cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southern California hints

lantanatx
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking a long (5 week) trip from Texas to California in June/July. Big stops are Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite but my sons (13 y.o.) want to go to a California beach and go surfing. I have no idea where to go much less to stay. We are going to Joshua Tree and Palm Springs but from there on it is not planned until we go to the Sierras.

I'm not crazy about tackling LA county dragging a trailer as I found it stressful enough driving there 20 years ago just in a large van. I'd like to find a place to settle for few days or a week and just do day trips or perhaps an overnight away from the trailer a couple of times.
24 REPLIES 24

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The water in Santa Cruz is pretty chilly, but it may be the prettiest place on the Calif coast with good surf. Lots to do in the area -- hiking and mtn biking galore.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
Santa Cruz is a great place for new surfers. Cowell's Beach is very calm and there is a surf school available. You can camp in the redwoods in Felton, there are several RV parks there. Henry Cowell SP is a great place to see old growth coastal redwoods. Nice nature center. There is also the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk which is great for all ages.
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
A great beach close place to stay is Foster Park. It is a very small Ventura county campground with 10 full hook up sites and 6 tent sites. The FHU sites are $36, a real bargain in SoCal. It is about 10 easy miles up highway 33 from Ventura beach tucked away in a canyon just below lake Casitas. A short drive to anywhere in Ojai, Oxnard, Ventura and not too far from Santa Barbara. The good thing is not too many people know about it (hope I am not ruining that!) and they take reservations online. They still have plenty of June and July availability (I just looked) especially midweek. Sites 8,10, and 2 are the best IMO. This is our weekend getaway place, about an hour from home. Silver Strand beach in Ventura is very nice and liked by surfers. Let me know if you decide to head to Ventura, I work out here and know some people who surf.

If you are looking for more L.A. centric, I agree with Valencia travel village. Magic Mountain Hurricane Harbor, Reagan Library, Natural History Museum, California Science Center, Ventura county beaches, Griffith Park Observatory, Travel Town, etc. all relatively close by.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

forte88
Explorer
Explorer
When in the Palm Springs area I highly recommend Silent Valley Club in Poppet Flats. It's about 30 mins from Palm Springs and is my favorite campground in the area. It is a membership campground but they take ROD, or you can just get in the free 3 night stay and get a low pressure sales pitch. Silent Valley It's one of the few places around that you can camp and feel isolated and rustic with HUGE yards, (not parking lot style) and still have full 50 amp hookup and sewer.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL 5th Wheel
F350 Super Duty 6.0 Turbo Diesel Dually

sdbounderdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Ventura Beach RV Resort is mentioned in a couple of posts. FYI, the place was flooded out last month during severe rains. We were there at the time. It will be closed for repairs/renovations until probably around 4th of July. Be sure to contact them for updated info if that area becomes part of your plans.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
On the sun screen topic, don't assume any water proof sun screen you buy will be good. Make sure and research it well. I've been surfing in Panama a couple times and seen guys there using Coppertone or Banana Boat Waterproof sunscreen and it was like they used nothing. REI sells a very good waterproof sun screen , brand is Sawyer. Get the highest SPF version of that. Used it religiously down in Panama and never got burnt and that is out surfing 5 or so hours a day.
I love me some land yachting

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
One other note -- the water is usually a lot warmer in San Diego County than further north.

Yeah, it is about the same water temps up through Orange County as well but then chills down some further up into LA and north. As you probably know, usually has to do with the currents and upwelling of colder water.

Don't go to Rincon as that is not a beginner location. Ventura can have a pretty brutal beach break too and would not be a beginner spot. Also, avoid areas that are rock bottom and stick to sandy bottom areas.

San Clemente is a great surf town and has plenty of shops with lessens available. The mention of Carlsbad along with Oceanside is good too. Newport Beach and Huntington are other good spots. Nice thing about those last two is you can do Disneyland and both of those beach areas from the same RV park, just takes a little drive to the beach.

MAKE SURE YOU GET EXCELLENT SUN SCREEN and cover the entire body/face/neck. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys out and they get the back of their legs/arms/neck scorched because they didn't use sun screen on the back of their legs or back of their arms/neck. But paddling on a board, where does the sun beat down on? Buy them specific surfing long sleeved surf shirts as those can be used by themselves if the water is warm enough or also used under wetsuits too to help avoid rashes.

