cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbirds heading back to the RVG yet?

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if the winter Texans are arriving in the RVG yet. November seems to be the month we begin to see the arrivals.
For me I'll come in mid to late December for three months. Hope the weather is better than the last two years.
SkeetShooter
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member
25 REPLIES 25

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Since this forum has some connection with RV's (RV.net), I would hope those traveling south with RV's would take the time to enjoy the journey and the many points of interest along the way. Let's face it, not many people drive the hundreds and hundreds of miles to visit other places during the Winter.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
I would say we are close to 50% filled but this is an ownership park and lot owners tend to arrive earlier and stay later.

If you're a mobile RV'er it costs lets say $30/night or $200/week for limited hookups. Makes a lot of financial sense to rush down to a lot that is owned where you don't incur that expense. Guessing that's why people buy lots in the first place is to conserve money, and hopefully make some Ka'ching when they sell them (or at least recover their investment.)

If you don't own a lot, then you have the freedom to spend that money in various places along the route south. The rub comes in when the monthly rate becomes roughly the cost of 2.5 weeks on the road. Then a person has to settle down for the winter if they have a budget to watch.

Even then, the month of November is beautiful in many places south of I10. The Emerald Coast is one of them, as is central Texas. Both places you can get monthly rates easily and have a slow enjoyable trip to the deep south for the coldest part of the winter.

YMMV
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
I would say we are close to 50% filled but this is an ownership park and lot owners tend to arrive earlier and stay later.
pawatt

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
One fifth wheel, twenty or so park model inhabitants in a four hundred space park.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
It was mostly RV's that showed up here this weekend, Park model and homeowners already here.
pawatt

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not leaving for Texas for another month.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
skeetshooter wrote:
Just wondering if the winter Texans are arriving in the RVG yet. November seems to be the month we begin to see the arrivals.
For me I'll come in mid to late December for three months. Hope the weather is better than the last two years.
SkeetShooter

Are you asking about mobile RV'ers showing up with their rigs, or those that have some form of an investment in the area and can drive a non RV down? Or do you even care and are just looking for numbers?

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Quite a few showed up here this past weekend.
pawatt

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
IMO November is the very best snowbird weather in the RGV, after that it seems to be turning into a bucket of cr@p (last three years at least.)

We'll be showing up later this year (due to an illness.) If the winter weather is bad once again, we'll also be leaving early. Either be going home, or out to the southwest to explore some. Just depends on how we feel at that time.

billb1
Explorer
Explorer
Will be heading to the RGV on Nov. 13
BillB
2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1 Ton Diesel, 4.10 axle w/limited slip, auto trans.
2000 Real Lite Truck Camper

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
In Alamo, Texas, which is in the center of the RGV, the Winter Texans are starting to arrive in significant numbers. Ten percent of the visitors showed up in the last week. Many more will be here right after Thanksgiving. We ALL hope the weather is better, but the forecast is not great.