cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: The Perfect Family Trip!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
EDIT: I wanted to add this link here at the beginning.

Ragusa's Summer 2014 Trailer

Hello friends! We have been home for two months, but I am just now feeling like getting to the trip report. The trip was so EPIC, that I was honestly a bit intimidated to put it into a thread. Realizing now that I could never do the trip justice, I decided to just jump in and let the report come out the best it does.

Over the last year or more, many folks on this forum had helped in the planning over on this thread: A year of planning for the perfect family trip! Thank you to all that contributed.

Some were put off by my use of the word "perfect", saying that it wasn't possible. Well, not only was it possible, but it was accomplished! Perfect doesn't mean trouble free. Having the right state of mind is necessary at times. But all in all, 99% of the trip went off exactly as we had hoped.

I want to give a thorough report. We have 20,000 photos and over 20 hours of video to sort and sift through. I've been working diligently on iMovie and already have half the trip put together. I put together a very brief slideshow for close friends and family, and even that is a 4 hour process showing some 1,000 pictures. That being said, the photos and videos are a labor of love for us personally. I hope to share them with people, but understand how hard it is to sit through other families home movies. That's where you folks come in! We have a common interest. Campers, camping, travel, etc. I think posting here will be a great way to share with the community.

The trip: We left on June 6, 2014 from South Carolina and headed west for a 40 day loop through the Southwest. We hit as many National Parks as we could in that time frame. When we parked the truck in the driveway, the odometer read 5,999.9 miles. Every last one of them treasured.

Places visited:

Petrified Forest
Walnut Canyon
Sunset Crater
Wupatki
Grand Canyon
Glen Canyon and Lake Powell
Kanab, Utah
Zion
Bryce
Capitol Reef
Goblin Valley
Arches
Canyonlands
Moab
Mesa Verde
Durango
Silverton
Ouray
Ridgway
Black Canyon of the Gunnison
Rocky Mtn National Park
Sand Creek
Wichita
St. Louis

I listed places we actually stopped and did things. There were many other things that were just quick "on the road" stops.

The family: Family of 4. We're in our late 40's with twin 9 year old boys.

My windows to post may be sporadic, so I think it's best for me to post in installments, as I get the time. Like a mini-series. LOL

I'll do my best to keep you entertained and offer opinions for any that have questions.

ADDED: Here's a link to one segment of our home movie 2014 ARCHES VIDEO
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
246 REPLIES 246

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
All your pics are making me want to pack up and head out to Utah now! Great report!
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos and trip!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
ARCHES Part 4

Have to say, the campsite was a pretty good spot for breakfast! Here we are starting off the next day.

Today we started by hiking "Sand Dune" arch. This is a very easy and short hike. Recommended for those that don't hike.

Being in-between these massive fins was an other worldly experience!

Once inside the space, it opened up into a cavernous oasis. I'd imagine that the mid day heat has a hard time penetrating.

There's not much to the arch itself, this hike is about the getting there.

We then went over to the "Windows" area. I think we hiked up to all the arches there.

Then on to the "Park Avenue" area. We did not hike here. Had to save something for next time!

This particular evening, the winds got incredibly strong. They forced us back to camp, where we had to hunker down in the camper and wait it out. The kids were crying from being sandblasted, etc. By the end of it, we had to take every blanket, sheet, etc. out of the camper to dump the sand.

We all agreed at this point that if the winds persisted the next day, we would leave early. However, we woke up to a gorgeous morning and a fantastic day!

Here is another shot of the campsite with the boys playing around.

In most parks, the boys made friends quickly. Here's the group while we were here at Arches. They exchanged emails with several groups of kids, but never have sent the first letter. Ah, to be young again and feel like everyone is a bestie for life. It took me back to that same feeling I had from vacations my parents took us on. I hope that the full timer community is similar...20 years from now I'll find out.

I'm leaving so much out...I couldn't possible post of everything we did. As jam packed as these posts appear, realize that the experience was so much larger!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
ARCHES Part 3

We got back to camp right at about noon. It was getting hot, so we drove into town and stopped at a jeep rental place for some suggestions on trails to explore. That, combined with research on this forum, led us to our mid day drive on "Onion Creek" trail.

We drove on 128 for about 20 minutes, and on the right was a small sign marking the start. The trail winds back through some beautiful scenery. It crosses the creek no less than 20 times, and we saw exactly one other vehicle over the several hours we were back there. The off the beaten path discoveries can really turn into highlights.

We used a shady spot to pull the camping stove out and grill up some chili dogs! We spent a while here, just hooting and hollaring and enjoying the sounds of the echo and the creek. It had to be 20 degrees cooler here than in the sun.

We left Onion Creek and went across to the next trail we had been wanting to do, "Chicken Corners". We never made it that far. We stopped at "Hurrah Pass". It was recommended that with our super long wheelbase, we would drag on some of the shelves of the trail. We took the advice.

This trail was different than Onion Creek, although it looks similar in photos. Onion Creek stayed in the valley, and this climbed several thousand feet and then looked out across a vastness. Later in the trip, we realized it was looking back into the canyons of Canyonlands, just from the opposite side of the park itself.

