cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tetons N.P. Advice on a Campground

RAMPY
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to the Western U.S.A for next Summer. I would appreciate any recommendations regarding C.G's that are big rig friendly, w/ hookups, and a nice place to stay for 3-4 days from which we could enjoy the Teton area using our toad.
Jack and Mary
2004 DSDP (4010)
2012 Honda CRV
Falcon and BrakeBuddy
FMCA:F337928
13 REPLIES 13

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
There is nothing nice about the RV parks in the town of Jackson - just gravel parking lots.

Colter Bay RV is the best for seeing the park. There are other options if you don't need hookups. Our tanks on our 40' allowed us to dry camp for 10-12 days. Gros Ventre campground in the park is our favorite.

Don't know about you, but I've never considered any CG my destination. Its where I park the RV to sleep while I'm visiting what I came to see, normally for a couple of weeks. I suggested the Virginian because it has a pool if folks have kids and the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar if they don't.

I guess we are different. We choose campgrounds for their beautiful surroundings and ease to do some photography, walking or fishing and not having to drive distances. If visiting a national park staying in the park itself is always an added plus for us. Of course, we enjoy public campgrounds rather than RV parks. . . just us, I guess.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We enjoyed our stay at Colter Bay RV Park in June. As a photographer obsessed with getting to photo spots before sunrise, I appreciated the central location to many of the popular attractions.

Reservations are a must. While sitting in the office, 4 different rigs pulled past the "campground full" sign and asked if they had any available space.

Here is the most photographed barn in the world on Mormon Row...
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
There is nothing nice about the RV parks in the town of Jackson - just gravel parking lots.

Colter Bay RV is the best for seeing the park. There are other options if you don't need hookups. Our tanks on our 40' allowed us to dry camp for 10-12 days. Gros Ventre campground in the park is our favorite.

Don't know about you, but I've never considered any CG my destination. Its where I park the RV to sleep while I'm visiting what I came to see, normally for a couple of weeks. I suggested the Virginian because it has a pool if folks have kids and the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar if they don't.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
In all due respect, to stay in Jackson and drive to Grand Teton is kinda like staying in Williams, AZ and driving to the Grand Canyon. You get there after the beautiful morning colors or leave before the beautiful evening colors what with the travel time (unless you drive in the dark). And, of course, at peak crowds.

It is tough to beat walking the beach at sunrise or sunset at Colter Bay.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Coulter Bay RV park....had a great stay there in June!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Colter Bay - been there 3 times. Great place.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Colter Bay RV Park is very nice for any size RV. Reserve early. Now is not too early if you know the dates.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
KOA in Dubois WY. Loved it there!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Colter Bay Campground doesn't have hookups, but Colter Bay RV Park, right next to it, does.
I've stayed at the Virginian in the town of Jackson. A short drive to the park. FHUs plus a swimming pool.
They also have grocery stores in Jackson that compete on price, and you have to stop in at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar in the center of town. The bar stools are saddles. Stop in, saddle up and order a burger and a beer.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer a little less hustle and bustle than Colter Bay. Headwaters Campground at Flagg Ranch is perfect for us. Full hookups including 50 amp if needed. They have a great restaurant, bar and store. They are only a couple of miles from the south entrance to Yellowstone and it's a short drive to the major attractions and vistas in Grand Teton.

Here's a link to their website for information and reservations:

Headwaters Campground at Flagg Ranch

And for a teaser, here's a picture I took last June.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on Colter Bay. Nice campground, big sites and convenient to all the attractions in the area. Very popular, so call now.

Colter Bay
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Colter Bay RV Campground is the only campground in the park that has full hookups. Very short walk to Jackson Lake and to park services such as cafรฉ, grocery and laundry. I have seen several sites occupied by big coaches. Make your reservations now.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"