cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great summer spots to stay in New Mexico?

DHart
Explorer
Explorer
We're considering a summer trip to New Mexico (probably northern New Mexico, where summer temps will be more moderate).

Are there places that you can recommend that we should visit in New Mexico?

And, are there campgrounds that you would recommend?
=======================
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
16 REPLIES 16

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
DHart wrote:
We're considering a summer trip to New Mexico (probably northern New Mexico, where summer temps will be more moderate).

Aug 8 last year

Fort Stockton Texas - 105
San Angelo Texas - 108
Belton Texas - 106

Ruidoso NM - 74 - low 48
Cloudcroft NM on the 11th - 68 (and empty)
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

DHart
Explorer
Explorer
C7RX7... thanks for the info! Sounds like a lot of good spots to visit there.
=======================

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
DHart wrote:
C7XR7... We work (on the internet) most days, thus we spend a good bit of time in and around the coach, so a beautiful campground with good Verizon coverage, hopefully some views, is a big draw for us.

We are currently transitioning from a 43' diesel pusher to our soon-to-be trailer: a 30' Airstream Intl. Serenity, so we do need to stay in places where a trailer of this size can be relatively easy to fit in.

We enjoy old towns, historic places, old cultures, dramatic scenery, would like to do a little casual fishing. We're not hard-core outdoors people, so we don't engage in long hikes or go to difficult-to-access places.

You're in luck. NM has a lot of "old towns" to enjoy. I too work via remote access so know what you're speaking of. I have property in NM in Questa area (Enchanted circle includes Taos, Angel Fire, Red River and Questa) where we used to keep our 30' Airstream. We sold that an purchased a 33' fifth wheel but that isn't important. What is important is that with a 30' Airstream there are a plethora of places you will be able to stay. My recommendations are as follows;
(1) Albuquerque. Just stay at the KOA in Bernalillo area North of ABQ (yes it is near the highway), they have good wifi and are near most everything in ABQ you might want to see.
(2) Santa Fe. Not sure where to stay but do it. There is Museum hill that will take a good day or more to see. Old Town Santa Fe is a must. Lots to see and do, and eat I might add.
(3) Taos. You can get there from Santa Fe via 2 lane highway or the high road. Many great old towns to see and photos to take along the way either way. There is a KOA in Taos, I never stayed there. You can camp in the Carson NF but there of course won't be any wifi access. I see there is a new trailer park in Questa. I do not know if they have wifi. Lots to see and do around Taos. Take your time, Taos runs on Taos time and you must be relaxed and patient.
(4) Red River. Instead of camping in Questa you may as well head to Red River. They have lots of places to camp and I am sure you can get wifi. This is a very popular area for the Texans each summer. 4 Wheeling, camping, car shows and more happening most of the time.

Ask questions if you have any and I'll try to answer.
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companionโ„ข 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
2 gypsies wrote:
OP: Since you work online and need good internet and since you like historic places, I think Santa Fe is for you. Santa Fe Skies RV is probably the best RV park in that area.

Agree completely. Drive up to Taos by the old "high road to Taos." Stop in Truchis and Trampas, after lunch in Chimayo at the Ranchos de Chiyamo and a visit to El Santuario de Chimayo.

While in Taos visit the Hacienda de Martinez, home of Padre Martinez. Before that visit read "Lamy" by Paul Horgan and "Death Comes to the Archbishop" by Willa Cather.

Also include a visit to the Kit Carson house and museum.

All this makes a nice all day trip if you are staying in Santa Fe. On the other hand you could divide your RV stay between Santa Fe and Taos. We have done it both ways.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
OP: Since you work online and need good internet and since you like historic places, I think Santa Fe is for you. Santa Fe Skies RV is probably the best RV park in that area. Santa Fe has many fun festivals and on your 'days off' you would be close to poke around in Taos, Bandelier Nat'l Monument, and other interesting places in the area. Santa Fe also has an awesome Rec Center that you can join by the week or month very reasonable. It has indoor pickleball, gym, classes, swimming, basketball, ice hockey, etc. We played pickleball there with a terrific fun group.

We didn't find the weather hot at all. It was very pleasant in the summer for us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DHart
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... so much to consider. Amazing.

C7XR7... We work (on the internet) most days, thus we spend a good bit of time in and around the coach, so a beautiful campground with good Verizon coverage, hopefully some views, is a big draw for us.

We are currently transitioning from a 43' diesel pusher to our soon-to-be trailer: a 30' Airstream Intl. Serenity, so we do need to stay in places where a trailer of this size can be relatively easy to fit in.

We enjoy old towns, historic places, old cultures, dramatic scenery, would like to do a little casual fishing. We're not hard-core outdoors people, so we don't engage in long hikes or go to difficult-to-access places.
=======================

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
What sort of activities do you like? Northern NM has a lot to offer.
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companionโ„ข 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We love New Mexico State Parks! Sites with electricity are normally $14/night. We wish Colorado State Parks were so reasonably priced.

Our favorite is Sugarite Canyon SP near Raton. We will be back there for the 3rd straight year on the first weekend in August. But, since the campground with the hookups is small and very popular, we had to get our reservations in February.

Sugarite is in a canyon just south of the Colorado state line, so we can stay in an inexpensive NM campground, then take a short hike into a great trout fishing lake in Colorado (I get a $1/year Colorado fishing license, but don't have a NM one). It also has some terrific wildlife viewing, as we have had mule deer walk through our campsite, seen herds of elk and flocks of wild turkeys near the road, and attracted dozens of hummingbirds to our nectar feeder hung on a tree next to our trailer.

There is also some high elevation, nicely shaded dispersed camping on USFS land between Cloudcroft and Sunspot in SE NM. It makes a great stop to or from Carlsbad Cavern, which, for obvious reasons, is the coolest spot in NM in the summer. And by "cool" I mean both temperature and enjoyable!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Dadio24
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Taos, Santa Fe (Santa Fe Skies RV) lots of summer festivals, Abiquiqu (Abiquiqu Corp of Engineers park) and from there to Pagosa Springs, Colorado a favorite of ours.

2X and total agreement with 2gypsies...love these places.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blue Water Lake east of Gallup and a short drive south of I-40 is a nice spot with enough elevation to keep things cool. Some sites have hook ups (W&E) and you can drive right down to the lake and camp on the beach.

:C

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a fancy RV resort, there is a new one in Angel Fire. Looks very nice! A more reasonable, not as fancy, park is Mount Verde RV Camp in Angel Fire. Gets great reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
DHart wrote:

Are there places that you can recommend that we should visit in New Mexico?

And, are there campgrounds that you would recommend?
Elevation will be your key to cooler temperatures. Red River, Cloudcroft and Ruidoso were mentioned. You might also consider Eagles Nest, Angel Fire, Chama, and the National Forest areas Northeast of Silver City. Santa Fe and Taos will be warm to hot in the summer, but if you stay in the National Forest areas at the higher elevations near the ski areas you will have cooler temperatures. There are lots of nice campgrounds in the Apache-Sitgreaves, Gila, Carson and Santa Fe National Forests. We have stayed at a number of New Mexico State Parks and not been disappointed with any of them. El Vado Lake, Fenton Lake, Heron Lake, Morphy Lake, Eagles Nest Lake, Cimarron Canyon and Coyote Creek State Parks are all above 7,000' in elevation.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Taos, Santa Fe (Santa Fe Skies RV) lots of summer festivals, Abiquiqu (Abiquiqu Corp of Engineers park) and from there to Pagosa Springs, Colorado a favorite of ours.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
rv net thread.

New Mexico travel

There are 2 long lists of places to visit.