cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our first RV trip... we decided Colorado?? Must see what???

PatRenee
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we just bought our first TT and are going full time.. Our first trip will be in June till next October then home to Houston area... We want to stay a month at each place so we can get sites cheaper.. Any suggestions as to Campsites are areas to visit .. we are in early 50's and enjoy fishing and outdoors... Thanks...
15 REPLIES 15

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We have been RVing for 10 years since our retirement in 06. I just reviewed our trip journal for our first 6 week trip--we have really changed the way we RV. We still go for 3-4 months each summer but have learned to stay longer like you are planning. We really like the western slope of the Rockies in Colorado--really the Durango area that we have visited for almost 45 years. Don't forget that New Mexico--really like Santa Fe-is great in Sept and Oct. Also, Big Bend and Alpine in west Texas--another favorite. Utah is another gem and of course Az with the Grand Canyon--we are going back this summer for about 3 weeks there to include a 6 day float down the Colorado River in the Canyon. Have a great time, enjoy it all! Any questions--fire off an email or message.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain View RV Resort in Canon City is very nice and close to lots of nice places to see. You are very close to the Royal Gorge, Cripple Creek, Colorado Springs, and Manitou Springs just to name a few.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Come spend a month at Gunnison Lakeside RV park & Cabins Blue Mesa Res.is right across the highway great views good fishing cool weather and lots to see in the area.If you have any questions PM me will be glad to help.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We go to a park at Southfork Co. Its easy to get to and a lot of activities. Probably 4-5 good fishing lakes. We stay at Fun Valley as they have a lot of things going on plus we can stay thee for about 16.00 a night. We will stay 2-3 months. They have a band and dancing, church services golf arcade, about 10 fishing ponds on the grounds. The park is kind of old but they are upgrading electric and buildings. They do not take reservations, but with about 400 rv sights they do not send people away. A good area for a lot of things to do.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This blog post might be of interest -- lots of photos:

A month in Colorado --part 1 of 4
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
The popular places fill up early. If I had to pick *one* and it would be tough, I'd pick Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

But since I live here, I'm glad I don't have to pick just one. ๐Ÿ™‚

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
PatRenee wrote:
Thanks everyone.... that's plenty of info..... now we live near Houston.. I was thinking of going to Colorado via Las Vegas.... but not sure yet... now with your info I might go straight to Co. in May and come home next Thanksgiving.... Thanks again...now I have to research the cheapest "nice" parks and make reservations...

Coming from Las Vegas there is also a whole lot to see and do in northern Arizona, southern Utah. Mostly the canyon country that just starts in Colorado. Much of the area is reservation, and so deliberately not developed. Much of the rest is lightly developed because there were not a lot of roads built, and not a lot of people attracted to settlement on high desert, which is naturally beautiful but a hard place to scratch out a living.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

PatRenee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.... that's plenty of info..... now we live near Houston.. I was thinking of going to Colorado via Las Vegas.... but not sure yet... now with your info I might go straight to Co. in May and come home next Thanksgiving.... Thanks again...now I have to research the cheapest "nice" parks and make reservations...

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you want to see? Everyone has different interests. I don't think there is much of anything that is universally "must see" except for some uniquely preserved ancient city sites or rare geologic features, and even so, you have to be interested in those things.

For camping and fishing I recommend Curecanti National Recreation Area. This has 10 campgrounds to choose among. You'll need a boat for access to the best fishing areas, I'm pretty sure they can be rented locally.

My kids like the area around Rocky Mountain National Park. An abundance of recreational opportunities and easy access from urban Colorado make this one of the busiest parks in the system.

My favorites are where I can see the geology. Black Canyon on the upper Gunnison River, Royal Gorge on the upper Arkansas River, and Colorado National Monument where the Gunnison joins the Colorado and starts cutting into the Colorado Plateau to create canyon country (which is mostly in southern Utah and northern Arizona.

Interested in pre-Columbian culture? Then Mesa Verde in southwestern Colorado, although you will find more of these settlements more or less along the Rio Grande in central and northeast New Mexico.

Old mining towns in a beautiful mountain setting, with lots of resort visitors and active sports activies? Durango in southwestern Colorado.

Do you want to soak in hot springs? Colorado has a couple dozen locations, my preference is Steamboat Springs, a major winter resort that stays active through the summer.

Other people visit the cities along the Front Range. Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins each offer a different flavor of urban life with the Rocky Mountains in the background. I like the atmosphere in Boulder, some of my friends keep going back to Colorado Springs in the shadow of Pike's Peak.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

sltrawick
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you want to do. We spend 2 1/2 weeks last summer in Colorado. We went white water rafting, zip lining, hiking. Saw a concert at Red Rocks. Lists of stuff
Sharon-ME
Cameron-DH
Bella-14 - Dachshund/Chihuahua Mix-Chiweenie) Crossed the Rainbow bridge July 1, 2021
Rocko - 4 months - Mini Dachshund
Panama City, FL
FSU SEMINOLES

2013 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
We use Mountaindale RV Resort for our base when we are around the Colorado Springs area. They have monthly rates.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Off the beaten path is an area of Colorado that meets your criteria and has less people now than 100 years ago. Highway of Legends/Highway 12 West from Trinidad Colorado.
You can choose to stay at Trinidad Lake State Park or go on up to Monument Lake or even higher up to Bear Lake You would be boon docking at Bear Lake.
Monument Lake and Bear Lake and its neighbor Blue Lake are stocked lakes.
If you like hikes check out West Spanish Peak
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever you want to go do a Google search for `_______ tourism' and put the town, state or area in the blank space and read what the experts recommend for their location.
If you have enough time they will even send out a free vacation guide for Colorado.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:
PatRenee wrote:
Hi we just bought our first TT and are going full time.. Our first trip will be in June till next October then home to Houston area... We want to stay a month at each place so we can get sites cheaper.. Any suggestions as to Campsites are areas to visit .. we are in early 50's and enjoy fishing and outdoors... Thanks...

From an old post

Hope this is of some help,

LOTS of great information in Busskipper's attachment. Hard to expand on what he's already provided with this link. We'd really need to know more about what you like besides outdoors and fishing. Do you like urban or rural areas? Are you into history and historical sites? Archaeological/prehistoric sites? Do you like to hike? Do you have experiences at high altitudes? Do you have certain areas of the state in mind, or a particular idea of what you want to see? Colorado is a very diverse state, so the more input you can provide, the better we can provide info to add to Bill's excellent guide.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.