cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portland, Oregon

deborahsheik
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting the end of June to see a show at the Gerding Theater at the Armory.
Is there a campground in the reasonable vicinity, or will we have to park and hotel it?
Deborah and Jack
Englewood, Florida
2014 Winnebago Era 70a
AKA "Diva Mobile" ๐Ÿ˜‰
24 REPLIES 24

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
SRT wrote:

This is far enough west away from I-5 so you don't have have the traffic noise. FHU near a shopping center that is on both sides of I-5. During non-rush hour you are just about 5-10min from downtown. There were plans for light rail coming to the area a few years ago.

Boy it has been a while huh?
Max light rail has been to the Expo center for over 5 years. In that time traffic to and from Vancouver has increased to make it a 30 minute commute during rush hour from Downtown to Jantzen beach most days. Even non rush hour times traffic on I5 can be horrendous even at the best of times. Sadly, there is just no real good alternatives for the OP. A 30 minute commute is too far I guess he should park his MH out at a long term parking near the airport and get a hotel room downtown for two or three days. This seems to be the best solution for him.

Yup, last time there was 2008 visiting the DD. Are they ever going to build Max light rail across the river into Vancouver?

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
deborahsheik wrote:
We will be visiting the end of June to see a show at the Gerding Theater at the Armory.
Is there a campground in the reasonable vicinity, or will we have to park and hotel it?

I'd suggest staying west at L. L. Stub Stewart state park (link) and then driving in on Hwy. 26 and parking at one of the Max light rail park and ride stops (link). Then take the light rail to/from downtown. May involve some walking though
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Pheasant Ridge in Wilsonville.That's closer to Portland than Woodburn.
I would also reccomend Jantzen Beach RV park just off of I-5 at the river. We use it all the time to visit my aunt on Terwilliger Plaza. Easy on and off the freeway and there is a Hooters right there too.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
5outta6 wrote:
I'm looking for an RV park just south of Portland; any recommendations?

See Above
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
RV park south of Portland would be Woodburn RV Park 115 N Arney Road Woodburn, OR 503-981-0002 www.woodburnrv.com
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for an RV park just south of Portland; any recommendations?

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind $20/night water/power hookups, easy on/off access from I-205 hwy 99 exit, Willemette River view, and only 12 miles south of the PDX downtown area (hwy 43 West Linn/Lake Oswego), try the Clackamas County Park, Clackamette Park, google it.
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about the rest, but mass transit is right outside the door of both Portland Fairview and Sandy river. Senior citizens get a 1 dollar ride. Max then drops you I down town and to the armory would involve about a 10 block walk.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This is link to Portland's light rail.
Max
Depending on your location whether you can use it or not. Jantzen Beach is north of the Expo yellow route by a couple miles.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

deborahsheik
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...sounds like I should think of this as one of our many NYC adventures. We stay in an RV park....really a parking lot with hookups ๐Ÿ™‚ in Jersey City...on the river across from the Statue of Liberty. We have used light rail, ferry, and PATH...subway...into Manhattan.
So, sounds like we should stay outside Portland and either rent a car for a few days or use the transit system.
Deborah and Jack
Englewood, Florida
2014 Winnebago Era 70a
AKA "Diva Mobile" ๐Ÿ˜‰

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, Jantzen Beach (Hayden Island) to downtown area is 20-30 minutes. This is about the shortest time commute.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.freeguidetonwcamping.com/oregon_washington_main/Oregon/Portland_Area/Portland_Area.htm
Try this.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
SRT wrote:

This is far enough west away from I-5 so you don't have have the traffic noise. FHU near a shopping center that is on both sides of I-5. During non-rush hour you are just about 5-10min from downtown. There were plans for light rail coming to the area a few years ago.

Boy it has been a while huh?
Max light rail has been to the Expo center for over 5 years. In that time traffic to and from Vancouver has increased to make it a 30 minute commute during rush hour from Downtown to Jantzen beach most days. Even non rush hour times traffic on I5 can be horrendous even at the best of times. Sadly, there is just no real good alternatives for the OP. A 30 minute commute is too far I guess he should park his MH out at a long term parking near the airport and get a hotel room downtown for two or three days. This seems to be the best solution for him.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
There is a park on Hayden Island. That is on I-5 right at the Columbia River.

Jantzen Beach RV
+1 (800) 443-7248

Portland - Faiview is at the far eastern part of Portland. The Union Pacific Railroad is on the north side. There are trains many times a day that blow their horns for RR crossings (ask me how I know :B).