Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring Trip: South East

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon All,

It is a rainy cold day in NJ so what is there to do but plan the following trip for 2016:

NJ

Raleigh, NC

Charleston, SC

Savannah, GA

Atlanta, GA

Nashville, TN

Pigeon Forge (Dollywood), TN

NJ

We usually stay in full hook-up campgrounds when spending several days visiting a specific area. I am looking for any suggestions for campgrounds, must sees, routes, etc.

Also, we are thinking about late April into May for the trip. Thoughts about the weather in this area at this time of year?

Thanks in advance.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2
34 REPLIES 34

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
Atlanta - Stone Mountain is the closest campground, while I live here and it's not my favorite place to visits to say there is nothing to do is a little extreme. The Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, College Football Hall of Fame, High Museum of Modern Art, Atlanta Children's Museum, the Martin Luther King JR Historical Site and the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Those would top the list of things to do.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Bear in mind that April is prime tornado time in Dixie Alley. Don't stay away but check the weather often.

Make a BIG circle around Atlanta. I usually pass by to the east on GA 11 through Monroe, US 441 through Athens, GA 17 through Elberton, or to the west on US 27 through Carrollton.
-jbh-

103holland
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Atlanta and run the speed limit you will be run over, Last time I went traffic was backed up 50 miles North of Atlanta. Never again. I will go many miles out of my way to avoid it. There is a CG about 30 miles east of Raleigh, rated 10/10/10 by Good Sam but not much to do there except shop at the Outlet Mall. Check on Wilmington for the Azalea Festival. I hear Nashville KOA is nice and should offer a lot nearby.

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Great comments and advice in these posts. I too have inadvertently gotten myself in some tight quarters while towing so I can relate to missing a turn fiasco.

As far as traffic, I live in NJ and have family in CT so yea, I have the pleasure of horrible traffic. On one trip I hit Chicago during traffic hour. That was a rough.

Thanks for the advice on antihistamine and no-seeums. My wife is prone to environmental allergies so I'll make sure she is prepared.

Regarding no-seeums, that is bad news for me. I am everybody's favorite invite to BBQs and picnics. Unfortunately for me it is not because of my witty repartee or devastating good looks. It is because every biting or stinging big within a quarter of a mile will immediately divert to me. That enables everyone else to enjoy their time outdoors free from attack. I guess I will hav to take Deet baths.

I am going to organize and research all the suggestions and come up with what I'm sure will be a fantastic trip

Thanks again.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to get a jump on the planning. I am not sure about the amount of time you intend to take to do this trip. That would be helpful. Are you firm in the route you are thinking of taking? The 2 places that I think you could pass up are Raleigh and Atlanta. Unless you have already planned for things to do and want to see there I don't see the attraction. As replacements I would go to Asheville and Chattanooga. Biltmore house in Asheville is a no miss if you have never been. The aquarium in Chattanooga is a no miss. There are a lot of other things to do in both cities too.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Skip Raleigh
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

southernsnow
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Hector,

Great idea to plan your 2016 itinerary! Since it is going to be a complete gullywasher today in Charlotte, I might as well do the same!

We love Skidaway Island state park in Savannah. One of our favorite places.
And we agree about Oak Plantation in Charleston too.

One thing I'd like to pass on to you as one Garden State-er to another. Our experience in that area during April is to be aware of the no-seeums. We have camped during Easter vacation several years at Skidaway, and it has almost ruined our time with being eaten alive outside. At least in NJ you can see the mosquitos!! Just be prepared.

Enjoy your travels,

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to weather.com and get the averages for any city in the US for any month.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Agree that Stone Mountain is worth a visit. For many years we "camped there" while visiting friends in Atlanta (they are both dead now.)

Some sites will require some pretty creative leveling, but we always managed. On a recent trip to Virginia we found three campgrounds where leveling was a problem, one with very nicely and recently paved parking pads.

My point is that Stone Mountain compares very well.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure exactly what you plan for Raleigh, I haven't had the chance to do much touring, but plan to stay at State Fairgrounds. $25 a night, full hookups, easy to get into and out of.. No bathhouse, so must be self-contained, but a convenient place to stay.

some one recommended bringing antihistamines... Everything in the South pollinates in the March-April time frame.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
When I visited Charleston, SC my intention was to stay at the Mt. Pleasant KOA, intending to visit Patriot's Point. But I missed the KOA sign before the bridge and drove into downtown Charleston. At 4PM. Driving my 'C' and pulling a Jeep 4 down, so "Reverse" wasn't an option. I finally found a lot to pull through and made it back to the KOA. I don't recommend that adventure. But I loved the KOA, Patriot's Point and driving around in Charleston - without the 'C'.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
In Atlanta we did Stone Mountain, we did enjoy it but Atlanta traffic STINKS. Pigeon Forge we stayed at Creek Side, small but nice and a little off the strip which helped.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hector Bravo wrote:
...must sees...?
Charleston has Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, the Fort Lamar Heritage Preserve and Patriots Point Museum.

There are a number of plantations like Middleton Place, Magnolia Plantation and Drayton Hall.

Not too far South of Charleston is the Caw Caw Interpretive Center.

Savanah has a lot to see and do. In the military history venues arena, there are Old Fort Jackson, Fort McAllister, Fort Pulaski and the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum.

For cultural history, there is the Wormsloe State Historic Site and the Savannah History Museum located next to the Visitor's Center which has lots of parking and shuttle bus and tour bus stops.

On the nature side of things, the Oatland Island Wildlife Center run by the Savannah School District is a good environmental education center that is open to the public. There is Skidaway Island State Park, Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge, Wassaw National Wildlife Refuge, Blackbeard Island National Wildlife Refuge, and the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge.

There are lots of Shops along the River Front Plaza.

Hope you have a Great Trip!!!
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the great responses. I am going to print them and use them as the basis for planning.

I am surprised no one seems enthusiastic about Atlanta. Maybe I will reconsider. I really only added it because my preliminary route takes me right by there.

I do love the Smokey Mountains. I once took a motorcycle trip from Skyline Drive all the way down through the Blue Ridge except for a 10-mile section that was closed.

My wife and I do love all things historical as well as grand old architecture.

Thanks again!
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

radio_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
Two Rivers Campground in Nashville, it is close to everything. Grand Old Opry. Pickers Store, Down Town Nashville, lots of bars & places to eat. You can get most of your tickets for shows etc, right in the campground. If you like Corvettes like I do, go up to Bowling Green KY, 62 miles, Corvette Factory Tour & Museum. Hope this info helps.