cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Privately Owned Parks that Just Do Not Want Your Business

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Came across a campground with the following on their home page. Obviously we passed this place up:

We Open for reservations, check-ins at our Office / Gallery / Gift Shop & Store, Tues โ€“ Sat, 3 pm until 6 pm E.S.T. We are closed on Mondays and Sundays.

You would only be able to check in for reservation camping between 3 pm & 6 pm, reservation is lost after 6:00 pm. Monday we are closed and no check in is possible โ€“ sorry.

Sundays also our office is closed, but. If you wish arrive on a Sunday, you must have made reservations for multiple nights & tours with advance reservation deposit. Sunday check-ins are by appointment time only and always with a 1 hour window of check in time (usually 5-6pm), otherwise we are closed and you will not be able to check in.

So you are open for business a grand total of 15 hours per week?!
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"
47 REPLIES 47

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exactly. He isn't trying to attract everybody that has an RV.

Just quiet folk that fit his business model.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I think his website, discourages folks who have a different expectation, from the reality of how he runs his business. I would guess that it greatly reduces the stress in his life. He attracts people who want to buy what he has to sell.

Folks tend to think that every small business person want's your dollar. Very far from the truth. Some people I would gladly pay to stay away from my business.

I say Bully for him, Their reviews are great, they are writing their own script for their life

tbolt2000
Explorer
Explorer
At first looking at the website I said to myself "you gotta be kidding me" I then checked out their Facebook photo album and begin to think their focus is on NATURE and nature tours.

I get the feeling he is really into and knowledgeable about all aspects of a swamp ecosystem.

I feel if your looking for that line of experience you would definitely get the experience from staying their.

Maybe his "business model" is nature and not camping, but the camping is just one small aspect to the main experience of staying there. Might be similar to hiker climbing Mt Everest. You have a base camp as a starting/staying point but the experience is the hike to Mt Everest.

just my take on it.
I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
2112 looked at their website and found the reason they were not around to meet and greet - they run tours into the swamp.
Seems like a good place to stay if you want to take a tour with him.
I know I would like that and don't find the rules all that bad - you know up front what is or is not allowed.
Good for them!
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use to go to a park near Helen, GA. The last time I went I had called ahead for reservations and told them I had four dogs with me. The guy said it wasn't a problem. When I got there it was a different story. He had spent the morning chasing stray dogs and he took it out on me. He told me he wasn't going to allow any more damn dogs in the park and I could go elsewhere. I reminded him that I had paid in advance and unless he planned on reimbursing me the whole amount that I planned on staying. He was a mean little SOB and hassled us the whole time we stayed there for every little thing he could think of. The last time I checked he had gone out of business.

Explorer II
Explorer II
After reading their website end to end I have to say I like this guy! He is no-nonsense, organized and hates campfires :B

They are time restricted because they guide swamp tours in the morning, tend to chores after that and greet guest from 3-6.

Lots of Rules. They even charge you $10 for the privilege of having a campfire or using a charcoal grill. A campfire got away from some campers once, burned down the neighbors property and that's all she wrote.

If I'm ever out that way I'll take a canoe swamp tour with him.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Strangest experience we've had was at an RV park in Flagstaff. Decent well maintained park but the owners rules are extensive and some are odd.

After dinner we were relaxing outside enjoying the outdoors. The owner came over and told us that all lights must be turned off at 8pm. Can't even have a lantern on a dim setting. Glancing around I noticed that all other people were already inside their trailers. Not a single person outside.

The next night we enjoyed a bottle of wine with our dinner outside. Once again the owner came by and told us that we needed to put our wine bottle away and a beer can that was on a table. She told us that these things were against the values of the park and perhaps there might be a better suited RV park for our needs. She was right. We never returned. There are other parks.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
Juan Carlos wrote:
Ok, my favorite part is this: "If there is any question as to a gray area of our pet policy, a $150 cash only deposit will be required."

Questions? First, give us a deposit. Haha.

I never went to the website to read all the rules but I think these folks are very smart...:@

With this rule above they are effectively saying...
If you don't agree with, can't understand, or won't abide by our pet rules; give us another $150.
A well behaved pet "owner" will have no problem.
The "entitled" pet owner will probably leave.
Brilliant !!!

Every park should have a similar rule.

And I do love pets, just not those with inconsiderate owners.

I bet these folks have happy return customers.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I completely get it and will try to go there someday.
They live on an environmentally sensitive piece of land IN the swamp.
Their septic system is probably the incineration type. You can't percolate in a swamp.

They don't want loud boisterous behavior and say so right up front.

It ain't no KOA.

To each their own.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
But you have to admit, some of their information is just plain funny:

Our office closes at 6:00pm EST. If it is necessary to deal with someone trying to camp here after we are closed we have an additional fee of $20 to add on top of regular camping rates or they would be asked to leave. We really do not enjoy that situation so lets not go there.

I think it's a gas. I'd love to meet them because I don't think I've ever seen a so-called business model like theirs.

Except for the fact that someone has actually stayed there, I would have thought it was one big joke!
I have never stayed there but when I went to visit the swamp two years ago I thought the place was closed...:D
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
winnietrey wrote:
I say, good for them. I would bet the land is paid for, they are older. They have saved some money. And may have worked like dogs for many years.

They probably want to keep working, but not kill themselves anymore. As a long time small business owner I understand that. Folks who are employees retire don't they? Why can't a small business owner run a place on their terms?

And I would hazard a guess, they do just fine and are enjoying themselves. Good for them

Yep. And I bet they have a lot of repeat business.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
It is unique thats for sure. Maybe semi retired and are doing what they're able. Or just don't want to go beyond what the two of them can do..not deal with hiring. Sounds like it works for them.

For me it is the expectations. In this case the issues are clearly identified take it or leave it-it probably wouldn't work for me. If the office were closed when I dropped by without reservations, I'd move on. The few issues I've had were with properties which didn't meet expectations.

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
They were out back in the Forest tending the STILL. That needs a lot of watching. And sampling.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Many yrs. ago, a family in our hometown, ran a small hamburger and Ice Cream shop. They closed the shop every August for the whole month and went on vacation. People in town could not believe they would take off the hottest month of the year. They thought the family should stay and sell Ice Cream, because it would be the best month to do so. The family did as they pleased. They accumulated a good amount of wealth, finally sold the business and moved to Fl. full time. I don't think they missed anything by not listening to the naysayers. :S