cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I am ready !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I have not owned an RV in several years, but I AM READY to join the flock of Snowbirds ! This has been one of the coldest and SNOWIEST November's I can EVER remember in SE MI ! I am talking real snow, not just the stuff the shows up overnight and is gone by noon.

Worst of all has been the LACK of SUNSHINE ! Another cold, damp dreary week coming up. The only small hope is that they are calling for "partly sunny" on Thanksgiving.

DW can't leave the grandkids for more than a couple of days. Of course, I am not sure how well the two of us would get along in close quarters.
13 REPLIES 13

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
fchammer1 wrote:
PAWATT wrote:
HMMM fc, the wind in the RGV died down right after you left.

Yep, it sure did. Saw ya in my rearview mirrors.

๐Ÿ˜‰
pawatt

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
PAWATT wrote:

Yep, it sure did. Saw ya in my rearview mirrors.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Depreciation is usually more than rent will be.
pawatt

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is just one of many in Tavares, FL The CG is right on one of the biggest lakes. Check out the cottages/lodging they have!
http://fishermanscoverv.us/
There are about 6 more in that area and Leesburg that offer cottages.

This is the one I stayed at right at the waters edge. Real nice cottages at this CG, screened in porches etc. And REAL nice owners. Rent boats right at the marina just a short walk from the sites.
http://www.lakeharrislodge.com/about.html
http://www.lakeharrislodge.com/cottages.html

Like I said had I known about these cottages as an option for snowbirding available I would not have bought the MH!!!

OP take the grand kids with you and spend at least a couple of weeks in the warm weather! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I found many CG's I stayed at had cottages also for rent.

I asked the cost of them per month and gotta tell you it was WAY cheaper than putting my MH on the road to snowbird to Florida!!

Hindsight I would have not bought the MH to snowbird. Most of the cottages I seen were REAL nice. 2 to 3 bedroom nice little lawn etc.

Look around and search CG's with cottages and just drive down and stay in one of those for the winter.

I'll be the one parked up front in my MH paying twice as much a month to stay in my MH versus renting one of the cabins!!! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

DW can't leave the grandkids for more than a couple of days. Of course, I am not sure how well the two of us would get along in close quarters.

Those can be the two downsides that snowbirds and full-timers have to deal with.

For us our limit is about 10 weeks. Those grandkids are awesome to be around.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Sounds like someone needs to find a rental unit for a month or so as a trial for how bad DW's withdrawal would be.
Preferably someplace warmer.

I agree. Dont' jump into buying a RV.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
fchammer1 wrote:
ronfisherman wrote:
But health issues keep us here

(Y'all can't say that in the windy RGV! Been there; done that! Lessons learned!)

Heal quickly so you can spice up that beverage.
pawatt

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're experiencing the same gray and cold weather here on the west side of Cleveland. Fortunately, the holiday season is starting and that will keep me pretty busy. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to mid January and our departure for sunny Florida.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I live in SE Michigan too. I think they said of the last 38 days, 32 have been much colder than average, 3 have been avg, and only 3 above.

I will probably head to FLA the end of Jan through about March 24. I move around down there and boondock some as long as it's not too hot. Then I go to a low priced cg for electricity to run the AC,

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
But health issues keep us here

Two weeks ago today I had a total hip replacement, and I'm already walking with a cane which will be tossed in another week or so.
My surgeon here in SW Florida has done thousands of anterior hip replacements; in fact; considering the target population in Florida, compared to those of our "home state," I believe the level of medical, dental, and optical services in SW Florida matches or exceeds those in my own state. I'm 75; I want my needs met by those whose experience is with patients with "age-related problems" similar to my own. If medical, age-related or otherwise problems plague you, check out SW Florida. Besides, recuperating outside under an umbrella with a cold drink (non-alcoholic for now)in one hand and a book in the other is typical here. (Y'all can't say that in the windy RGV! Been there; done that! Lessons learned!)

ronfisherman
This is second winter we have spent in MI since I retired in 2004. Last winter was tough. This winter is going to be similar. But health issues keep us here. We used our phones and computer to stay in contact with our family and friends. It was great using Facetime on iPhone and tablets. Skype also works well as does Facebook Messenger. It was great to see our grandkids smiling faces as we enjoyed the warm weather in the south.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like someone needs to find a rental unit for a month or so as a trial for how bad DW's withdrawal would be.
Preferably someplace warmer.