cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern California hints

lantanatx
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking a long (5 week) trip from Texas to California in June/July. Big stops are Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite but my sons (13 y.o.) want to go to a California beach and go surfing. I have no idea where to go much less to stay. We are going to Joshua Tree and Palm Springs but from there on it is not planned until we go to the Sierras.

I'm not crazy about tackling LA county dragging a trailer as I found it stressful enough driving there 20 years ago just in a large van. I'd like to find a place to settle for few days or a week and just do day trips or perhaps an overnight away from the trailer a couple of times.
24 REPLIES 24

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your son has surfed previously keep in mind that it's not just a jump-in kind of thing. A lesson or two would be recommended along with a wet suit.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I started out in the 50's at Bolsa Chica and probably surfed there and Huntington Beach more than any other. Bolsa Chica now is a state beach with RV parking (no shade, tho).

The very best place I liked was Rincon point, near what is now called Conchita CA and used to be named Rincon.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Sharks are everywhere and being 13 does not mean he lacks experience.

Forecast for Surf.

Moderate mid period swell from the west-northwest rising later in the next few days. Light and variable northwest winds with smooth seas, Increasing later. Moderate mid period swell from the west-northwest rising later in the later part of the week. Light and variable west-northwest winds, Increasing later and switching to the south-southeast.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The beach near Lompoc is very rough -- not for newbies. Sharks, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Use the 138 to 126 and if you cannot find a place around Ventura then go on up to Gaviota State Park on 101.

For an isolated beach try going west from Lompoc (use 246 from Buelton off of 101) via Ocean Ave (main drag through town) to Surf, CA. Surf is just a whistle stop on the beach surrounded by Vandenburg AFB but you do not need to enter the base to get there.

Lompoc has River Park rv park, which is reviewed at RV park reviews but not since 2012.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to second what SCVJeff said. That route takes you around most LA traffic and brings you to the beach. The 138 is also known as the Pearblossom Highway. We volunteered for 5 winter seasons at Emma Wood State Beach, it is close to Ventura Beach RV Resort. It is RIGHT on the water but no amenities, no elect, water or bathrooms. There are surfers there every day. The reservations start mid May. It's pretty busy in the summer but if you arrive Monday or Tuesday you can probably get a site. Site #5 is the best, big & wide. You can ride bikes from there to downtown Ventura with grocery store and restaurants. Great town. There are also some county parks, Rincon, which has no amenities, also Hobson and Faria. Look at the Ventura County parks for reservations. Reserve America does the reservations for Emma Wood. There's probably a surf shop in Ventura that gives lessons. These parks are also right next to the 101 freeway, easy on & off.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The very best beaches for newbies, in my opinion, are in North San Diego county. There are few RV parks very near the beach -- there are a couple of good ones in Vista. I recommend South Carlsbad State Beach. If they want to learn to surf, there are several good surf schools in the area. I think the schools provide wetsuits -- the water is cold.

Be sure to bring warm clothing -- June and July are often foggy and cool.

Let us know if you want more info!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I've surfed all up and down the s. CA shores. Check out all the State Beaches. Several of them have camping facilities for overnight.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I towed our trailer into LA with the family to take the kids to Disneyland and etc last summer. I wouldn't say it was fun navigating the freeways while towing but it wasn't too bad. My oh $hit moment was coming in on 14 where it merged into 5 headed south. I've never seen that many lanes come together and split apart anywhere else. Holy...

But aside from that it was fine. We stayed at the Anaheim RV Park which was actually pretty nice. Probably not ideal for trying to go surfing, though.

When we left I got prepped the night before and then woke up at 2:00. Got the kids and wife loaded up and we were out by 2:30 and had breakfast after passed through Vegas. Part of that was to avoid any traffic issues but also to make the trip home in one day. It was a long day but it worked well.

As an aside we came down via 95 and cut over into the Owens Valley by Lee Vining and then south down the valley. Very scenic views of the Sierras all the way through albeit pretty crowded. But it's California so I guess crowds are what you get.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots of us to help, but as you know, this is a BIG place. Where in LA would you like to visit? if this is just a surfing trip and you want to avoid LA traffic, you can leave Cochella, head West on the 10, up the 15, to the 138, and fish your way onto the 14 and into Santa Clarita. Here you have Magic Mountain with Travel Village next door, and the beach is a straight shot out the 126 about 40 miles or so. Or head out the 126, take a chance on several of the first come beach CG's, most with surfing right out the door. If you need reservations, call Ventura Beach Resort. Pricy, noisy, but it's close to the beach.

There are others to chime in on points further south, but the north county area, especially Travel Village is an excellent launch point up the 5 and into San Joaquin Valley
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350