cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Places to see in the Southeast

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are heading to the Florida panhandle next March, we're staying there for about a week. After that we'd like to see the sights in Alabama, Louisiana and maybe South and North Carolina. We've never been to this general area, we've been to Wally World twice but not with the RV and don't really want to go further south than the panhandle of Florida. We're going to stop in New Orleans at some point as neither of us has been there. We're also thinking of taking in Biltmore again, we were there but that's a"few" years ago.

I'd love to hear any and all suggestions as to what to see and do in this area. We're not back packers but we do like hike "moderate" trails and visit historical sites.

Thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Another aviation site is the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force in Pooler, GA (Near Savannah).

mighty eighth web site

A narrated river tour of the Savannah river is fun and you learn a lot about the industries of the area.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone mentioned the museum in Pensacola. For what it is worth, there is a great museum at Robins AFB in Warner Robins, Ga (just south of Macon east side of I-75. B-1 bomber (BIG mother!!) outside the door. All free. We spent a couple of hours just walking and looking. Retired crews from the flight line do restoration work on a number of old planes there. We saw several P-51s if that means anything to you young folks. To really see and explore, it could take at least a half day inside and nearly as much outside.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the Panhandle; Mobile; New Orleans; Lake Charles; then up the Great River Road--Plantation Country; Natchez; Vicksburg; Memphis; St Louis; Hanibal; The Dells; etc.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Even more ideas!!! thanks.

Dan

jhfxrtleeh1
Explorer
Explorer
You could always write to the state visitors' bureaus to get additional information -- they may all have websites by now. I

f you're going to be in the north part of Alabama, I second the Space & Rocket Center, and you're close enough to Lynchburg, TN to tour the Jack Daniels facility (really fun tour). Civil War battlefields in TN are also good visits (Chattanooga, Shiloh, even Franklin. Then there's the Helen Keller museum at Ivy Green in Tuscumbia. The Ave Maria Grotto in Cullman is a quirky place, too. I second the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Leeds (outside Birmingham) -- even if you don't like cycles, it's an amazing place with some beautiful bikes. In Georgia, Dahlonaga has a nice little museum on the 1st gold rush in the US. Then if you get over to Mississippi, you have to get to Natchez, and driving the Natchez Trace up to Nashville is beautiful. Have a wonderful trip.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
From St L and just returned from a two week jaunt which took us down to Panama City, FL (St Andrews SP) along the coast, thru NOLA to Palmetto Island SP and back thru MS, KY and home. Spend a most of the time in Florida, Mississippi, & Louisiana. Great time! Depending on your time frame many/most of the Fla parks, you'll need reservations.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

elkhunter7x6
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to RVing but I will second checking out the Blue Ridge Parkway.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
mgh122 wrote:
Try the

Hardeeville RV campground 10 minutes from downtown Savannah. Not fancy but clean and the owners are friendly

Thanks for the tip!

mgh122
Explorer
Explorer
Try the

Hardeeville RV campground 10 minutes from downtown Savannah. Not fancy but clean and the owners are friendly
Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to ALL of you for the great ideas!!

My wife and I started laying out our trip yesterday for early next year. We have a lot of "investigating" to do still but we now, thanks to all of your great suggestions have a better idea of what to see and what to do!

Among the many things that we are planning on seeing are the NNA Museum near Pensacola, New Orleans, The USS Alabama, a stop in/near Oakefenoke Refuge to Stephan Foster S. P.. Savannah GA, Warm Springs, Andersonville and Rock City Gardens. Oh, and Mammoth Cave N. P. on our way back home.

Thanks again you given us GREAT ideas!! :B

Dan

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Andersonville, from there consider Columbus, Ga. Confedarate Naval Museum, Springer Opera House, the River Walk, Infantry Museum on Ft Benning, are just a few specifics. there is a whole historic district near the Springer with other historic homes, including the home of the Inventor of Coca Cola.

Westville village is a restored 1850's town near Columbus with living history events regularly.

Also not far from Columbus is Warm Springs, where Pres Roosevelt established a center for treatment of polio and built his "Little White House"- both historic sites are run by the State Parks dept.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Plains, GA is nearby too. The Plains High School and Carter Boyhood Farm are both interesting to visit... although my Dad wouldn't ever go to the farm to visit.. said he grew up the same only with less... it seems the Carter's had electricity before my Dad's family did. Daddy said he had seen his share of the fields and gardens, since they were farmers within miles of the Carters.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like history, there are things like Andersonville, the Confederate POW camp. The aircraft museum at Pensacola NAS is a great place to visit and there's a bomb museum north of Eglin AFB. We like to walk around the towns of Seaside and Watercolor. We also like to visit some of the State Parks. Wakulla Springs is a little ways away, but definitely worth the time if you like Manatees and want to see Alligators. Fort Pickens is one of the oldest fortifications in the US and located near Pensacola.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest trying to book a site at Huntington Beach State Park just south of Myrtle Beach,SC. They have 130 sites,some with FHU,the rest with water and electric. Some are wooded,some are open. Short walk to the beach.They have a great nature center with nature walks and talks. You're just down the road from Murrels Inlet.They have some good restaurants.Make sure you visit Atalya Castle which is right in the park.

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for NAS in Pensacola. It is home to the blue angels a lot to see at the musem and if you catch right usually on Wednesday you get to watch the blues practice. Henderson beach and Grayton beach are very nice the sand dunes are beautiful and haven't been tore up by hurricanes. There is 30A the road run though a town called seaside this the place where the Truman show was filmed very nice to see. Also in Mobile,Ala the uss Alabama is a nice place to visit. The state parks in Florida are very nice especially in the panhandle.