cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pennsylvania RV campgrounds

Luna18
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking for places near The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania and Flight 93 memorial

We need a site for a 42 ft 5th wheel

Looking for a nice place for a week.

Thanks

Bob
Ohio
20 REPLIES 20

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've stayed here a couple of times while visiting family in State College. Nothing fancy, a little expensive, but very convenient to the highways.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Luna18
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Drbolasky......

Will check out KOA....might find two places and hook twice during this trip

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Luna18 wrote:
.......maybe use State College PA as the center point with suggestions around this area.

Thanks again.....Happy Holidays

In that case the Bellefonte/State College KOA would be my pick. Yes, I know many here do not care for KOA's, and for various reasons. We've been to many - this is one of the best. Sites up in the wooded area are a bit larger and afford more privacy. Absolute cleanest bath/lavatory facilities anywhere. Just avoid the time when Arts Fest is going on, usually in the latter half of July.

And happy holidays to you, as well!

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
When deciding on an RV park, particularly around the PA Grand Canyon area, be sure to ask whether they can accommodate an RV as large as yours, and how the roads are getting to and from the RV park. I sure wouldn't want to tow your RV into a couple of the places that have been suggested.
a_flyfisher

Luna18
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your opinions and hints for places to stay.
Still taking suggestions for rv campgrounds half way in between,
maybe use State College PA as the center point with suggestions around this area.

Thanks again.....Happy Holidays

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
About 16 yrs ago we did a camping trip to Ausable Chasm in NY. This was another self proclaimed Grand Canyon. I would bet there's a bunch more scattered about the country.

Mike

If you want to find them, do a Google search for "Grand Canyon (State)".

I did a quick search & found one in WA, MN, TX, etc.

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Pa and I would recommend staying in southern Pa. The Ohiopyle area has a large waterfall and scenic overlooks that are quite nice. Near Ohiopyle is Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and Kentucky Knob. Also Ohioplye has world class white water rafting (many raft companies) as well as hiking and trout fishing. You are about an hour away from Shanksville - Flight 93 memorial.

You are close enough to Pittsburgh to see it's attractions on a day trip or 2. You could also split the trip and stay a few nights in the Gettysburg area. Close to Amish country too.

its_just_me
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
About 16 yrs ago we did a camping trip to Ausable Chasm in NY. This was another self proclaimed Grand Canyon. I would bet there's a bunch more scattered about the country.

Mike
Here in Alabama, we have the Little River Canyon. It is located in northeast Alabama near Ft. Payne. Its about one hour south of Chattanooga, Tenn.
2005 FORD F350 DIESEL DUALLY W/ 28 ft Rockwood TT w/ 3 slides.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
To pasusan - thank you for posting the picture of the PA Grand Canyon, otherwise known as Pine Creek Gorge. Granted, not on the scale of the Arizona Grand Canyon but still impressive in its own right, especially when you remember that the Appalachian Mountains were at one time higher than the Rockies or the Alps. To those who visit us here in the Northeast - do NOT underestimate our mountain roads!! An 8 percent grade is an 8 percent grade whether it is here or in Colorado, so your due diligence is required.

To the OP - consider Canyon Country CG west of Wellsboro, PA. It is only a mile or so if you want to walk/hike to Pine Creek Gorge. Not a big place and not fancy, but they will have a site large enough for your unit. Nice people run the place. In town is the Wellsboro Diner. Excellent food (albeit diner food) at very reasonable prices. Take a side trip to Sabinsville PA and the Patterson Maple Farms. Maple syrup is in production only January through March but the product is equal to any maple syrup that comes out of New England. In addition to three kinds of syrup they also offer maple cream (for coffee) and maple mustard.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately, we visited the real Grand Canyon first, which left us very underwhelmed by both the PA and NY miniature versions. Of the two, I think the NY version is more "canyon like" rather than the forested valley in PA. We visited the PA "canyon" while staying at the Tompkins COE park near Tioga, PA, and the NY "canyon" while staying at Letchworth State Park near Castile, NY.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

journey15
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Hickory Hollow in Somerset is fairly close to Shanksville. We stay there in May and it's very nice. Also if you're in this area, visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater.

+1!!!!
Full Timing June 2015
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I'm left to wonder how grand a canyon can be in Pennsylvania?
Grand enough for me...

We stay at Leonard Harrison SP and walking down the Turkey Path is grand also...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling between the two locations, be sure to check out Benezette(sp?) To see the Pa elk herd. There is a campground linked to the town's store and when we stayed there cow elks walked right through while we were grilling.