cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

topsail vs henderson beach

boatms03
Explorer
Explorer
I have reservastions for henderson beach sp for a stop over (2 nights)on our way to disney. I also have reservations for topsail sp (2 nights also) for the trip home. topsail was quite a bit more for the same amount of nights. is topsail that much better? kind of curious what the big difference is.
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2017 Sierra 381 RBOK
14 REPLIES 14

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
People's opinions will be different. We prefer a concrete parking pad, cable tv and sewer plus the pool and other things at topsail is important to us with having a kid. We prefer that much more than a state park setting. Especially when you are in a resort setting like Destin. If I can help it, I would rather have those additional amenities, especially for a destination. We were there for a week.

Now being that its just a 2 day stop for you, then I would probably opt for the state park feeling. You can dump the tanks on the way out.

You can always do camp gulf and be packed like sardines and pay $100/night. Hehe.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
NolalSafari wrote:
Have been to Topsail several times, very nice reminds me of Fort Wilderness.

Is there more than one Fort Wilderness? Because Topsail is nothing compared to the Fort Wilderness at Disney World.

If you prefer the quiet and natural surroundings of a State Park and a semi private campsite, Henderson Beach State Park is definitely the campground for you. We stayed at Topsail and Henderson Beach on the same trip. We started at Henderson Beach and were sad to leave. When we got to Topsail, we were wishing we could have stayed longer at Henderson Beach.

Topsail is an okay campground. I know folks here love it, but I think it is over-rated. If we were in the Destin area, we'd definitely try for Henderson Beach State park first.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

advntrs
Explorer
Explorer
It really is hard to choose between the two.......However, my wife and I prefer Henderson beach for a quite getaway. The bathroom and showers are some of the best I have come across, so the lack of full hook ups is a non issue for us.
08 F-350 Super Crew 6.4
08 28' Keystone VR-1
"Every man dies, but not every man truly lives"

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
I would not choose to stay at Topsail. Only thing that makes Topsail "better' is the full hook-up. To many rules needed because of the way it was built. More like a resort than a state campground. Fine if you like that.

To far to the beach for us. We ended up driving down a side road and found very nice public beaches.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt. But it's not an excuse.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

eddie3260
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet most don't read the rules.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
eddie3260 wrote:

FYI, don't tie anything around any trees or drive any thing into the ground, you will be fined.

As the rules state
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

eddie3260
Explorer
Explorer
Joe in Texas wrote:
For the cable tv at Topsail......DO I NEED A RECEIVER BOX ? Is there a additional charge for the cable service ? We are there mid July for 10 days.
Thanks

We were there all last week. Cable hooks right up to your trailer connection, included in the price of the lot. You'll love Topsail, it's a very beautiful campground that is maintained meticulously.

FYI, don't tie anything around any trees or drive any thing into the ground, you will be fined.

Joe_in_Texas
Explorer
Explorer
For the cable tv at Topsail......DO I NEED A RECEIVER BOX ? Is there a additional charge for the cable service ? We are there mid July for 10 days.
Thanks

MCDDY
Explorer
Explorer
That's a hard one to call. Henderson's main fault is no sewer and smaller. "BUT" it's in the middle of everything if your wife likes to shop like Miss Sue. Sites are crushed limestone and roomy with large bushes separating you from your neighbor. Very quiet except for traffic noise from US98. No cable but you can get Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Panama City and Dothan?? on your antenna and good satellite reception.
Topsail is more remote as you can't really walk to anything outside the park but there's a Wally World just down the road and good restaurants within 5mi. It has it all, paved sites, 50A, sewer and cable. Quite a walk to the beach on a private path which the tram also runs. If you have bikes they will be appreciated. Same beautiful beach just 5+ mi. difference. Much more traffic within the park unless you're on a site near the rear. *And it has a pool.
Both are great parks and hard to make a choice so take whichever one has an open space.

Enjoy
Dave
GEAUX TIGERS

Dave, Miss Sue & Lucy the Scotty
Big Easy Area.
FMCA 153192
2000 Monaco Windsor, 40' 2 Slide, ISC 350 HP.
2012 Honda Pilot or 1998 Blazer Toads
Aventa 2, Brake Buddy

NolalSafari
Explorer
Explorer
Have been to Topsail several times, very nice reminds me of Fort Wilderness. I will be there Jan. 9-12, 2014 for an Airstream Rally. Go to the back loop the one hundred section, I think I am in 167 this time so look around there.
Thanks

2012 Airstream International Serenity 28
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew Lariat

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Topsail was a private campground that the state of Florida bought and is a great park. Henderson was built as a state park. Henderson is a great state park and compared to other state parks would rank right up there.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

boatms03
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
FHU...cable tv...pool...etc... haven't been to henderson, but I don't think it has all that.

you are correct henderson beach only has water and elect no sewer, and no cable. thanks for the info
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2017 Sierra 381 RBOK

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
FHU...cable tv...pool...etc... haven't been to henderson, but I don't think it has all that.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L