cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question: Favorite site in Lost Dutchman SP, AZ?

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a mention or two of Lost Dutchman SP in AZ and wondered if there were any favorite sites you would recommend please?
13 REPLIES 13

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
After reading this and never being there the wife and I decided what a nice looking spot to spend Xmas. We booked a site(#2) as all the suggested sites in this post were taken. Dec 23-29.We have a Zuma scooter and a Honda Trail to explore on, can't wait. Headed to Death Valley tomorrow after the Rain passes.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . . great State park that's 8 miles from our storage facility. The volunteers do a great job of keeping the place tidy. We camped in space 52 & thoroughly enjoyed it. regards, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
While we prefer to park in the electric sites, a short walk from camp will provide you with a sight similar to this....

Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed on #43 last year, not any shade but great view of mountain out picture window.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorites are
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You really can't go wrong with any of the sites and they all have a good level to them - not perfect in some cases, but very doable.

If you have a motorhome you'll want your front window facing east or north. If you have a 5th wheel with big windows in the rear you'll want them facing the same. Also keep in mind if you want sun on your patio side, etc. It all depends on your RV. Check out the pictures of the sites online for help.

Have a great time! We've volunteered there and visited many, many times. The hikes are very nice.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Lost Dutchman is a must if in the area....one of our favorites.

Think last time we were in site #122.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi RoyB, Been to the lakes that way, (at night it is a nasty dirt road with lots of narrow curves)! Picture during the daylight hours make it look much nicer. Have to stop in at the restaurant some time.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be sure to at least run up the Apache Trail paved road to the north and visit Tortilla Flats and have a nice meal in their bar there...

The roadway goes down hill after that and is nothing more than a very small two lane winding dirt road all the way to the Roosevelt Lake some 40 miles away

We visited the Apache Trail on a regular basis back in the late 60s-early 70s and did alot of camping back up off the trails in our Jeeps and Tents etc... Great get-away place and not all that far away from the bigger towns...

My working days brought me back to this area many times as late as 2005 and always found time to go visit the Apache Trail.

Enjoy your visit to the Lost Dutchman SP and Superstition Mtns area

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
sjturbo wrote:
Thanks DC, that is a beautiful shot. Do you remember which site that is? DW would prefer hook up but we can do either. BTW are the sites generally level?

That was one of the non electric sites but cannot remember the number. Most of the sites are fairly level and there are a lot of pull throughs especially in the non electric loops.

When you go I highly recommend a drive out to Tortilla Flats for lunch, great Chile from atop a saddle masquerading as a barstool. The road, the Apache Trail, is spectacular but no place for a large RV. Smaller rigs or a Toad/TV will do just fine. Also just west of Lost Dutchman on the west side of the Trail is the Goldfield ghost town. A little touristy but a lot of fun to wander around.

:C

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a couple of days there last December - a couple of pages with photos starts here (Lost Dutchman). My site was fairly level side to side, not as level front to back. Unless you pull into the site backwards, the utilities (and picnic table) are on the wrong side. A beautiful park with some great individual & ranger guided hikes.

Site 47 (Water & Electric) around sunset:

And a little later:

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks DC, that is a beautiful shot. Do you remember which site that is? DW would prefer hook up but we can do either. BTW are the sites generally level?

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lost Dutchman is one of our favorites (just 84 miles from our front door), and we visit several times a year, especially in the winter. There are lots of things to see and do in the area and the facilities are excellent, nice restrooms, hot showers, unlimited spectacular hiking trails etc..

You can go to their website and see the CG map and photos of individual sites. If you are seeking hook ups I recommend the loop along the south side of the CG and if you want non electric the east side loop. These two have slightly better views as they are higher up but you can't go wrong anywhere in the CG.

:B