cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please please- Do you know this place

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dream......... OK, kinda dramatic, but I am hoping someone would be so kind as to share where this place is. It is cool in August--- has water very close by--- and possibly a nice little golf course close also. Hopefully it will be within a days drive of Central Texas- and I can promise you one thing- it is not here. Really would love to hear any suggestions, even if it doesn't have water and golf- desperately need to find a cool place to go.
24 REPLIES 24

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, New Mexico will be the closest to your location in CenTex. The Sacramento Mountains -- Mayhill, Ruidoso, etc. -- are probably the closest. However, the southern Sangre de Cristos are not that much further and are higher up, cooler, especially the Enchanted Circle area (Red River, Eagle Nest, Angel Fire). Golf, mountain biking, hiking, streams and lakes with fishing, RV parks, state parks, pretty much the whole gamut.

Lynn

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with others - Ruidoso, NM is the coolest, closest place from central Texas...not sure of the golf course though...better check. We're not golfers.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Check out Ruidoso, NM. Comes close depending on the RV park you select.

+1
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We like Spring Lake RV Park in Crossville TN. On the same road as Fairfield Glade Community and Golf Course. It's on the Cumberland Plateau and is always cooler than the valley. They have shady spots in the front and non shady newer sites around a small lake in the rear. Quiet, friendly, convenient. Reasonable rates. During the afternoon it can briefly get in the mid 80's but at night it drops to the low to mid 60's. Always a nice breeze.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
Check out Ruidoso, NM. Comes close depending on the RV park you select.

Or Cloudcroft.
I need some wild

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think Wichita Mountains would be much cooler. The altitude isn't that high.

Eagle Nest SP in NM might be a possibility.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, you're talking about Michigan. Lots of water and golf. It's been 85-90 for a week and that's the longest time with the warmest temps in probably three years. I think I've used my AC for about ten days so far this summer. Currently it's 70*.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
One more vote for Lake City or Vail.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
Our back up August plan is usually Mayhill area of New Mexico, but other cooler elevations anywhere in a days drive would be nice. A place for Kayaking, fly fishing, golf, a shade tree to whittle under would all be icing on the cake. It's possible we might head out on a 2 day travel to get the most - but lower 80 degree temps and even cooler are being sought.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
within a days drive of Central Texas
and cool in August simply cannot be found together.

I will add my voice to those who suggest New Mexico or Colorado. About the closest to a days drive (I have done it from East Texas) would be Santa Fe, NM. I'm sure there are golf courses there, and I know for sure there is one up the road in Taos.

OK, I've left out the large body of water, but two out of three ain't bad. Maybe you could find all three within another day's drive. Maybe Gunnison or Buena Vista.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Ok here we go.....I can give you cool, close to water and amazing golf....but not that close to Texas.....Bandon, Oregon.

pipers_family
Explorer
Explorer
Great ideas- will be checking them out. Have RV, will travel- it's time to explore cooler places than Texas.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We typically go to the South Fork area of southern Colorado each July or August. Over 8,000' elevation means lows in the 40's/50's and highs in the 70's/low 80's. A lot of RV parks in the area, several rivers, several mountain lakes, and several golf courses in nearby towns. Beautiful area with great summer weather.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge just North of Lawton at Medicine Park OKLA is a neat place with hills and lots of lakes and tree shade... The camp site there is called DORIS CAMP with both electric and non-electric sites...

We always had a great time there during the summer months... Wildlife including Buffalo roam free throughout the refuge..

Kids will go crazy watching the Prairie Dogs settlement habitat.

Don't know of a golf course but Lawton being an Army Base town must be something close by...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS