cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoky Mountains National Park Summer Crowds

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a destination to escape the heat and humidity in July/August.

How bad are the crowds?
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com
17 REPLIES 17

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
As far as Mile High Campground goes, does anyone know if there is a dump station there?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
If you don't mind no hookups and maybe spotty cell service, there's a Blue Ridge Parkway CG at Mt. Pisgah that's usually fairly cool.

Jim, "Dain bramaged."

Came across Mt Pisgah Campground in some searching last night. How is it?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
GSMNP is one of my favorites, but it is one of the most visited parks in the system and very crowded most of the summer. It is also usually hot and sticky in July and August unless a thunderstorm cools things down briefly.

I like to visit that park in April or October. When I lived in the southeast, I liked to go to the beach to cool down. Waist to chest deep in 80 degree water wasn't too bad, once the sun got low in the evening.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions! :B
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Been there many times during the summer. July and August can get pretty hot. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge are usually very crowded from middle June to middle August. The week days are manageable IMHO. the weekends have traffic that can drive you crazy. We love it there, but always try to go in the fall and spring during the week and always try to avoid weekends.

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
Bob has it right, we loved the piece and quiet and cool temps, the bird watching is awsome with the elevation change there are many different birds up there.

they have hot showers and as of sep 2011 the fee was 20.00 a night.

here is our view out the window at the table.

1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

8_Miles_A_Gallo
Explorer
Explorer
We loved staying at Mile High Campground between Maggie Valley and Cherokee. It is definitley cool at night no matter the time of year and doesn't get too hot during the day. The owner and caretakers are very friendly and accomodating. It is a little bit rustic and there are no sites with full hook-ups (at elast I don't think so). However if you truly like peacefulness in a campground this is the place.

Each morning and evening we were there a few elk would make their way through the campground, stopping and grazing for a little while before moving on. There is only one spot my son could find in the campground with cell service, so if that's an issue for you this might not be such a good idea. I personally loved it, a built in excuse to ignore people who are convinced they really need to talk to me. 8^)

We loved it and will be back as soon as our schedule allows.

P.S. I just read a few articles on your blog and really think you would enjoy Mile High Campground. If you google it or just search on this site you can find more info.
Bob, Bev, Collin and Calista
2005 Crossroads Cruiser 30BH
2002 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually
8.1 liter gasser

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind no hookups and maybe spotty cell service, there's a Blue Ridge Parkway CG at Mt. Pisgah that's usually fairly cool.

Jim, "Dain bramaged."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Balsam is the coolest and highest campground in the park at about a mile elevation. There is also a campground called Mile-high that is outside the park, I believe run by the Cherokee nation.

Otherwise you won't find much relief from the heat.

I agree with the above post that the North Carolina high country is also a good bet for cool.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
If you provide some additional information about who is going (adults, kids, ages) and what you like to do, others can provide more useful advice.

Schools in the south get out in late May and many return to class in early to mid-August. The park is less crowded in late August.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge always seem very crowded to me. If you can avoid those areas, you'll find less people.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there in mid aug 2010 for a week. it was warm a couple of days and HOT for a few more (103). at that time of the year down there the schools were back in session. so it wasn`t too bad, but still busy. on the hot days we did Splash Country one day, and the next we did rafting and then went up into the mountains to Clingmans Dome where the temp dropped to 63 and Misting. there is always something to do.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly. The Smokeys aren't all that cool ever. If you really want to find some cool in the summer. You need to come to the NC High Country. In the area between Little Switzerland And Sparta. We have camped the Blue Ridge Parkway in that area for 30 years, and have yet to need any AC. In fact the average "High" temp in the summer at Linville Falls is in the 70s. Same for Julian Price Park, and Glendale Springs. It is always campfire weather up there. We have been up there when the temp here was in 100, and it was jacket weather up there. You can feel it cooling off as you go up. It's the reason so few CGs have pools. It's too cool for them.

So try Boone, Blowing Rock, Linville, and Glendale Springs. You will love it. AND IF you go up to Mt. Mitchell, take a jacket no matter when you go
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Want to escape the heat in July/Aug?? Go to Southwest Colorado!!!:)
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

USARMYCW
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I have been there in the summer time it's been bumper to bumper cars going thru the park.

I grew up in the area back when it was not crowded and it was more fun. I still go back but in the off season.