cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sightseeing on the way up and back from Redwood NP

lmsteck
Explorer
Explorer
We're gearing up for our trip to Redwood NP. We will be stopping in Willits on the way up, staying in Crescent City when we're there and Legget on the way back. We have about 4 days in each locale. Any sightseeing recommendations would be appreciated.
lmsteck
9 REPLIES 9

lmsteck
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the information! I really appreciate it! We have a 37' FW so we won't be driving HWY 1 between Legget and Fort Bragg, unfortunate, but we have driven parts of HWY 1 between SF and Gualala, very beautiful! That's too bad about Perko's, that Splatter Cake sounded good!

Rocky2, we have 2 young children and are staying at the KOA. There's a lot of activities for them. We're also "leisure campers," we like to sight-see, but we also enjoy downtime at the site. I appreciate and will take any input you are willing to offer.

We will surely visit the state parks and this is the second time I've read about the Samoa Cookhouse, so we'll have to try to check that out.

sdaniel, I was hoping someone would chime in on Howland Hill Road! I read about it on another thread, but could not find the post. Big thank you for the directions!

Any additional input would be great! Thanks again!
lmsteck

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Ancient Redwoods in Redcrest right on 101. It's a gorgeous area for seeing the redwoods and many nice easy trails to hike.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
That is too bad about the Skunk train. The oldest son and his family were planning on stopping there on their way back from Oregon this summer.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
While in Crescent City: Most beautiful drive!!
Howland Hill Road
Mostly unpaved; Motorhomes/RVs and trailers not advised.

Distance & Duration: 10 miles, one way (from Crescent City, Calif. to junction with U.S. 199 near Hiouchi, Calif.); 45 minutes.

Directions: From Crescent City, Calif.: drive south 1 mile on U.S. 101 and turn left (east-northeast) onto Elk Valley Road; continue 1 mile and turn right (east) onto Howland Hill Road; after ~1ยฝ miles the road becomes unpaved as it enters Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park; continue another 5ยฝ miles on Howland Hill Road until it becomes Douglas Park Road (paved); after ~1ยฝ miles turn left onto South Fork Road; after ยฝ mile South Fork Road junctions with U.S. 199 just east of Hiouchi, Calif.

Description: Just a couple miles west of Crescent City, an unpaved stretch of Howland Hill Road offers motorists an intimate encounter with the towering old-growth redwoods in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. Numerous pull-outs and trailheads along the way, including the Boy Scout Tree Trail and Stout Grove.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By wrote:
While there, consider taking the Skunk train trip to Ft Bragg and back.

Unfortunately, due to a tunnel cave-in the Skunk Train is not running to or from Willits at this time. The only trip they have is a short ride (approximately one hour) from Fort Bragg and back. They are trying to raise $300,000 to make the repairs or they may shut down completely.
If they can raise the funds they hope to be back in full operation by late summer.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at Trinidad on your way to Crescent City and view the fishermens memorial overlooking the ocean. Prairie Creek and Fern Canyon are definitely worth your time also. Samoa Cookhouse across the bay from Eureka is a fun place to eat family style at a reasonable price.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
Not to be overly negative but I cannot think of a reason to spend 4 days in Willits unless you have relatives. While there, consider taking the Skunk train trip to Ft Bragg and back. While you have time in Crescent City, be sure to spend a day at Prairie Creek Redwoods SP including the drive to Fern Canyon. Compare the trees there to the ones at Jed Smith State Park, both are great.

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By wrote:
Our favorite place to eat was a chain restaurant in Ft. Bragg, called PERKO'S

Not to hijack your post, but we just returned from Fort Bragg this week, and Perko's is no longer there. It closed and has reopened under new ownership and a new name. But, I agree, if you have the time a side trip to Fort Bragg is well worth it. However, I would strongly advise against traveling North of Fort Bragg to Leggett on Highway 1 unless you are in a rig with a total length of less than 35'.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
How big of a rig are you in?
Have you ever taken hwy 1 between Leggett and Ft. Bragg?? Twisty turny at the north end, for sure but fun if you aren't in a hurry or towing.

It's been a couple of years since we did this drive. The last time we did, I was sad to see so many ocean side parks and overlooks closed due to road damage and erosion.

Our favorite place to eat was a chain restaurant in Ft. Bragg, called PERKO'S - that has MUCH better food than other Perko's that we've been to. Fish and Chips are my favorite... Have a SPLATTER CAKE (for breakfast or as a dessert). It's a Twisty light pancake that's stuffed with a sweet cream cheese filling & topped with glazed strawberries and powdered sugar and whipped cream.
Perko's Cafe
898 S Main St, Fort Bragg, CA ?
(707) 964-6420

South of Perko's, on the south side of the bridge, is a street that will take you to the ocean's edge, called OCEAN VIEW DRIVE. There is a nice parking lot large enough for big rigs. I've never had a problem parking ours for a few hours. Long enough to take a nice walk and enjoy the wave action on the cliffs.

MacKerricher State Park is on the north end of Ft. Bragg. You can google for info.

Hwy 20 back to Willits (hwy 101) is a good road but has it's share of curves. If curves aren't your thing, than don't but we just take our time and pull over for the cars behind us to go around.
Kathy