cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stone Mountain Park, Ga and campground

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We have a camping reservation at Stone Mountain Campground in during the third week of July. We've never been there before. Is the campground connected to the park? Can we walk to the park? Ride bikes? Does the campground have a shuttle? How many days should we estimate that it would take to get all things done in the park? We're trying to determine if we should be year passes. If we'll have to drive there and pay for parking, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Karen
23 REPLIES 23

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at my signature photolink and you will find an entire album of pictures from Stone Mountain. We loved it there.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I camped there in January 2013, site 331. Awesome campground. They have what is called Snow Mountain in the winter - they make snow and you can slide down on tubes. In the summer, there is a passenger train you can ride around the park. Bike riders galore - but lots of steep hills. You can visit am old graite quarry, and as stated, hike up Stone Mountain. It gets pretty steep near the top but our 4 year old (at the time) had no problem. Take the service raod part of the way down even though they say not to.

And - take the advice not to follow your GPS to the park. There is a low RR bridge I barley made it under. Can't advise you on the route to take - don't remember the roads, but it is a lot easier to get to the park - call for directions, or follow directions given on your reservation confirmation.

The roads in the park are OK, sites are gravel, some like mne have great views of the mountain. The park office staff is very helpful, and they can fill your propane tanks if needed. I would go there in the summer without a doubt.

There is a part of the park that seems to have residential TT's but it is kept up nice - and they pick up your garbage

Click For Full-Size Photo.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there in July of 2012 - enjoyed it thoroughly. I considered the park to be in good shape during our visit. We were in the loop around the pool; there is very little shade in this area. I posted a review at rvparkreviews.com - I am the one that commented on the low voltage. It will be hot when you are there so keep an eye on your meter if you have one. Voltage below 10% of normal can have serious implications for your A/C unit. And ditto on the laser show. Everybody goes ape when they play Louis Armstrong singing "Georgia On My Mind." Enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there just after Christmas when it was raining constantly. The roads are ok, nothing to be worried about and our site, can't remember which one, was a pull thru and a nice one. We got the CHristmas deal with ours and stayed two nights and went to the park twice, we just drove there, a lot easier.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on everything above. We were there about 1.5 years ago and it is one of our favorite campgrounds. We had a great site over looking the lake and the mountain (333) which made out stay excellent. I cant speak for the concrete sites, but I thought the campground was is good shape, I would not give it any bad marks. The attractions, ski-ride, lazer show, is not more than 2 days. We did not do any trails or golf.

You will have a great time!
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information. It really helps. We're really looking forward to the camping there. Hopefully the campground is in good condition. Some of the reviews I've seen on trip advisor state that the campground is in poor condition. Particularly the roads and the concrete or paved sites.

imadtchmn
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Karen,
Hopefully the information I give will give you some insite to Stone Mountain Campground.

We camped there last year and will again this year. We have spot 357 reserved this year. As to your questions, let me take them one at a time.

The campground is inside the park and when checking in, they will give you a park pass ($10.00) so you can enter and leave the campground without having to pay each time. Once inside the park, all parking is free.

They also have a shuttle going from the campground to the tourist side of the park.(I believe for an extra charge. We normally drive to the other side.) Walking there would take about an hour, however it is possible. They also have a golf course near the campground and fishing on the docks that are at the campground.

Riding bicycles is good exercise and you can cover alot of stone mountain with it. There are lots of trails and paths for hiking, riding etc, including a walking trail to the top of stone mountain (no bikes allowed) or you can take the skylift there. They also have museums and other sites, shops and if you have any children, they will enjoy the rope climbs and other games there.

Make sure you catch one of the laser shows. It will be the same show for the 3rd, 4th and 5th.

You can probably cover most of the sites in the park in a week and I wouldn't think a yearly pass would be needed. I live about 2 hours from there and I just get the pass as I need it.

Since you are using the campground, you can get a discount arm band for most of the things in the park. Saves a lot of money that way.

If you see me there, stop by for some coffee. Hope this helped clear some questions for you.
1998 Chevy 6.5 TB Dually maxed out for power
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33RLK
DH George
DW Sherry
Dog Lady

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have never camped there but live close enough to hear the fire works at night. The campground is inside the park. Once inside you can drive or bike around the mountain to all activities. There are some hills so driving might be better depending on where you want to go.

There are a lot of activities to do in the park. I would think you could get most of them done in 3 days if that is all you do and decide to do everything. Are you planning on doing anything outside the park? Remember downtown we have the World of Coke, GA aquarium and Olympic Park all close by each other.

Stone Mountain is a fun place and if you have kids they will enjoy most activities. You probably know this that all activity in the park cost money to do.

Have fun and enjoy your stay.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I can't help you out but I am anxious to see what kind of replies you get. I'm looking to do a family reunion next summer and this may just be the place to go. We were there a long time ago but did not stay on the property. RVParkRviews.com has 3 reviews one from this month and year which is pretty good. The other two are from June 2013 and they are both complaining about the condition of the CG roads, not sure if that has changed. Good luck.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience