cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trip to Idaho

wiggles_n_wooff
Explorer
Explorer
First time Idaho trip. Have kids and small dogs, 27 foot C class, Looking for recommendations for camping. We like national forest setting, lakes/rivers rather than condo camping. we will be travelling from California northern and going up though Oregon and across. Just would like a taste of Idaho, and have some relaxing places to camp. Please shout out too if there are any must see places. We will not be going to southern Idaho. Many thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Priest Lake, Idaho. Way up north, beautiful lake and it is great to swim in.

wiggles_n_wooff
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all very much!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
These blog posts might provide some ideas:

Sawtooths 2017

Sawtooths 2016
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are near the southern area of the state "Craters of the Moon" national monument is very interesting. Plenty of camping just up the road in Arco.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stanley is spectacular. Mtn View Lodge in Stanley has rv hookups and their own private hot spring.

It fits on the Deadwood loop and you get Lowman as a bounus on the way back.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

24mileboy
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to McCall, then head for Stanley, and possibly Island Park/West Yellowstone depending on the amount of time! There are a lot of campgrounds and areas to boondocks if you look! Good luck and have fun!

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
In McCall Pondersosa State Park or Cascade - Warm Lake - Yellow Pine - Deadwood

or Dworshak - Clearwater NF; Selway and Clearwater Rivers

Cascade and McCall are overrun w tourists and Bosieans w no regard for cv19
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Coeur Dโ€™Alene - itโ€™s beautiful. We are headed there for a week mid July on a 1 month road trip from so cal.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

wiggles_n_wooff
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for all the help, thinking of going to Lake Cascade first and Mc Call and working way up but probably not Coeur d Alene due to time constraints!. We dont want to be just driving all day to try to see everything. But want to do another trip to explore Coeur d Alene area next time. Mostly national forest or state parks but will need and occasional full hook up night due to small holding tanks on the C Class. Blazing Zippers that is so funny the gun store telephone number! We are in the bay area CA and we are having an increase too but we are also having a lot of protesting too! I have the visit Idaho book too. Thank you all very much, I am making note of all the places you all have suggested!

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in here a second time; Southern Idaho seems to be experiencing a second hit of the virus. We're possibly heading South in a few days and are planning to just git and go through Southern ID.
Northern Idaho doesn't have too big an issue as of yet. Most everything is open with distant socializing. Not much in the way of protesting going on either.
A side note on our town; we have a liquor store, a gun store, a sandwich shop, and a chiropractor in the same building-all essential-and the gun store's tele number begins with 666. Now, how are ya gonna beat that?
Come on up, the area is great.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What part of Idaho do you plan to visit? Boise area, Pocatello area, or Coeur d Alene area? All different options.

If you are going from Oregon into a taste of ID, you are hitting the Boise area, probably not as much fun as other areas unless you are willing to drive north towards Stanley or RedFish Lake.

Boondocking or looking for a camp ground with power and water?

wiggles_n_wooff
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great ideas. Sandra

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Panhandle is a water wonderland.
The central Batholith is the Land of Big Mountains.
Take your pick.
In the summer forget about the Snake River Plain because it is too dang hot.

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a free RV Idaho sent to you from www.visitidaho.org
I order one prior to visits to Idaho, my last one is the 2011 edition.