Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Weather Related" canceling

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Saw another post and it got me thinking-

Has anyone ever gotten flooded out of a campground? Did you receive a refund?

I always thought the clause in the rules that usually states "we will not provide refunds for bad weather..." only applied to someone trying to get a refund if it rained during their stay and they decided to go home. That I agree with.

But we had reservations a few years ago in Lancaster PA and the CG called while we were on the way down and said they were flooded out and to go to the local Walmart for the night. OK, fine, we're flexible. Spent the night at Walmart and called campground the next day (rained all day Friday as we drove down, but forecast was sunny x next 4 days). Called campground at 10am Saturday and asked for an update. They said their entrance was still under water and to call back after noon.

Saw some attractions, and called CG at 1pm. Were told they were still flooded but to call back in a few hours b/c water was receding. Decided to drive by and saw entrance - it was under 3 feet of fast running water.

By this time we decided to call around and try and get reservations at another place. After trying numerous CG's we found one that had an opening. Stopped by the original CG at 5pm and the entrance was still not useable, although the water had gone down a little bit. Or at least my DH wasn't going to pull a TT through that much running water. We watched someone leave and the fast moving water was up almost to the floor of his TT. And it got pushed sideway as they left...

Called the CG and asked for a refund b/c the water was more than was safe to drive through. Was told "well people are leaving so you should be able to get in!" Yeah - one person LEFT. No one was going INTO that. Met a few other campers who were at the road and they too said "no way" to going in.

Found a way to walk into CG from the side. And our site was under water! So not only was the entrance flooded, but our reserved site was under water. But they said they would move us to a dry area...:R

1/3 of the CG was flooded including the playground. And it was fast moving water; not standing water. So it was doubly dangerous b/c it was moving.

So what are your thoughts on the CG refusing to refund our 4 days reservation?
15 REPLIES 15

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we first started RVing we planned to visit my sister and her family in MA. We had planned on camping at a park in Cape Cod during our visit. A few days before, the campground called to say a forecasted Hurricane was causing them to close. They offered us a credit for another visit or a refund. They storm never hit, but we still got our refund.

I definitely would have argued to get a refund in your situation, but my guess is they wouldn't have given a refund. Since the campground never closed, they'd argue it wasn't there fault you didn't stay there. If they cared about their customers, they should have at least offered you a partial refund. That is definitely a campground I would not return to.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Standard hotel policy is 6pm day of arrival.

Not true. Many hotels, especially in resort areas, have much longer cancellation policies, some as much as 30 days in advance. Hotels that are geared more toward business guests have more liberal policies as things change more rapidly in that realm.

People seem to forget that campgrounds are businesses, many of which have short seasons in which to be profitable. They just can't afford to refund that much money. It also helps to prevent people from booking multiple campgrounds and then deciding on which one last minute or booking multiple weekends and then just showing up when they feel like it. It's done to ensure their financial well-being and to hopefully level the playing field. I guess I just don't understand when someone agrees to a set of rules then expects special treatment to break those rules. Shop with your feet. If you don't like the rules, then go elsewhere.

I didn't say I expected a refund when I understand the policy. And, I noted that resort hotels have longer cancellations which I understand. But I haven't encountered any RV parks with 24 hour notice, including middle of nowhere.

I'm probusiness and a prior business owner. There is a difference in refunding money for goods used and refunding a deposit to the customer who couldn't get into a campground because it was flooded.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Standard hotel policy is 6pm day of arrival.

Not true. Many hotels, especially in resort areas, have much longer cancellation policies, some as much as 30 days in advance. Hotels that are geared more toward business guests have more liberal policies as things change more rapidly in that realm.

People seem to forget that campgrounds are businesses, many of which have short seasons in which to be profitable. They just can't afford to refund that much money. It also helps to prevent people from booking multiple campgrounds and then deciding on which one last minute or booking multiple weekends and then just showing up when they feel like it. It's done to ensure their financial well-being and to hopefully level the playing field. I guess I just don't understand when someone agrees to a set of rules then expects special treatment to break those rules. Shop with your feet. If you don't like the rules, then go elsewhere.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
As Thom02099 pointed out, we would NEVER enter running water like that - we had no way of even knowing what was under it. I am guessing the man leaving through the flooded entrance made a calculated decision to get the H*LL outta there.

