cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Planning: The Perfect Family Trip 2016!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all my friends here that have shared in our first, "The Perfect Family Trip". At the time, we thought that may be a one time shot. We are terribly excited to say that we have had a permanent change in our work that will allow us to have repeat after repeat!

Here's the link to the first trip. Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip

I remember several commenting that the word "perfect" was inappropriate and not synonymous with road trips. Since our first lived up to the word in every way, keeping it in my thread title seemed fitting.

I look forward to having all your input and help in planning our Summer 2016. Reservations are key to us having a stress free trip, so we need to get an itinerary put together soon!

Here's our initial thoughts: Leave SC around June 7th, 2016 and have 6 weeks with a possible 7th if it is needed.

-Badlands
-Hot Springs
-Wind Cave
-Custer SP
-Mt. Rushmore
-Little Big Horn
-Yellowstone
-Tetons
-Glacier (optional...might be too far out for us?)

Looks like about 4500 miles round trip for us. We did 6,000 last summer and were fine with it.

I haven't researched enough to know how much time at each park yet. I'm thinking that Yellowstone is the cornerstone of the trip and deserves about 10 days. If Glacier works in, I think a large block there too, being that it's so far.

Planning with you guys was so much fun, let's start throwing out ideas, suggestions and comments!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
105 REPLIES 105

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
The largest project is that all 4 wheels now have freshly greased bearings! The Dexter EZ-lube system really did make it easy. I'm confident that the bearings are well packed, as a bunch of dirty/old grease was displaced and ejected in the process. It took 2.5 tubes of grease.

How did this work out. I am leary of doing this on my TT due to the possibility of blowing out a seal and ruining the brakes. How old is your TT and how many mile on the bearings? Your trips sounds awesome BTW. Have fun!!

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Renting would be silly, if you are going to have it for more than a week. Even the Walmart in Riverton, Wyoming sells bear spray as well as a couple of stores here in Lander, Wyoming. The closer you get to the Parks, the more expensive it is, at least around here in our part of the world. And, if you can't get it until you get to Grand Teton, the general store at Colter Bay has a large display of bear spray.
John A. Lichty

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchased bear spray in Jackson. One of the stores on the town square, but can't remember which one.

Just did a search for "bear spray in Cody" and found a post that bear spray is available in the WalMart and several other places in town.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
With a quick google search, it appears that you can rent it. However, it is $25 for a week. I can buy it for $40 and will need it for at least 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping I can buy it somewhere local. I'm going to call Amazon today and find out how I can purchase it from them if it won't allow shipping.

Walmart also lists it on their websites, so I'm guessing the Walmarts closest to those parks will have it. Anyone know?

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
You can rent bear spray at the Canyon visitor center in Yellowstone. At least you could last year. Not a bad idea - and they may show you how to use it. Walmart won't.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Well...did not order the bear spray. Amazon wouldn't ship it to my address. I assume a policy with the particular chemical and our local mail service?

Plan B is to pick some up at a Walmart in Wyoming.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Ordering the bear spray today! We've been watching how to use it videos on youtube. There's a little bit of fear, but that's good. It didn't help that we just watch "The Revenant". That bear scene is intense.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Will do.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from 4 days in Yellowstone. If you look at my trip report,you can see the campgrounds we stayed at on the way out and back
and where we stayed and what we saw in Yellowstone.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a great trip!

We've spent the entire day working on the trailer. I'm exhausted, but feel accomplished. The largest project is that all 4 wheels now have freshly greased bearings! The Dexter EZ-lube system really did make it easy. I'm confident that the bearings are well packed, as a bunch of dirty/old grease was displaced and ejected in the process. It took 2.5 tubes of grease.

Taking a quick nap and this evening I will sanitize the water system. ๐Ÿ™‚

sedwheathome
Explorer
Explorer
Hey tragusa3-
We are also heading to Rushmore & Badlands same time frame! This trip will be our 1st Out West Trip. We have an 8 yr. old and rv.net forum has been a tremendous resource as we planned this trip. Safe travels!

Here's our itinerary:
*Badlands
*Rushmore
*Devil's Tower
*Custer State Park
*Crazy Horse
*Wind &/or Jewel Cave

AND if at all possible Bedrock City LOL

Hope to stop at the St. Louis Arch on return trip
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins Turbo Diesel
2011 Jayco Eagle RKS313
Daddy, Mommy, and our boy, Jacob (8 yrs old)

***Off to see the United States of America***

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Just got some good news from the Principal at my school. The school schedule was for our last day to be a Monday. This was frustrating, as we would have had to stay home for the weekend. I asked the Principal if he would let me scoot off on the Friday if I had all my EOY punch-list done. He said yes! That adds an additional 3 days to the trip!

Greasing trailer bearings this morning and changing oil in the truck next weekend!

Got my wife and myself new hiking shoes. Went with the Merril, Moab Ventilators in a low cut.

Still have to order bear spray.

That's great! The best type of surprise for those of us still working and fitting these trips in around work...
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Just got some good news from the Principal at my school. The school schedule was for our last day to be a Monday. This was frustrating, as we would have had to stay home for the weekend. I asked the Principal if he would let me scoot off on the Friday if I had all my EOY punch-list done. He said yes! That adds an additional 3 days to the trip!

Greasing trailer bearings this morning and changing oil in the truck next weekend!

Got my wife and myself new hiking shoes. Went with the Merril, Moab Ventilators in a low cut.

Still have to order bear spray.