cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please help re Florida

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone - after trying Florida, Texas and Arizona, I'm considering a tour of California this winter. I usually prefer state parks, but will also take private campgrounds this time. Can anyone suggest places that I could use for a base to explore LA and San Francisco? And how bad (or horrible) should I expect the traffic to be? Also, is Yosemite do-able in late November/early December? Any places in CA you like to winter over? Any tips and info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Paleo_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys - the brain wasn't awake yet. Of course I meant California.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Look at campgrounds in the California Delta, very close to San Francisco and a couple hours from Yosemite and Lake Tahoe/Reno. It is about four hours from the Avenue of the Giants Redwoods. Never snows, some rain, a little fog, and very laid back for California. Any road into San Francisco will have traffic. Expect it and travel outside the commute hours.

X2, Very centrally located for a base camp. We live in the Delta area and do find it to be easy to get to many places without much trouble. Traffic is much better in the SF area than in the LA area, but still congested at times. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP did also ask for "tips," I'll offer one. Save your time,money (You generally get what you pay for.), and frustration, and return to Florida!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
3oaks wrote:

Other, helpful, people knew and actually answered the O.P.s question without ridiculing.

THIS is the only ridiculing post I see in this thread.

Maybe the title is right and the question posted is wrong.
Lighten up.

I could not think of a LA or San Francisco in Florida
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:

Other, helpful, people knew and actually answered the O.P.s question without ridiculing.

THIS is the only ridiculing post I see in this thread.

Maybe the title is right and the question posted is wrong.
Lighten up.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
JAXFL wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
The title of this post is: "Please help re Florida." :h:h:h

X 2 ?????
Funny how some people just can't figure it out. I guess some are just slow. :R

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

Maybe the OP had their map upside down? They confused the left coast with the right coast..:)

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

X 2 ?????
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
SF is a bit cold. I wouldn't go in the winter. Traffic in LA is really bad but there are lots of nice places south of LA.(nice but not cheap if near the coast)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at campgrounds in the California Delta, very close to San Francisco and a couple hours from Yosemite and Lake Tahoe/Reno. It is about four hours from the Avenue of the Giants Redwoods. Never snows, some rain, a little fog, and very laid back for California. Any road into San Francisco will have traffic. Expect it and travel outside the commute hours.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
LA traffic is absolutely horrible I was there this past winter

if you can get in the best place we found was Walnut RV Park Northridge California we stayed there February 2015

Mostly permanents but they must have to keep about 10-12 site for transients - bet it is a zoning thing

I paid $ 272 with tax for a week or about $39 a day

For SF we stayed at the KOA in Petaluma in Feb of 14 and took the ferry into the city we got a weekly rate there too it was $289 for the week
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite that late in the year could be tricky, I'm not sure. Maybe someone from California will chime in. We were there the first part of June and it wasn't hot.

We did that coast along with some spots in California. We routed our trip so we were at least 100 miles out from LA.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!