I was surprised the managers wanted that type of liability... they were actively demanding people stay and drive into flood waters to access their campground. As we walked out we saw young kids running less than 20 ft. from fast moving flood water. It was crazy dangerous and the parents were allowing it. just clueless on everyone's part.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
This thread raises a related question that I've always had. Why are campgrounds nearly universally a 72 hour cancellation policy or longer and you pay for the whole stay regardless if you leave early. Standard hotel policy is 6pm day of arrival. I'm seeing a little more 24-72 hour cancellation policies but you can still leave early. This way when the flooding or train or whatever ruined the first day, you can roll out before check-out time and the spot is available for the next nights drop-in. I think this plays in to the answer so many give on this site about not making reservations when traveling other than high demand areas like national parks, CA or OR coast, etc. I understand those having stricter policies, just as say Disney Resorts would.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living in an area that has seen 3 major (500 and 1000 year) floods in the past 40 years (Big Thompson '76, Lawn Lake, and Big Thompson 2013) that wiped out some campgrounds, significantly damaged others, and killed people, it becomes a detriment to all of us to attempt to get into an area that is experiencing flooding or could be prone to flooding. Flooding is something to take very seriously; while it may seem minor at one point, it can horrifically turn major and become life threatening. Knowingly entering a flooding area places one's life in jeopardy and should not be done under ANY circumstances.

While it is a moot point now, several years later, in your scenario, as soon as they said there was flooding I would have asked for an immediate refund and called my credit card company to dispute the charges.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the description I have a hunch the CG in question might be Old Mill Stream CG next to Dutch Wonderland. We stayed there many years ago (back in the pop-up days.....). Had a nice stay but we had heavy rain the final night and awoke to find the creek rising quickly. If this is indeed the CG in question then this is nothing new to them. While I understand them trying to protect their revenue, all they will earn in the long run is ill will if they continue to refuse refunds to those who can't get in to their site due to a recurring and KNOWN problem.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
P.S. - Isn't SDCampground Owner on this forum? I always enjoyed reading his responses. And I learned a lot from him about who to be a better campground customer. I was hoping he would explain how he handles things like this.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
A few years ago we had a CG close up due to an impending hurricane. We lost 3 days and there was no refund. And the hurricane missed the area.

Well, I guess it isn't all that uncommon then. I didn't realize that this happens. Makes me think twice about making reservations for more than a few days. Maybe some people can afford to lose 5-7 nights money, but that would be hard for my budget on some trips.

Thanks for your input. I guess I just assumed that if they couldn't provide a safe spot that it was automatic that they would refund people's money. After all, I've never had a hotel do the same thing. They either found another room (if they "lost" the reservation) or they refunded my money if they were booked full. I even had a hotel refund my money and help us book a room in another hotel after they lost central heat during the winter.

Oh well, despite this I would still much rather camp than rely on hotels.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago we had a CG close up due to an impending hurricane. We lost 3 days and there was no refund. And the hurricane missed the area.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

I would ask for the refund and argue a bit. If they don't give in and you paid via credit card, I would file a claim with your credit card company for them failing to provide the service paid for. Baring that it's not worth getting a lawyer involved or taking them to court.

X2. That's the nice thing about using a credit card. Yes, you have to chose your battles. Some are not worth fighting.

Triple ditto. I seem to recall that Good Sam's mediates disputes over repair bills; it seems an excellent way to serve membership if they were to step in and mediate such catastrophic weather-related issues as well. Common sense says that a cg should close and refund reservations due to flooding, etc. yet there are still cg owners who don't exercise that kind of common sense to their own detriment. If an Rv sustained damage from flooding trying to get into cg that's certainly a legal liability.

But then as many will acknowledge, common sense is becoming rare :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I would ask for the refund and argue a bit. If they don't give in and you paid via credit card, I would file a claim with your credit card company for them failing to provide the service paid for. Baring that it's not worth getting a lawyer involved or taking them to court.

X2. That's the nice thing about using a credit card. Yes, you have to chose your battles. Some are not worth fighting.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
It was resolved when it happened. I just wondered if anyone else had been unable to physically get into a CG and then have the CG claim refuse to refund the money. Or to keep saying to "check back" for further updates.

When I am on vacation the last thing I want to do is keep interrupting my day to see if the CG will be open for business. And then being told at the last minute that I have no where to go - for a second night in a row.

We finally did get our money back, but it took many weeks and many phone calls.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
As it was a "few years ago", I'd let it go. Just don't choose to go back there again.

It's a campground/RV park's choice as to whether they wish to refund money or not. But their choices can ultimately do them in. Use your power to write reviews (timely reviews, not for something that is already years past), letting others know how they put the bottom line above the safety of their customers, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)