cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rarely mentioned National Parks and Monuments.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was replying to another thread when it occurred to me that there are a number of parks that are hardly ever mentioned. I can see why most of the Arizona Indian Ruins parks get scant mention. They are hotter than Hades in the summer and mostly look alike when you get there. But here is my starting list:

1) Cedar Breaks NM UT
2) Cogaree SC (I've never been there myself)
3) Cuyahoga Valley NY (ditto never been)
4) Death Valley and Great Basin are rarely mentioned.
5) Guadeloupe Mt NM-- we stopped but it seems to be a serious hiker only park. Little road access
6) Kings Canyon CA-- Over shadowed by Yosemite
7) Lassen Volcanic CA--really should be more visited
๐Ÿ˜Ž North Cascades WA
9) Saguaro AZ
10) Theodore Roosevelt--way off from anywhere and not that much to see.
11) Basin and Range--who's ever heard of this one?
12) Browns Canyon CO ditto above
13) Chiricahua AZ-- interesting but CG is limited to 25 ft RV
14) Colorado CO--Been there a couple times not even good hiking
15) Grand Canyon-Parashant AZ- on the North Rim??
16) Oregon Caves OR--been there a looong time ago. Did not make any big impression
17) Rรญo Grande del Norte NM--another mystery park
18) Upper Missouri River Breaks MT-- and another unknown

Any comments or add-ons?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
62 REPLIES 62

caver
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Great Basin has only been around since 2015 so pretty new.
---------------------------------------------
I think you have GB confused with one of the other new parks.

Great Basin was established in 1986.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Ya just have to admit the stinging bugs are a lot fewer during the cold weather.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Kolob Canyon - the forgotten side of Zion.

Yeah on our list for summer, good boondocking spot on the lake too I've heard. There is also a road around the backside of Bryce with, IIRC, the Pink Cliffs. Those are smaller hoodoos with no crowds.

Did the Kolob drive a couple of years ago - very scenic, a highly recommended drive. The lake has a perimeter road, only about 2/3rd driveable (after that, not even by 4-Wheelers!). On the land side of the road, most of it is fenced off, with many "No Trespassing signs - private land. There are a few open areas between the road and the lake for possible boondocking, but at the time we were there (early Oct.) all was taken. Not even a place we could park just our truck and enjoy the shore for an hour or so.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
A good list. There are many more. I do not like to mention them and make them more popular.
I mostly avoid the popular ones except in winter or off season.
Yeah, mixed feelings about that! Nobody wants crowds but there may be an upside to more folks caring about the parks. As OP mentioned earlier, protection may not mean forever. National monuments in particular seem subject to random dismemberment.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
huachuca wrote:

Guadalupe Mountain - We like the Dog Canyon CG but would pass on the Pine Springs facility. I think the remoteness is the appeal and the resident ranger before his retirement, was a special guy. We were there a few years back during the Turkey Vulture migration. Watching several hundred buzzards trying to find a roosting spot on a small stand of alligator junipers is hilarious.

The camping areas in Guadalupe Mountains NP are in Texas, not New Mexico although to get to Dog Canyon one needs to travel thru New Mexico.

The entire park is mainly a hiking park, good trails out of both Pine Springs and Dog Canyon. No hookups, but parking space for RVs and tent camp sites in both - about six RV sites at Dog Canyon and a parking lot that will hold about 10-12 RVs at Pine Springs. Guadalupe is the highest point in Texas, so the hike at Pine Springs up the hill is the bragging hike; a more scenic hike is the one up Hunter's Peak though.

Pine Springs gets used a lot by Boy Scout troops training for their trip to the Scout Ranch in New Mexico and by college students, so gets crowed around the holidays during the school year, but it's usually the tent sites that fill up. Only saw one time that the Pine Springs parking lot was full on a holiday and that was last Thanksgiving. Usually Dog Canyon has very few campers of any type. Some good long hikes out of there.

