Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sequoia National Park/Kings Canyon National Park

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Travelers,

My husband and I are planning to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. We have a 45' motor home and we tow our Jeep. I am having trouble finding RV parks or campgrounds for us in this area. There are several that are not big rig friendly.

I have a few questions:

1) Do you have any information about places to stay that would give us access to these parks?

2)I found one possibility in Badger, Sequoia Resort, however they cautioned us that the road to get there, highway 245, is VERY difficult for a large RV. We will definitely go over the center line. Does anyone have experience doing this?

3) What are the must see places in these parks? We love to hike, see wildlife and drive on scenic routes.

Thanks in advance.
Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
12 REPLIES 12

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Sequoia RV Ranch also!! Don't take your motor home into the parks, you'll regret it. Tight turns, steep grades!!
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info. Hope you all have great travels.
Best,
Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Sequoia RV Ranch is the nicest in the area IMO, we've been there several times. It's in 3 Rivers:

SEQUOIA RV RANCH

Nice folks run it, full hook ups, and great spots on the river.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Park in the valley and drive your other vehicle up there....not big rig friendly.
Mark

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've come to accept the fact that with a bigger rig, I can't take it places I used to take our smaller rigs. And you've got the biggest of the big. I park the motorhome & take the dinghy. Last time we visited Sequoia, the motorhome stayed in a park at Visalia. For Yosemite, we've used Mariposa fairgrounds & the upper, newer sites on Lake McClure.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your big rig will fit into Azalea. What time of year are you going there? Do you like to hike? Let us know and we will give you some suggestions.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
slickrock steve wrote:
We did the same as (two hands), and stayed at Kaweah.
Nice place close to river, and easy to use your Jeep to explore with.

Lake Kaweah and Three Rivers are nice places to visit in their own right if you have time. And, yes, a Jeep is fine to go into Sequoia. I just preferred going around and frankly only went into Sequoia when family wanted to see General Sherman. I went to Kings Canyon 4-6 times per year. I lived 60 miles from Sequoia and 90 from Kings Canyon for 5 years.

I regret that I never did the Chrystal Cave at Sequoia. You need to make reservations ahead of time but I don't know details. Maybe it was just get in line first thing in the morning. It's an extra fee but I here it's worth it. Trouble with living close is you don't plan ahead and just decide to drive up for the weekend but never make the effort to get the tickets.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
S-n-L wrote:
Hello Travelers,

My husband and I are planning to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. We have a 45' motor home and we tow our Jeep. I am having trouble finding RV parks or campgrounds for us in this area. There are several that are not big rig friendly.

I have a few questions:

1) Do you have any information about places to stay that would give us access to these parks?

2)I found one possibility in Badger, Sequoia Resort, however they cautioned us that the road to get there, highway 245, is VERY difficult for a large RV. We will definitely go over the center line. Does anyone have experience doing this?

We have a reservation there in August, but we only have a 29' class C with a toad, just looking at Rt 245 on Google maps Street view, I'd say that it's not possible with your rig.

3) What are the must see places in these parks? We love to hike, see wildlife and drive on scenic routes.

Thanks in advance.
Leslie
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same as (two hands), and stayed at Kaweah.
Nice place close to river, and easy to use your Jeep to explore with.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
tvfrfireman wrote:
You may be able to get into the Azalea campground at Kings Canyon. No reservations needed unless fourth of July or Labor Day. You access this and Kings Canyon from Fresno. The other highway that goes through Three Rivers has a one hour drive up a winding road limited to vehicles 22 feet long with many 10 mph corners. It alway is under construction so you would need to know what times of the day you can get through. From Kings Canyon, you can tour Sequoia from the Generals Highway that connects the side by side National Parks.

I second this. I will not go in through the Sequoia side even if I'm not towing or in an RV. Very narrow, lots of switchbacks, and construction forever.

Kings Canyon side isn't bad at all although I don't know that they can accommodate your RV in the campgrounds.

There is a campground on 180 maybe 20 miles from the park? I haven't stayed there and it's not much more than a parking lot but I bet you would fit and it wouldn't be a bad drive to the park in your Jeep.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
You may be able to get into the Azalea campground at Kings Canyon. No reservations needed unless fourth of July or Labor Day. You access this and Kings Canyon from Fresno. The other highway that goes through Three Rivers has a one hour drive up a winding road limited to vehicles 22 feet long with many 10 mph corners. It alway is under construction so you would need to know what times of the day you can get through. From Kings Canyon, you can tour Sequoia from the Generals Highway that connects the side by side National Parks.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
When we visit Sequoia National park we stay at the Kaweah RV Resort in Three Rivers, California. We use the dingy to explore the park. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"