If you look closely, you'll see a car in this photo. That gives a pretty good feel for the scale of this place. Scale is very hard to capture in photos. The trail followed along drop-offs like this for a large portion. Not for those wary of heights.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
ARCHES Part 2

Alright, let's see how smooth it goes this morning.

The next morning, we woke up before the sun and got an early start. We were hiking the "Devil's Garden", and the idea of getting caught out there in the heat was not attractive! As I said, it's all about time management, if you go this time of year. The mornings are beautiful, and so are the late evenings.

One neat thing was that our campsite would have all sorts of trails through the sand in the morning. Mostly from reptiles, as this appears to be.

Here are what is called "fins". These are mostly destined to become arches, but currently are just large, flat, well...fins.

There's some enhanced sense of adventure when leaving early and being one of only a few on the trail. I enjoy the mind game of convincing myself that, even though the trail is covered by millions, I am pioneering new territory and could come across practically anything. Making these trips exciting for the kids has a lot to do with that. Silly? yes. Fun? yes.

After "Landscape Arch", there is a sign that says something about the trail being primitive from this point forward. That it was. There were times that we lost the trail and had to search for kerns (stacks of rock to mark the trail), and times that got fairly steep, slippery and high.

This section took us up and over a fin.

And this may not be trouble for most that can push away from the dinner table. ๐Ÿ™‚

We went all the way to the back to see "Double-O" arch. However, there was a point just before getting there that we decided the risk was not worth it. The trail climbs up on top of a fin. The trail is roughly 10' wide with drops on either side of, well, further than we wanted to fall! It would have been okay, except that the wind was so terribly strong, that it took great concentration to keep your balance and stability. A lady was coming back from the end and stopped to tell us that the trail doesn't get any easier. We decided this spot was a great payoff, and we didn't need to force the issue.

On the way back, we took the side trails to a few other arches, Navajo arch being one.

We're always asked for a favorite hike of the trip...I'm thinking that "The Narrows" trumps them all for coolness. After that, pick any, because they each had a uniqueness that can't be compared. This trail was exactly that, incomparable.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
You're doing a great job and all of us appreciate your postings.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Arches Part 1

We rolled into Arches at about 7pm, stopped at the visitors center and then went back to Devil's Garden for our campsite. The campground itself was spectacular, quite the experience. Most places we've camped can be thrown into a category...mountains, woods, beach, etc. But this site will probably remain a unique experience. The camper and truck really had nothing more than the shoulder of the road, but the site was huge, with privacy and a red rock playground for the kids! The major consideration if camping here, is that it is 20-30 minutes into the park, and a real drive to anywhere else. If we did it again, I would stay only 2 nights here, and then move to town for a 3rd night.

We were really dreading the weather here. From reading this forum, it was suggested that the campground would be worth dealing with the heat. If you ask me now, I say yes. If you had asked me then... We had no electricity and highs right at 100. Oh, and no dump site either, so it wasn't like we could take cool showers at will. We planned our days (3) carefully. Got moving at sunrise and got ourselves to somewhere air conditioned (restaurant, groceries, laundry, visitors centers) for the middle of the day. We'd come out again around 5pm and explore for another few hours. Actually, we did several off road trails during the hot part of the day and had the A/C from the truck. So...the heat didn't slow us down.

The first evening, we caught a sunset at double arch. It was a very cool experience to walk up to this massive rock structure. Photo don't capture it. Driving by doesn't capture it. When you walk under this mass of rock, it is overwhelming! We hung out till the sun went down, and got back to camp at dark.

Unfortunately, I'm going to stop here. The internet is VERY slow, and uploading these photos is killing me. I'll try again tomorrow.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you did great on budget. Pretty sure we spent 3k going only 650 miles to the smokies for 11 days. But we're the type that likes to horseback ride, zip line, and stay at FHU sites.
And yet some people like to take my entire yearly camping budget and fly to Disney. To each their own but good for you for staying on budget. It's really hard to do on vacation. Looking forward to the next set of pictures!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Goblin Valley State Park

The drive from Capitol Reef to Arches wasn't as stunning as the early parts of Hwy 12, but still very interesting. It was probably the most "odd" section of the trip. Cows on the road and gas stations inside mountains...

There's a lot of nothing all around Goblin Valley.

and then, every once in awhile, something like this...

Our GPS was a bit messed up here, come to find out, they changed the entry road or something. Either way, from the turn off on the main road, to the entry gate, is roughly 20 minutes that feels like you're heading nowhere and not sure if you're on the right road. The signage was not confidence inspiring. But in the end, glad we gambled a bit. I almost turned around.

If you have young kids, this park is a must stop. They really enjoyed climbing and running about. Mom and Dad were glad they stopped, but don't have to do it again. 99% of visitors drive back to the first valley walk around for 20 minutes and then leave the park. I wouldn't plan more than a 2 hour stop. We stayed about 3, but cooked lunch and ate under the nice covered picnic overlook.