Near Pine Springs there are a couple of other interesting spots without camping. The old stage coach waystation site, the Frijole Ranch and McKittrick Canyon. The canyon has a nice hiking trail that connects up with the other trails and some very nice scenery.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
Capitol Reef in Utah was amazing. Got away from the Zion crowds.

I prefer campgrounds with no hookups. Would be nice if generators were banned too.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see it mentioned much here but Big South Fork in TN/KY is one our favorites. https://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm A couple of nice developed campgrounds and also more rustic camping. Some interesting trails and dirt roads to explore. There is a well interpreted historic mining town as well as the "utopian" town of Rugby. The campgrounds are popular with horse people but they have their own trail system and the horses are kept well away from the campground.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I saw an article a week or so ago listing the most, in the author's opinion, worthless National Parks. He listed Everglades and as a Floridian I have to somewhat agree tho the author didn't visit the other two units. It's mainly a drive thru park unless you canoe or kayak. And for the south unit the drive thru is rather convenient. If you are a birder and visit at the right time, there is a lot to see. So like many parks it has a specialized appeal.

But there are plenty of other parks that meet that criteria.
Superbumper

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
How about Isle Royal National park? It's in Michigan, an island in the northern part of lake Superior. Obviously cannot take your RV there as it is only accessible by ferry. It's visited by mostly back packers I believe. I also believe it's the least visited national park. Very remote.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Not to speak disparagingly of any of our National Parks but in 214 we had visited all of the National Parks sincw we married 56 years ago and we have talked to many rangers, naturalists etc at the parks and in the last ten years there has been a trend to ensure that each state has a NP. Congaree is an example of something we are not in short supply of and of no significant historical or environmental significance.
Let me add Hot Springs NP to that list. A national monument, maybe, but I just don't see that it is really national park material.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
eubank wrote:
It may be worth noting that not all national monuments are part of the National Park Service (and, therefore, not listed on their website). Rio Grande del Norte is one such.

Lynn

Quite right that's why I mentioned the list on Wiki. They also have lists of parks, memorials and historic sites. They have a complete list of lands under the NPS system. There are 418 units. That list includes discontinued parks and monuments which disproves the claim that 'once in the system, never out'.
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting, Cape Lookout is one I haven't heard of. Big Bend is usually not crowded but it gets quite a bit of traffic here on the list. It has a place on the "Darned Hot in the Summer List". Not that being on that list prevents crowds, Arches is DHIS but has plenty of traffic.
Superbumper

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
It may be worth noting that not all national monuments are part of the National Park Service (and, therefore, not listed on their website). Rio Grande del Norte is one such.

Lynn

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We're from NC and, although most of the list is west of the MS River, have visited a few of them.

Cedar Breaks - Never camped there but have hiked a few trails. I like seeing snow in late May. The hoodoos there are almost as nice as those in Bryce but so much less crowded.

Guadalupe Mountain - We like the Dog Canyon CG but would pass on the Pine Springs facility. I think the remoteness is the appeal and the resident ranger before his retirement, was a special guy. We were there a few years back during the Turkey Vulture migration. Watching several hundred buzzards trying to find a roosting spot on a small stand of alligator junipers is hilarious.

Saguaro - I'm a NC farm boy that loves cactii -'nough said.

Big Bend isn't on the list but, other than Christmas and Spring Break we've found it to be uncrowded.

To add an eastern Park to the list, I'll nominate Cape Lookout National Seashore. CALO is the next string of barrier islands in NC south of the more famous Cape Hatteras NS but it's accessible only by boat. A couple of private ferries services will take your vehicle (4WD required) over and camping is allowed most anywhere between the dunes and the high tide line. Tent camping is the most common but I've seen popups and smaller campers along the beach. The Park Service also provides twenty or so rustic cabins on each of the two northern sections (Portsmouth and South Core). These have bunks, ceiling fans, flush johns & showers, kitchens and electricity. No roads or services of any kind, so bring whatever you'll need.

Park Service Cabins

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good list. There are many more. I do not like to mention them and make them more popular.
I mostly avoid the popular ones except in winter or off season.