Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route south to north info

jwakeman
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Harlingen TX for Des Moines IA.

Map quest shows me a route that uses 77 to Waco area than moves over to 69 after I get through Dallas there are no cities until Kansas city.
Than switch over to I35 to Des Moines.

Question is what kind of road conditions will I run into

Years past have used 77 to Waco than I35 through Fort Worth up to Kansas turnpike into Kansas city up to Saint Joe. Finishing off on I35.

Would like to change the view unless the roads are not in good shape.
2013 Silverado LT 2500HD 4X4 crew Cab Duramax Diesel/Alison
2016 Montana 3721
14 REPLIES 14

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the route is US-69 all the way to KC, it is not a route to take if you are in a hurry. Smaller cities will also slow you down, and speed limits sometimes remain low for a few miles into what looks like rural areas, where people speed back up to 65 and get caught for 20 or 30 over the limit. Atoka catches a few people, but it is not the only city gleaning revenue from people in a hurry.

Because I'm usually going through Tulsa from Dallas, I don't go any further north than the junction with the Indian Nation Turnpike, but I have traveled 69 all the way to Kansas City, and for KC as a destination I would rather go up US-169 (bypasses more of the towns) or US-71 (four-lane divided most of the way from I-44 north).

On US-69 getting through Muskogee can be slow, Wagoner WILL BE slow, Vinita and Miami are slow for a short distance, Pittsburg is slow and congested, Fort Scott is slow, and you get into suburban traffic about 20 miles out of KC.

Something in your mapping program is missing information about local driving conditions.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
When I head back to Iowa I'm usually in a hurry. I just plan to do it on a weekend to avoid the rush traffic. I get on I35 at San Antonio and don't stop until at least Emporia, Kansas. Back home in N.E. Iowa by early evening on the second day.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Our goal was to avoid the metro going from Mission West to Jeff City. A friend gave us a route that took us up to Paris, tx, Hugo, Ok on to 69 up to Big Cabin. Things were great until we hit Oklahoma. Good grief!!! Rough roads were the rule unless you were paying a toll.

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:

Looks like Retama Village?

Yep, just down the road from you. We were there the year that we had the great weather!
2010 Itasca Sunova 33C, Kelderman Air Suspension System
Roadmaster HD rear swaybar, Safe-T-Plus, Blue-Ox Tow bar
2011 Honda CRV toad
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon toad
two cats and the wife

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer

Altoona, IA here; just now checked my messages-I PM'd ya back.

Looks like Retama Village?
pawatt

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
jwakeman wrote:

Map quest shows me a route that uses 77 to Waco area than moves over to 69 after I get through Dallas there are no cities until Kansas city.

Years past have used 77 to Waco than I35 through Fort Worth up to Kansas turnpike into Kansas city up to Saint Joe. Finishing off on I35.

jwakeman: Altoona, IA here; just now checked my messages-I PM'd ya back.

2011 Honda CRV toad
two cats and the wife

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
We do 77 both ways to DFW to SPI . In the RGV. bothe ways.
Just stay on From Waco ,I-35 thru Ft. Worth. Some const. But not unbearable.
From SPI we stay just N. Of Lagrange in Giddingd at the. S.forty camp ground.
Is about 6-7 hrs from SPI. Has some pull thrus for over night.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
US 281 is a better way but it may be a little out of your way!

Superbee_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
is there a good way to bypass Dallas when going north from Waco to get to 69 other than 35E?

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Just came up I35 and there is a lot of construction from Georgetown to Waco on I35. And it looks from the scope of the project that the construction will last 3 to 4 years. Will be nice when done but for now it is a major PIA especially when you toss in some really aggressive drivers. We will be taking 281 from San Antonio to Jacksboro next year. We don't care for 77 although it is a scenic drive for the most part. JMHO.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid Dallas, take US 281 north to just south of Jacksboro then US380 east to I-35 north at Denton.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of traffic and aggressive drivers. Time your departure to pass through Dallas at non rush or you will regret it.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
69 from Sherman, TX to I 44 is good. We like taking I 44 up to Carthage and 71 north to KC to I 35.
North of KC about 50? miles, just south of Cameron, MO, about 5 or 6 miles, is a little gem of a state park called Wallace State Park.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

aauummm
Explorer
Explorer
jwakeman wrote:

Altoona here. We haven't done the 77 route from Harlingen up to Waco, but we did do 69 from Sherman, TX up to I-44. As I recall, that portion of 69 was great. Road was in very good shape and a lot less traffic than I-35. Then our route from I-44 to KC was a little different. We take I-44 to the Carthage, MO exit. We take 77/49B north. We then stay at Coachlight RV Park at the first interchange north on 71/49B. We use Coachlight to time our dash home so as to miss bad weather. Then we take 71/49B north to Harrisonville and then 291 up to 470 and around the east side of KC up to I-35. Only part that I don't appreciate is going through Liberty on 291.

http://www.coachlightrv.com/pages/campground
2011 Honda CRV toad
two cats and the wife