cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble on the border

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have Big Bend, Texas on our list of things to see and do this year and we are wondering how safe it is with all the problems with the border crossings? Anyone have Big Bend on their list this year?
60 REPLIES 60

Explorer II
Explorer II
My last word on this, Nothing Has Changed! What is taking place on the Texas border today has been taking place for many, many years. The only difference is it's being broadcasted today to be used for political fear mongering. It appears to be working.

It has always been Central Americans crossing the border. There are more El Salvadorans in Houston than illegal Mexicans by far.

South of the border is a different story. I no long cross the border, which I miss. I feel like I have a price on my head and am an easy target. Reynosa and Progreso today is different than it was yesterday.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I do appreciate all of the replies and the different opinions. Problem being, this is now, March 2021 with the border wide open. A different today from yesterday. Things are not the same. We've been to many border towns over our 27 years of traveling in a motorhome with never a problem. Have walked across into Mexico many times. Again...this is now not yesterday. It is NOT just Mexicans crossing the border - it is South American countries. Personal opinion: FOX news tells it like it is. Not CNN with their coverups. PERSONAL OPINION!

Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
A couple full-timing in an RV were brutally murdered on Padre Island Texas. News Story HERE. Images of the two accused murderers are below.

These are the type of people that concern me, not the fence jumpers.

Below is a mugshot of the scumbag that stole our new TT out of our driveway in 2012. RV.NET Link to that story. Notice any similarities?

To the OP; you have every right to be concerned about traveling in Texas. However, I believe you may have your concerns misdirected.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
2oldman wrote:
I never was afraid of anyone crossing the border as I figure they came for a better life, not to start out by committing crimes.

...as they start out by committing a crime...

Yup, it's a federal crime to cross the border illegally. Why should we, or would we, trust anyone that broke a federal law to get here??

We have legal methods to enter our country ... use those methods and everyone's happy.

Absolutely. Thatโ€™s how my grandparents came here, LEGALLY.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
2oldman wrote:
I never was afraid of anyone crossing the border as I figure they came for a better life, not to start out by committing crimes.

...as they start out by committing a crime...

Yup, it's a federal crime to cross the border illegally. Why should we, or would we, trust anyone that broke a federal law to get here??

We have legal methods to enter our country ... use those methods and everyone's happy.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Hungry tired people can become desperate. Close friend down near the border said there's been a significant uptick in crime. It's bad enough, she reached out to me asking about buying a firearm.

So someone from Texas needs advice on buying a fire arm?
Yeah OK!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:
I donโ€™t know. I sat in a waiting room last year and they had Fox News on. Near as I can tell it was just a soap box for a certain political party. I didnโ€™t see anything that represented any kind of news. Actually getting tougher to find news in English. I get most of my news in German or Spanish. :).

You prefer the soap box for a different political party without any kind of news.

I do like to pick up the international news to get a different view sometimes but even there, it's heavily agenda based.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple full-timing in an RV were brutally murdered on Padre Island Texas. News Story HERE. Images of the two accused murderers are below.

These are the type of people that concern me, not the fence jumpers.

Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Too many people here have preconceived stereotypes. We were at Big Bend last week, mostly in Lajitas and also boondocked at picnic areas near there with our rig. There are no issues, don't need a gun. It's a great area that shouldn't be missed. Paranoia...it turns people into fools.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Per the LINK
Big Bend National Park (zip 79834) violent crime is 23.4. (The US average is 22.7)
Big Bend National Park (zip 79834) property crime is 38.5. (The US average is 35.4)

Big Bend crime rates are slightly higher then the the US Avg
Wonder WHY?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Hungry tired people can become desperate. Close friend down near the border said there's been a significant uptick in crime. It's bad enough, she reached out to me asking about buying a firearm.

I don't know where your friend lives but you must understand Texas shares a 1250 mile border with Mexico. Risk is higher in populated areas than remote areas such as Big Bend.

I think before I cancelled my travel plans, I might call the visitor's center and see if they can shed some light on concerns.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
This thread makes me laugh.

Was Big Bend or Texas safer, or less dangerous last year? 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago? Nothing has changed down here for the 50 years I've lived here. Do yourself a favor and turn off the TV.

Exactly! Too much misinformation being reported.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Drug traffic activity is easily spotted by Border Patrol. Illegal crossings are very rare. People stand out in the area, and anyone trying to cross near Big Bend has over a hundred miles of desert to cross to get to possible farther transportation.

Unless you come across an unsuspecting/unarmed family in a 40' RV, then transportation comes in much closer....just sayin.... ๐Ÿ™‚ ...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Big Ben National Park Crime Rate
Hmm, interesting link, thanks. I compared Big Bend's crime rate to that of my own city of 100,000+ (a suburb of Tulsa) and was pleasantly surprised to learn that my city has less crime than Big Bend!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Big Bend National Park and the nearby area is likely the safest US border area of any part of the continental US borders - safer than almost all of the US - CANADA border. I would certainly believe Big Bend is safer than the St. Clair River between Michigan and Canada.

Big Bend is about a hundred miles from nowhere in the US, almost double that from anywhere in Mexico.

It has always been one of the very lowest activity areas of the US - Mexico border as far as crossing - illegal or legal. Extremely low drug trafficking, almost never human trafficing.

There is one legal border crossing between Del Rio, TX and Persidio, TX - a distance of almost 300 miles along the river. That crossing is a BOAT at Boquillias near Rio Grande Village Campground in the National Park.

It takes near a hundred miles of unimproved dirt road in Mexico to get to the park river boundary.

Drug traffic activity is easily spotted by Border Patrol. Illegal crossings are very rare. People stand out in the area, and anyone trying to cross near Big Bend has over a hundred miles of desert to cross to get to possible farther transportation.

East near Del Rio is a much easier place to cross and disappear into the US. Persidio, TX is better, but very hard to avoid Border Patrol.

The emergency wildfire crew for the NP is Mexican residents of Boquillas. They have been known to turn in strangers who try to enter the US illegally.

Right now I'm sitting in Mercedes, TX - about 5 miles from the border, maybe 25 miles from Matamores - where I will not go.

We crossed into Mexico on Saturday at Nuevo Progresso, to buy drugs. Metformin, Losartin and a few other prescriptions for diabetes, blood pressure, thyroid. They were cheaper than the $10 co-pay of my retired US Navy health plans.

There are places in the US near the border where I will not go. More places in Mexico where I would not go.

Big Bend area is about the safest there is in my experience.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT