cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

St Augustine, FL - places to stay?

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
My DW would like to escape to the St. Augustine, FL area for a few weeks this winter if possible. Any suggestions for places to stay and things to do? Debating driving our class C down or trying to find a place to rent in that area. Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks, John S.
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
25 REPLIES 25

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to St. Augustine later this month staying at Bryn Mawr. DW and her Mom love antiquing so I would ask you locals where are the antique shops, etc? This will help the women folk have an activity so I can go to World Golf Village and play golf all week.:B

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
That is great news... Love cities that encourage tourists and provide parking for motorhomes and other vehicles. Chicago is so car and vehicle unfriendly it is unbelievable... And they wonder why they do not get more tourists.....
John & Peg S.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you just passing thru St. Augustine and there for the day , right down town somewhere is a free parking area for RVs. I forget the name of the street but it is next to the county school board offices ,next to a large sports field , one block off the riverfront ! I think it was a 4 hour limit !

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
These parks sound great. Thanks for the suggestions.
John & Peg S.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
For a resonable price and nice place close to the ocean and a inlet and boat launch there is Ocean Grove RV Campground.... was there a month ago and must say it was very nice and did not run $80+ a night either. Check out the reviews on RVParkReviews.com
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

susie_creamchee
Explorer
Explorer
St Augustine is one of our fav places to go. I think the cost of the campgrounds should be in consideration. Bryn Mawr and North beach have the beach but are expensive. Anastasia State park has the beach as well, but its a lot cheaper(and hard to get a reservation). Anastasia and North beach are loaded with vegetation while Bryn Mawr is more open. Stage Coach is in the pines and close to the shopping malls, and reasonably priced. Beverly Beach is nice and has a new section not directly on the beach, but close. They might have a monthly fee.
Have a great time.

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO .. North Beach Camp Resort has more to offer than any other campground in St. Augustine. You have vegetation between sites; the Intercostal Waterway is on one end of the cg, and the Atlantic Ocean on the other. There are two good restaurants within easy walking distance. Staff is friendly and helpful, and there is some activity just about every night. Camp on! (oops, sorry, didn't notice I had already posted on this thread).

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy Beveryly Beach Camptown. I dont stay waterfront, but the Beach access sites are nice and I never notice the traffic from A1A.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
John S wrote:
Do the FL state parks limit you to 14 day stays or?
From the Florida State Park Website: "When demand is great, the maximum length of a camping stay is 14 nights. Once the camper is registered and onsite, and only at the Park Managerโ€™s discretion during periods of low demand, the stay may be extended up to 28 consecutive nights. Park Managers will permit the same campers up to eight weeks aggregate occupancy in any one park in a six month period."
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Do the FL state parks limit you to 14 day stays or?
John & Peg S.

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
linnemj wrote:
We just got back from St. Augustine last week. We likes Anastasia Island State Park. The sites are private and the location is great. We liked to bike into the Historic Downtown area (about 1 1/2 miles). The beach at the park extends north and is very isolated, perfect for long walks and shell hunting. We ate at O'Steen's restaurant twice. Excellent shrimp and scallops at a reasonable price. They are closed Sunday and Monday and it is cash only.

Forgot to mention Anastasia Island SP. They're an outstanding place to stay as well and cheaper than Stagecoach. In winter, no bugs either. Here's a link to info
http://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia/default.cfm

X2. Only stayed one night on way to Disney, wish it had been more. Wife loved it!!!
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Still thinking of spending 4-6 weeks during the winter in that area. Since most state parks do not allow for lengthy stays they could be a problem. Any long term areas we could check out that are nice?
John & Peg S.

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
We go to St. Augustine each year for the last 8 years and always stay at Bryn Mawr. I have a 45' coach and if you pick the right sights on the ocean or near the ocean you won't have any problem getting into the campground. No big frills here except they just put in a new heated pool, hot tub and shower house this last summer, but the beach is the main attraction.

Most of the campsites have a gazebo on them with a picnic table...it is a great location to get everywhere.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

Hjudge49
Explorer
Explorer
I live in St. augustine, and we go to North Beach a couple of times a year with the kids, grands and all our rigs. Lots to see and do around here. In addition to the restaurants already mentioned, try the "World Famous Oasis" at St. Augustine Beach for a great Sunday 'brunch", the Coquina Beach Surf Club at the beach for dinner, and Salt Water Cowboys or Creekside for dinner.