cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Old fashioned State Parks?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
RVing last summer throughout Mich. and this winter throughout the Gulf Coast area then Tx,. NM, Az and MO. we had a chance to stay in a lot of state parks which we generally prefer. I'm really noticing the difference between older campgrounds(small sites, only elec. and poorly kept bathrooms) and some of the more recently remodeled ones. Some of the older ones seem "old fashioned" and remind of camping many years ago and sometimes the staff mentality seems old fashioned also. Unclean bathroom seem almost expected, while the better ones are cleaned daily. Not sure of my point except that these older ones need to upgrade in order to attract us seniors with RV's.
Jayco-noslide
47 REPLIES 47

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
The brother of the employee who works down the road now works at this one. I can only aford one. The old way works fine for me.
So big a world, so little time to see.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Individual Florida State Parks do not get appropriations from the General Fund. The system is self-supported with larger, more popular parks getting more of the pie. "Friends" groups can be very helpful in getting resources but some parks don't have citizen support groups. Most parks depend a great deal on volunteers for cleaning and maintenance. If you have a question about cleanliness, maintenance, or repair at a Florida State Park you should address it to one of the rangers or better, to the park manager. If inclined, you could ask if there is anything you can do to help. Sometimes an e-mail or letter to a higher up can support the park staff with their projects. I love state parks. I think they provide the best and cheapest family recreational opportunities in the world. lizzie

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I always though full hookups were for folks that treated their rv more like a cabin... pull into a spot in the spring and don't pull out again until the fall.

Only stayed at a FH park once, I admit it was nice being able to dump my tanks and do a few flushes without feeling hurried like I do at a public CG where there's only 1 or 2 dump holes and no water pressure.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
sh410 wrote:
Another question---Should the state or feds be in competition with private parks with all of the ameneities like WiFi, cable, FHU's etc?

I don't look at it as being in competition with, but just providing the services that some of the general public would like in their public parks.

Me, I can do without full hook ups, cable, etc. But if they happen to be available, I use them. However, I do not choose my campgrounds by the available amenities. The only facilities at the last Forest Service camp ground that we camped at were pitcher pumps for fresh water and old fashioned outhouses. Rustic, you bet. Enjoyable camping, yes sir.

In 50+ years of camping and thousands of miles of traveling, we have never stayed at a single commercial campground.

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Another question---Should the state or feds be in competition with private parks with all of the ameneities like WiFi, cable, FHU's etc?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
i can tell you that California State Parks could care less about attracting more large RV's who want hookups.

they have plenty of business and have no plans to add hookups to a system of parks that have less than 1% of its campsites with hookups.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

awoodwaring
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like California.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any State/Federal parks in Michigan with full (sewer / water / elec) hookups, or even just water / elec, as in a water hydrant you can hook a hose to and leave it hooked?

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
If you do get to Texas: many of our state parks are now providing full hook-ups; even WIFI though that is often pretty slow.

In East Texas: Tyler State Park, Daingerfield SP, Bob Sandlin SP, and Atlanta SP, among others.

Other good state parks: Lake Whitney, Choke Canyon, Huntsville.

There are many others but these are ones where we have stayed.

Most of them are moving from Old Fashioned to Modern, but still retain the flavor of state parks rather than RV resorts.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if the upgrades are organized by order of how much money the park brings in? Is it a chicken or the egg scenario?

Some parks are really popular, and generate a lot of revenue so they are well funded by the State, and that funding brings better trails, clean modern bathrooms and bigger sites, which brings in more tourists, and those tourists increase revenue.

Older parks where all the bathrooms are pit toilets, the sites are elbow to elbow, the trails are few and poorly groomed. The shower is from the 40s-50s, dimly lit by one light bulb (maybe a blessing so you can't see the creepy-crawlies). These older parks don't draw big numbers, so they don't generate big revenue, and so, they get passed over for upgrades?

I love our State Parks and their quirks ๐Ÿ™‚

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We have found that most forest service campgrounds are every bit as clean as the updated state parks. Some even have paved sites and electric and some we've run into have full hookups. We don't need hookups but we were surprised at how many forest service ones now have it. Public parks are always our first choice.

X2 on public parks. The best of all worlds for me
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We have found that most forest service campgrounds are every bit as clean as the updated state parks. Some even have paved sites and electric and some we've run into have full hookups. We don't need hookups but we were surprised at how many forest service ones now have it. Public parks are always our first choice.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a self contained MH, so I don't much care what condition the bathrooms are in as I hardly ever use them.
But for those who need them or just want them, I agree they should be clean, but I don't think they have to be especially modern.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
In Florida and I am sure in other states as well certain parks get all the upgrade and maintenance money. I suspect it has something to do with state politics and which state legislators have all the pull. Unfortunate but true in Florida nonetheless.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BryceB
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:

What does this have to do with seniors? Where we camp its people of all ages and generations.

I was wondering the same thing.
I'm not a senior, but I like nice clean modern bath houses and facilities too.

we stayed at a SP last week and the bath house near us was cleaned multiple times a day by the host.
'01 Ford F-250 PSD CC 4x4 SB
'08 Wildwood LE 26TBSS

State's we RVed in!