Left from Capitol Reef in the morning, were here about noon, and drove on to Arches by sunset. It was a long day!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I was messaged regarding the cost and expenses of the trip. Seems like it might be an interesting topic to others, or maybe even helpful. So I'll respond here.

A trip like this could be "all over the map" (pun intended) cost wise. It depends so much on what your goals are financially, what your tolerance is, what your lifestyle expectations are, and on and on...

We are the average american family in respect to income. We are not average in our spending and saving habits. We haven't had a credit card in 20 years, and set a limit on spending that is comfortably far from bouncing off zero. Not saying this to brag, as there is nothing to brag about...I'm simply illustrating that your philosophy in your daily living will probably spill over into a trip like this. It did for us, not only because it's hard to break habit, but because there are versions of this trip that we could not have afforded! ๐Ÿ™‚

Doing this on a tight budget was a priority. So here goes:

6,000 miles @ 11.5mpg = 522 gallons at $3.75 = $1956
30 nights @ $28 = $840
10 nights @ walmart = $0
Food, we ate out for 2 meals, so it's the same as home = $0
Park Pass = $80
Other passes = $200
Breakdown, not really trip related = $400
special gear before the trip = $300
dog sitter = $200

Trip total = $3976

Family of 4 for 6 weeks = $662 / week or $100 per day.

I could argue that the strict trip cost was only gas and campground/fees @ $3076

This trip could double in cost without blinking an eye. Start eating out, stay at RV parks with full utilities, do the rafting, bungee, donkey, helicopter stuff...

We had a trip that will define our families "golden age". You can't put a price on that, and I wouldn't take ten times the money to erase the memories.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff......thanks for posting!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the same place. Glad to hear you were getting hot too. I suppose it's just what happens with miles of 10% in the summer heat. LOL

The mountain had lots and lots of boon docking type sites all around the peak and the northern side. If we had a little time, we would have stopped for a night with a view like that!

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
...There was a grade about an hour before getting to Capitol Reef, that had the tranny temp see its highest! 232 degrees for about 10 minutes. I figure it was about a 10% grade and it was 95d outside (Just found a photo, it was 10%). The truck had no problem at all, except I was getting concerned about that tranny gauge. That was the only moment of the trip that was over 210d. 210d seemed where it would settle for typical 6%.

This was a roadside pull off on top of the mountain that got the temps up. Anyone recognize it?

That looks like the view from the top of Boulder Mountain on UT-12. We had to stop at the same place in 2011 to let our rig cool down - not that long of a grade, but really builds up some heat.

This is the view we had in 2011:

Looks like a great trip. Keep the photos coming!
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing. Thanks for sharing and keep it up. I feel like I'm with you guys! Your pics on the national park signs look a lot like ours. People just kind of plopped anywhere randomly and someone always wants to be standing up in the back with their head poking up. Cute.

I have to admit, not sure that sleeping at night when it's 90 would be comfortable......we've gotten spoiled with our AC and furnace and it would be difficult to not have 30amp access.
You guys really did move around a lot, but I guess you have to to see what you want to see. I'm planning a trip out east this summer and we'll move every 2-3 days. Our trip will only be 1800 miles though, not 6000. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Capitol Reef

The drive from Bryce to Capitol Reef, on Hwy12, was a vacation in and of itself. Our favorite stretch of road for the entire trip! Wish we had time to stay in the area and explore a bit.

There was a grade about an hour before getting to Capitol Reef, that had the tranny temp see its highest! 232 degrees for about 10 minutes. I figure it was about a 10% grade and it was 95d outside (Just found a photo, it was 10%). The truck had no problem at all, except I was getting concerned about that tranny gauge. That was the only moment of the trip that was over 210d. 210d seemed where it would settle for typical 6%.

This was a roadside pull off on top of the mountain that got the temps up. Anyone recognize it? We stopped and made grilled cheese sandwiches and took a siesta from driving.

We had allowed for just one night here. That worked out fine for our energy level. We were fairly tired at this point, and used this as a "driving" visit. The park was stunning. We would plan 3-4 days if visiting again.

We camped in Fruita, right in the fruit orchards. Here's a buck finding a snack.

We spent our time mainly doing the unpaved roads of the park. We felt like big explorers. I felt like the driver of "Big Foot", until an old lady in a Prius came off the trail we had just done. LOL.

This road wound through a very tight canyon for an hour or so. Spectacular. We saw all sorts of rock formations, and some abandoned and boarded off uranium mines.

Here's a very complimentary drawing my son did of what I look like napping at camp. I don't see the likeness???

Here's a shot of the campsite. No power (no A/C) and highs in the mid 90's, we were barely escaping the lowlands in time. It was a bit uncomfortable sleeping for the next week of the trip. Of the 6 weeks, it was the only time this was a problem.

No pictures from our ranger program on the stars, but it was very informative and a stunning view. Again, the Milky Way doesn't pop out until nearly 11pm. It takes that long to get dark enough. But when it did, it really did! The ranger said that light pollution is about as good as it gets in the U.S. there isn't even a single red-light in the county.

Next stop, Goblin Valley and Arches...