Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tucson to Zion in Mid-March?

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

We are really struggling with our spring break plans. One option is to go to Zion. I think I will be beautiful there then, and not too crowded. Question for the experts - do you think we will hit snow on the way there. Standard route goes through Flagstaff ...

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
16 REPLIES 16

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly!
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha......... reservation road is well marked but the signs are not that clear that it is the alt 89; would surely agree on that.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
I you do not recognize the warnings (there are signs 15 miles before the closure) and drive down that road with all the other cars, you will come in your RV to the washed out road. You will then have to make a u turn to get back to the reservation road. Not pretty in a large RV. I saw it happen.
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I've been down 89 in a car. If you are in a large RV, especially a towed one, MAKE SURE you do not go down to the closed road - turn around would be very very challenging.

Huh? Not sure what was said here.

BTW, we drove the alt 89 (Indian road) this late summer with our 34 foot 5er with no issue.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
I've been down 89 in a car. If you are in a large RV, especially a towed one, MAKE SURE you do not go down to the closed road - turn around would be very very challenging.

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
89 six years ago and 89 today is not the same conditions. In fact there is a new section to 89 due to major damage on the 89 so they improved an Indian highway and that is what you take now.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
steveandjil wrote:
Thanks guys - even managed to score 4 nights in Watchman. Apparently Valley of Fire SP does not accept reservations - I think we will leave very early and hope for the best. Anyone know of any alternatives in case we get goosed there?

Steve

There are a number of CG's in the National Park just east of Valley of Fire (all along Lake Mead). Going that way out of VoF is gorgeous and worth your time and it dumps you out in Henderson and you'll miss all of the Las Vegas traffic. Chances are good you will have no problem getting a site in VoF and it is awesome!

Taking I-15 north and south between St George and Vegas is definitely the way to go especially in March. North on 89 from Flagstaff and then 89A up and over to/through Jacob Lake is very scenic and in the warmer months the preferred route but I would not risk it in March.

:C

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Janns--
From what I remember, 89 going north from Flagstaff wasn't too bad until we got past where 89A breaks off. It seemed like from there to Page we were beaten to death by the seams in the road. We felt like we were being shaken to death. Then as we headed west on 89 from Page to Kanab it was just as bad. I remember slowing down to 50 mph or so and driving with my curb side tires almost over the line to soften the ride. Now, one thing I should mention is this was our first MH, a national Sea Breeze 32' class A, and our first extended trip. We obviously were not used to driving or riding in a motor home. So maybe we were overly sensative. For our return to Phoenix we opted to take the Las Vegas route home, and enjoyed that drive much more than the trip up. I guess it would be interesting to drive that original route again and see how it compares now that we are more familiar with driving a coach. I'd like to head back up to southern Utah to see Bryce Canyon, but I don't think I could convince the DW to take that drive again.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin....Just curious what there is to hate about the road conditions to Page (unless there was construction). I've driven it many many times over the past 25 years with no problem.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys - even managed to score 4 nights in Watchman. Apparently Valley of Fire SP does not accept reservations - I think we will leave very early and hope for the best. Anyone know of any alternatives in case we get goosed there?

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the Las Vegas route, if nothing else than for the roads. We went to Zion through Flagstaff and Page to Kanab and hated the road conditions to Page, then west to Kanab on hwy 89. This was about 6 years ago, in mid May. We came home through Las Vegas and down 93 to Phoenix. Much smoother road conditions and it was only about 50 miles further in distance. The weather was fine, with a couple of cool, windy days. But plenty of sunshine.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! You have convinced me - I also think I will go the Las Vegas route instead of Flagstaff.

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
steveandjil wrote:
Hi Folks,

We are really struggling with our spring break plans. One option is to go to Zion. I think I will be beautiful there then, and not too crowded. Question for the experts - do you think we will hit snow on the way there. Standard route goes through Flagstaff ...

Steve

You are in a House right, some of the best rips in Utah have been when we were so lucky and got to see those beautiful Red Rocks in the SNOW.

If you watch the weather, and drive smart you will not have an issue, IMHO, Go for it, worst thing that can happen is you spend a night or two waiting out a big storm but most likely you will have little orr no issue.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with watching the forecast, having a backup plan, and deciding at the last minute based on weather.

My dad went to Zion in October 2013 (a similarly iffy time of year). He woke to a bit of snow one morning, but the rest of the time it was gorgeous. And empty!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.