It is definitely not a place to take anything but a small B or C. Not enuff parking at the top and the road is kinda twisty. There is a NFS cg near the bottom and another part way up.The first time I was there was in'60 and spent the whole summer wandering thru the caves with people following behind me. The second time was the next summer and I was a short order cook and guidd after my shift. Left ust before the 4th weekend as they got cheap and paid me as a guide,not a cook. Hummmmm. Have been back a number times since then, but they have changed the trip and made a couple of new tunnels and IMHO, have down sized the experience. It is still an awesome etrip and definitely worth the trip up.
Have fun.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few campgrounds close to Cave Junction if needed. Cave Junction and the Oregon Caves are about 30 miles out of Grants Pass which has quite a few campgrounds. Been to Oregon Caves quite a bit and every time I go...I see something else.
cpaulsen

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valley of the Rogue state park is about 60 miles up the road. It is a good base for visiting the area. Dont forget historic Jacksonville, Oregon Vortex both just a short drive away.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We've been there and really enjoyed it.
But we stayed at Harris Beach SP, as a base to explore the region.
I remember there being a few CGs, along 199, between the Caves and Grants Pass.

Don't try driving up to the Caves in a large MH, so hope you have a toad.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
forgive me for posting this post. But I have always wanted to go to the Oregon caves but it never happened. One for my bucket list I guess. I will have to follow your post just so I can remember where they are. I'm so old now I have forgotten where they are, I need help. LOL