cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Places to see in the Southeast

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are heading to the Florida panhandle next March, we're staying there for about a week. After that we'd like to see the sights in Alabama, Louisiana and maybe South and North Carolina. We've never been to this general area, we've been to Wally World twice but not with the RV and don't really want to go further south than the panhandle of Florida. We're going to stop in New Orleans at some point as neither of us has been there. We're also thinking of taking in Biltmore again, we were there but that's a"few" years ago.

I'd love to hear any and all suggestions as to what to see and do in this area. We're not back packers but we do like hike "moderate" trails and visit historical sites.

Thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
O P here, thanks for all of the great suggestions! Now we have homework to do.

Thanks again.... ๐Ÿ™‚

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Romer1 wrote:
Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. Surprising how many planes are found in Great Lakes.

X2! Shame on me for forgetting. And its free! Charge for iMax which is worth it. I love the WWII cultural exhibit.

And in New Orleans, National WWII Museum. Need at least 5-6 hours. Maybe more if you like to read all the exhibits. Lots of video stories of veterans.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. Surprising how many planes are found in Great Lakes.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
NE Alabama...Cheaha State Park, Desto State Park, Nocalula Falls in Gadsden, Tuskegee Air Museum near Montgomery, Tanehill near Birmingham, Talladega Super Speedway, Barber Motorsport Museum.

US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is awesome.

Lots of civil war history and civil rights history throughout NE and central Alabama.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Gulf Shores, AL. Destin, FL. Henderson State Park is a decent beach and I believe there is a campground.

Here is a thread on Louisiana: Louisiana Stops

In New Orleans, get a shrimp or oyster poboy, muffaleta, seafood gumbo, and red beans and rice. There are threads on where to stay. I recomend staying on the North Shore at Fairview State Park in Madisonville, LA or Fontainbleu State Park in Mandeville, LA. There is a thread on these parks as well. They are about 15 miles apart. Fairview is on the Tchefuncte River and Madisonville is a pretty little town with a couple nice restaruants. Fontainbleu is about five miles outside Mandeville and located on Lake Ponchartrain. Depending on traffic, you are about an hour to New Orleans via the Causeway Bridge. Do not cross that bridge with an RV though.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Blue Ridge Parkway. Near Asheville you can visit Biltmore, the Vanderbilt estate...quite a place. A great number of nice campgrounds NC, GA, mountains. You'll find great hiking and waterfalls throughout the area.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Smokey Mtns โ€“ (Cherokee, NC or Gatlinburg Area) โ€“ in the Smokeys Clingmans Dome (short hike), lots of waterfalls with moderate hikes.

Atlanta โ€“ Stone Mtn Park (cool hikes, moderate, nice RV park, sky-lift, light show on weekends, etc..) โ€“ lots of action in Atlanta, Aquarium, shopping, sites, museums, shows, big-city, etcโ€ฆ.

NC โ€“ Asheville, lots of action โ€“ cool city, look up Dupont Forest (lots of moderate hikes, with falls), Biltmore

SC โ€“ Outer Banks (a trek from Panhandle) but a cool place

SC- Charleston โ€“ great city, with some great RV parks

GA/SC โ€“ Savannah โ€“ great city, with some great RV parks, history, etcโ€ฆ

Chattanooga, TN โ€“ Cool city, with outdoorsy hikes, aquarium, shows, good eats

Lots of options.....

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like the mountains (Eastern style), north Georgia and upstate South and North Carolina are beautiful. The Helen area in Georgia, around Marion and Asheville, NC (especially the Pisgah National Forest and Great Smoky Mountains) are some of our favorite places. Having lived in the Savannah and Charleston areas, my wife and I love those places, too. It's hard to go wrong.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas! Keep 'em coming!!!

Dan

long_hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Rock City Gardens is beautiful! Lots of trails and rocks throughout nature. It's open year round too! You can view 5 states from Lover's Leap and travel to 7 after leaving! Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, North & South Carolinas Alabama and of course, Georgia.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to see swamps (as in Okeefenokee) check the Stephen Foster State Park. You might have a few bugs but not many if you are there in early March. Alligators, canoe/boat rental, lot of photo opportunity.

If you are not into swamp, then try the Veterans State Park in Cordele, Ga. Huge sites, wifi and cable. On the shores of Lake Blackshear. Nearby sites include Andersonville Historic site from the civil war.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

travelbayshore1
Explorer
Explorer
Southeast USA is filled with history and beauty. Just a quick Google search will yield tons of info. NC and the OBX, as well as the historic coastal towns of New Bern and Beaufort; SC filled with history at Savannah, Charleston; GA with its Stone Mountain and Atlanta, which is itself filled with history; and while in AL, don't miss the USS Alabama. Enjoy!

NORM_WADDELL
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you base out of Gulf Shores Alabama. Look it up
on R V Park Reviews...............many campgrounds.........
email me for further
L NORMAN WADDELL
30 FOOT ALLEGRO
SATURN TOAD
WIFE AND 2 DOGS SUGAR BEAR & COCO BEAR

mgh122
Explorer
Explorer
You could go farther east and check out Savanna GA, Charleston SC, Myrtle Beach NC then hit the Outer Banks. Savanna has a great St Patrick day parade. We did this route heading north from Key West and had a great time.
Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"