cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our New Orleans Stay

Flyin38
Explorer
Explorer
Only my first post originally posted in wrong category. On Feb 5 we arrived in New Orleans. We checked the good Sam site to find a resort near the French Corridor as we did not want to tow a vehicle this trip. FQRV resort looks pretty nice in the pictures but we want to share our reality. Although we have only been full timers for a short time it was by FAR the NOISEST place we ever stayed in. Noises from outside the park. Traffic and Sirens were the worst. We thought the facility over priced for what you were getting. Yes you were close but walking wasn't an option. I grew up in Detroit in the 60's and did not feel safe on the few block walk to where you could feel safe. You will notice when you get the Razor Blades on the tall walls surrounding the facility. No not barb wire. You did hear me correctly Razor blade metal pieces. Before you leave you will understand fully just why.
16 REPLIES 16

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed the FQ RV park doing an over-nighter there. It's a clean nice park. Well groomed sites, all paved and grass. My only complaint was the cost. I walked to the French Qtr at night. Ate at the Acme Oyster bar, stopped at bars for some music, drinks and cigar. Walked back at night. I was by myself. Yes, there are a couple of dark alleys on the way over.

During the day I parked my motorcycle in the FQ and when I came back I saw I left me keys in it. Not recommended but WTH.

My only objection was $100/night. I'd consider Ponchatrain.

NO is a dirty and wild place. It's awesome.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Mardi Gras in 1970 and had a great place to stay. I was 24 and in the Navy at the time on an aircraft carrier. They took her up the Mississippi and parked her at the foot of Canal Street. We set up about 1,000 cots in the hangar bay for use by the visiting school marching bands. And I had 5 days and nights to party. What little I remember was wonderful. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention any blood stains or chalk body outlines so it was a good visit.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slidel is a nice little lake-front town. The French Quarter is the French Quarter. Come on!

We go to NO every year in mid December, but don't take the trailer. We drive over and stay at La Belle Masion on Magazine Street just off of Canal. Noisy? Yes! Drunk? Yes! Great Food? Yes! If the great food didn't come with side orders of noisy drunks it wouldn't be New Orleans!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
katfish wrote:
Slidell is on the outskirts of New Orleans. I would stay in Bay St Louis Ms. If I

I wanted to go to New Orleans.
Being thirty minutes north and on the other side of Lake Ponchartrain is hardly "the outskirts" of New Orleans. But I would feel much safer in Slidell than in the area of the French Quarter RV Resort.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Slidell is on the outskirts of New Orleans. I would stay in Bay St Louis Ms. If I

I wanted to go to New Orleans.
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Slidell where?
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

notlost
Explorer
Explorer
with all the talk about safety, can someone tell me how Slidell rates? we heard the elks lodge was very nice there, but i don't want to go if it's not safe?
we also are considering bayou segnette sp...any other thoughts?
thanks
Dominic & Sue Ambrosino
Fulltimers Travelin' the U.S.A.
"All who wander are Not Lost"
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 42',Cat 525

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Uh excuse me, you were parked right next to I-10 downtown in a major city and you complain about noise! I would have been amazed if it had not been noisy. Yes the do have protection on top of the walls which is good, I have been in other RV parks where I wish they had some type of barrier to entry.

I lived in NO for several years and have visited dozens of times since then. First there is much more to NO than the FQ you don't have to hang out there particularly late at night. More crime in 15 minutes, come on, in dozens of visits the only crime I have ever seen was drunk in public.

Now I would not walk from the RV park at night to the French Quarter that's what cabs are far, why tempt fate, but there are also many other cities I would not move around in after dark. Pontchartrain Landing or Bayou Segnette or other choices for quiet and more perceived safety.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Post your review on www.rvparkreviews.com

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best way to "see" Naw Lins is to stay at Ponchartrain Landing. They have a shuttle to take you to the French Quarter and pick you up four times a day. Stay for 2,4,6,8 hours. You won't need a toad. Our site, right on the water had it's own private jacuzzi. It sits on the channel between Lake Ponchartrain and the Mississippi. When not downtown, you can watch the boats go up and downstream.

Click the link and scroll down for pics...Dennis

Ponchartrain Landing

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We were in NOLA at the same time you were, but we had driven down, stayed in a hotel and took a cruise out of the port. We arrived on Saturday, Jan 31 and cruised out on Monday, Feb 2. Got back off the cruise on the following Saturday. We had a grand time and yes, it was during Mardi Gras. I had been to NOLA on 4 other occasions, but this was the most fun, exciting time I have ever had. I saw more naked or near naked, suggestive, lewd debachery than I have ever seen before and I, also, am retired LEO.

There were 9 of us, so we never really felt unsafe, but we were always together and no one went off on their own.

That being said, we did not stay in the FQ, but drove into Meterarie for our hotel and would do it again.

We also drove past the FQ RV Park and it looked to be in a rough part of town, but close to everything.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Several years ago we made a stop in New Orleans (NO). We stayed in a hotel near Burbon St. I'm retired LEO and without a dought consider NO a Two Gun town. We took walk around after dark and it did not take long until my wife stated she was ready to go back to the hotel. In her own words she stated "I've seen more crime in fifteen minutes on Burbon Street than she dad seen in her intire life".

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

mds47588
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that you visited New Orleans, but as others have stated Mardi Gras is anything but quiet. For your next visit may I suggest Bayou Segnette State Park. It is only 11 miles from the quarter and is quiet, cleans, safe, with clean bath-houses and FREE laundry. no sewer though, but there is a dump station.

lotsa stuff to see and do in N'awlinz besides Bourbon Street.
-2019 Forest River Wildcat 312RLI
-- Pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500
-- 4WD/Dbl Cab/Reg Bed/3.42rr

...Full timing for work, currently in Nashville...