cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Lookout State Park

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning all, posting from downright chilly but oh so beautiful Codorus State Park in PA! Looking ahead to summer camping trip plans I was wondering if anyone has stayed on the waterfront sites such as 104 Greens Point loop and tried crabbing with crab pots there? Not looking to catch a ton just to enjoy the experience with friends from our campsite. If you have any other sites there you think would work would love to hear from you :B We have a dog and want electric as well. Thanks so much, happy camping days to all of you! Sue
11 REPLIES 11

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Sure did, we actually chatted. I had my dog Lucky and my Grand dog Mia though Im not sure which I was walking when we were chatting or perhaps I was taking a picture of the sunset (got so many awesome shots of the skies and trees oh and a groundhog too lol) Im the one that lives on the Eastern Shore (just got back from camping in upper state NY) and is a preschool teacher :B

spoon059 wrote:
Camper Sue wrote:
We were in site Loop B 43. Loved our site, lots of privacy too!

Ha, we were in Loop B, site 48. Our friends had site 46, almost directly across the street from you. Small world! Those sites were very nice, heavily wooded but easy enough to get in. The big trees really blocked the wind. It was bitter when we walked the dogs out to the street. You probably saw me... I had three miniature pinschers and usually had my 3 year old daughter with me.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper Sue wrote:

Ha, we were in Loop B, site 48. Our friends had site 46, almost directly across the street from you. Small world! Those sites were very nice, heavily wooded but easy enough to get in. The big trees really blocked the wind. It was bitter when we walked the dogs out to the street. You probably saw me... I had three miniature pinschers and usually had my 3 year old daughter with me.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Camper Sue wrote:
Good morning all, posting from downright chilly but oh so beautiful Codorus State Park in PA! Looking ahead to summer camping trip plans I was wondering if anyone has stayed on the waterfront sites such as 104 Greens Point loop and tried crabbing with crab pots there? Not looking to catch a ton just to enjoy the experience with friends from our campsite. If you have any other sites there you think would work would love to hear from you :B We have a dog and want electric as well. Thanks so much, happy camping days to all of you! Sue

What site are you at? We were just there Friday through Sunday... it is COLD, not chilly!!!

I didn't really like Point Lookout. The water sites, as I remember them, have lots of marsh grass so you couldn't really see the water and couldn't get to it from your campsite. I remember having to walk around to the nature center area to get to the water. We were there 2 summers ago over 4th of July and it was hot and muggy, tons of bugs. It had rained before we got there and the ground was very swampy. I won't go back.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere you are and there is water around, there is going to be marshy areas and that is true of Point Lookout. There are also going to be bugs if it's warm/hot. If it rains, that adds to the marshiness of the area and there's not much you can do.

We have several places that we go to the beach (ocean) and those also have lots of bugs, is marshy, sandy and all that goes with the ocean.

That's part of being outside in nature, or at least, my idea of nature.

We just load up on bug spray first thing in the morning, and spray every hour or two, just like we do with sunscreen.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper Sue wrote:

What site are you at? We were just there Friday through Sunday... it is COLD, not chilly!!!

I didn't really like Point Lookout. The water sites, as I remember them, have lots of marsh grass so you couldn't really see the water and couldn't get to it from your campsite. I remember having to walk around to the nature center area to get to the water. We were there 2 summers ago over 4th of July and it was hot and muggy, tons of bugs. It had rained before we got there and the ground was very swampy. I won't go back.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should be able to crab right beside your site, but that pier is only abut 20' from your site if you are in #104. A small path out to the pier runs between your site and site #100.

Try there at your site, pier, the Nature Center pier and also take a run out to the pier which is in the bay, just across the causeway.

The campground area is pretty large with 6 different campgrounds within the campground area - 1. Hoffman's (a few sites with power, pets and bath house), 2. Conoy (cabins), 3. Green's (power, pets and bath house), 4. Lanier with no services, but has Nature Center and bath house, 5. Malone that is pet friendly with no services with bath house, and 6. Tulip Loop that is FHU, pet friendly, but no bath house.

They utilize hosts from April until October, so they are always looking for hosts. While you are there, talk to Ranger Jonas Williams (there was a change at the end of this year, so I'm not sure who will be in charge of hosts next year). They will take you for weekends in the spring and fall, if you would be able to do that for a month or so.

If you check with any of the rangers, they should be able to tell you if any crabs are being pulled out of there, the where, and the when.

We hope you enjoy the park as much as we do....even in the summer with all the skeeters.

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia, Ok so if we stay in 100 we would be right by the pier and should try crabbing there vs at our site? Thanks for your info, we will certainly check out the Nature Center! I would love to be a host, perhaps once we are retired though that is down the road a ways we can give it a try somewhere. We have a couple of crab traps and frozen chicken necks so we will be ready when summer gets here lol

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds nice! How about some pictures?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We camphost there during the summer and absolutely LOVE it. We have crabbed there many times, usually walk over to the pier between site #100 and #104. We had assorted luck, dependant on the weather with crabbing there. The water in Lake Conoy is not very deep, averaging 6-9 feet in depth.

The Nature Center there is wonderful and crabbing off the pier there is usually pretty good.

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dahkota appreciate your suggestions! Thinking they will fill up quickly, will have to remember to be ready to reserve exactly 6 months to the day :C

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite sites there were 99 (for the privacy) and 100 for the water access. The sites are on a fresh water 'lake' off the Potomac - not sure how good the crabbing is there. It would probably be better off the bay side fishing pier.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road