cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seacliff, California, road side RV parking by the beach

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
I was on my way back from Santa Barbara's only RV park, er... parking lot; Sunrise today, headed south towards L.A. when I passed the Seacliff exit off of the 1/101. Shortly after that I saw dozens and dozens of RVs of all sorts parked on a street right next to the beach off to the right between the ocean and the freeway. There where people with dogs off leash in the surf, people were hanging out on the sand, and many seemed to be over-night parked, if you know what I mean.

I've been researching places to go in SoCal for years now, why can't I find info on this?

It was Friday, and I still saw several places I could have parked. If I had known the traffic I was going to hit in LA (It's been a few years since I got caught in the 4 to 7 traffic jams) I would have done the half hour u-turn and went back.

Has anyone been to this place? Are those people allowed to stay overnight? Can you set up a generator, or would that be pushing it? And was that guy with the dogs breaking some law?
Ray and Carol, Boxers Duke and Duchess
2013 Forrest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 22' trailer, with the Murphy bed.
34 REPLIES 34

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
We saw the Green Flash! In a book by Joseph Wambaugh, he mentions a phenomenon that happens occasionally as the sun is setting in the ocean at certain climes at certain times of the year. It happens just as the sun disappears into the ocean. It was only a split second. I suspect that as the sun set, it was shinning through the top layer of sea water, but it was there.

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
Woo-hoo! I got into Rincon! Totally impossible in the Summer, nearly impossible any other time of the year, they say.

It is so gorgeous here. November? It's like in the 70's!

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Here you go, I took this so I had a copy in the glove box.

There are a couple of other spots but you have to pay for a membership in our secrete club first. The direction for joining are writen on Google Earth, I'd give you the coordinates but what fun would that be.

They changed the 7 day limit mentioned on the sign to a 5 day limit during the summer to try and give folks a better shot at a spot. There are groups that will grab a spot, then friends\coworkers\etc would rotate through the spot every 7 days via a signup sheet. I doubt it stopped the practice, but the County said during the last hearings where they lowered it to 5 days, that they may go to a 3 day limit, and you can only camp once every 60 days or 90 days because it is for everyone's use on a first come/first serve basis, not just a few that rotate through the spots.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Jalama for a week in late July this year. I think it is my second favorite place. Best beach we have stayed at so far and that is a long list. Jalama burger truly is as good as the hype. We stayed up on the hill in space 111. Great spot up there - I didn't see a better location than up on the hill. Sunsets are the best.

2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer, we had a spot on the hill at the back of Jalama. Electric only, I think it was. Nice view, great place for windsock flying.

Although it's dogs on leash only on Jalama beach, you could walk down the coast for miles until no one cares any more. My Boxers were ecstatic.

Burgers just don't get any better than the Jalama Burger.

MrWizard
i had One of those "on the beach" spots once .... about 25yrs ago

this trip before Labor Day was the first one there in many years

going back again soon..
got to get the new "surge tank" mounted on the radiator before we do it
and this triple digits is TOO HOT for me to be working outside on it

i wish we were camping up there right now
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's us camping at Jalama Beach with no reservation. We just drove right in and lucked out with this spot:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
Jalama beach used to be a well kept secret, used too be first come first serve for all sites
Now only a few sites are first come first serve aka "walk in"
They have their own reservation system, not on the state system

here are pictures of the high Surf from the storm front just before Labor Day

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/Mr__Wizard/Jalamasurf1_zps7ef70399.jpg" width=640>
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
Re: Seacliff State Beach in Aptos

There are both hookup and non-hookup sites that are subject to reservation.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Nunyadamn wrote:
Seacliff State Beach is up near Santa Cruz.

Aptos, CA

Seacliff State Beach

Went there a lot as a child, didn't know there was camping though.....
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Seacliff State Beach is up near Santa Cruz.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Isn't there a Seacliff state beach on the California coast? if I remember correctly it's a full hookup site and sells out really fast. Could that be in the same area?
There is a Sea Cliff off ramp, but there are no CG's by that name in the area. There are a very few FHU at Faria and Hobson only. You must be referring to Santa Cruz
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Isn't there a Seacliff state beach on the California coast? if I remember correctly it's a full hookup site and sells out really fast. Could that be in the same area?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Around that same place is Emma Wood State Beach, Hobson County Park, Faria County Park, Park Number Three (Ventura), Carpenteria State Park - very close to where you saw people parked. You can use your generator - until the time on the sign above.

I have stayed at Rincon a few times. I like it better than Emma Wood State Beach. There were a few times loud motorcycles would drive by, but the train is fairly quiet and you can't hear the 101 from Rincon. I have not stayed during the summer, only off season. If your looking for a great place just north west of Santa Barbara, check out Jalama Beach County Park.
The train is loud at Carpenteria and the 101 is loud at Emma Wood - not horrible, but not my favorite places.