Yes, I may now live in CO but was born/raised in SoCal in a surfing life style. Surfing is not a sport, it is an addiction/life style and never leaves you!!! Also spent 10 years living/surfing on the OR coast while working in Portland. That was a 75 mile commute just so I could live where the surfing was.
I love me some land yachting

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple more thoughts from someone who has been surfing all over So Cal for 55 years -- NM mentioned that sharks are everywhere. That is not exactly true. Yes, sharks are everywhere, but people are very rarely bitten. The only exception in SoCal is the beach at Lompoc, where there have been a few fatal attacks. That beach is the only one I would avoid. Otherwise, it's all good.

The other posters are correct -- it is difficult or impossible to get a spot on the beach, especially one with decent surf for groms (newbies). I recommend staying inland a little. Try Olive Street in Vista -- ten minutes from the beaches of Carlsbad. There are many surf schools in the area -- since I already surf, we have never used them so can't make a recommendation. But the schools are well worth while -- they have all the equipment, they know the best places for learners, they have teachers in the water with the kids, etc.

One other note -- the water is usually a lot warmer in San Diego County than further north.

Good luck! But be forewarned -- the kids are going to love surfing. You will now be pestered to spend every vacation in Calif. The kids are going to go to college here, meet someone, and will settle down out here.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Come up to Ventura - Rincon is first come first Serve primitive sites, I would be more than happy to grab a spot for you a couple days before you head out this way. The CGs that require Reservations are - Emma wood state beach all sites are primitive, then north of emma a couple miles is Faria County park with full hook ups , Next door is Rincon and at the end of Rincon is Hobson County Park full hook ups. California summer, all State beaches are booked solid 6-7 months in advance. I'd recommend you set up a notification for
Cancellations at one of the state beaches of your choice and keep monitoring it 24-7. If you go to Santa Barbara County, you have Carpenteria state beach, El Capitan SB and
Refugio SB. If you end up this way I have soft top boards, short boards, kayaks and Stand up paddle boards, your more than welcome to use them, you won't need to worry about rentals. Ventura Harbor is a few miles away, beautiful paddle boarding or kayaking, you can use the courtesy dock grab lunch check out the shops and jump back in the boards or yaks. Like I said your more than welcome to use all my water toys ๐Ÿ™‚
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
lantanatx wrote:
Thanks so much for the information. As far as I can tell the kids don't want to do any "city" things, though I am going to drag them to the La Brea tar pits one day if we can manage it. The boys have never surfed - we are on the Texas coast here and they think boogie boards are "surfing" so suggestions on surf schools are badly needed.

If you can get in Dockweiler State Beach would be a place to consider,it is close to the beach and I have seen surf schools there.

If not there the Other beaches within a short driving distance offer them.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
lantanatx wrote:
Thanks so much for the information. As far as I can tell the kids don't want to do any "city" things, though I am going to drag them to the La Brea tar pits one day if we can manage it. The boys have never surfed - we are on the Texas coast here and they think boogie boards are "surfing" so suggestions on surf schools are badly needed.
Also on the Magic Mountian property is Hurricane Harbor. A few million gallons of huge slides layback tire streams to chill in, and azz-kickin wave pools. THIS is 13YO stuff, and in July you'll be happy it's there. IF you happen to be there or camped at Travel Village over the 4th, you'll have a front row seat to a pretty good fireworks show too. They have them every night but not like on the 4th.

FWIW- if I had a choice, I would trade the Tar Pits for the Regan Library and the original Air Force/1 any day. It's just cool... and pretty close
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
The very best beaches for newbies, in my opinion, are in North San Diego county. There are few RV parks very near the beach -- there are a couple of good ones in Vista. I recommend South Carlsbad State Beach. If they want to learn to surf, there are several good surf schools in the area. I think the schools provide wetsuits -- the water is cold.

Be sure to bring warm clothing -- June and July are often foggy and cool.

Let us know if you want more info!

x2

If Siver Strand State beach is uncontaminated with Sewage from Baja CA. It's got camping and full hook-ups. Clicky
I have never stayed there. There is also a county park that's closeClick Here
Good Luck.

lantanatx
Explorer
Explorer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
No one seems to have noticed that the OP is talking about June/July.
State Beach sites are all booked up already.

They'll have to stay inland or maybe find a private park to stay at.

We're traveling down the California Coast right now and we're only able to get 4 nights at Carlsbad, IN APRIL!

So June and July will be worse.

We tried to get a site at Rincon Parkway on a Wednesday and they were already gone, in MARCH!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes