cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to see around San Francisco - 2 to 3 weeks.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
After visiting Hearst Castle, King Canyon, Yosemite NP and San Francisco my DW needs to fly from SF back to TN for 2 to 3 weeks. She will then fly back to SF and we will start a 6 week tour of North CA coast, OR and WA.

What should I see around SF while she is in TN? I like BLM, NFS campgrounds. I do not want to duplicate places (like Napa valley) that she and I will see on our way north from SF.

Maybe I will simply "hang out" on the coast (south or north of SF) for a few weeks. Any low cost suggestion? I have a 30 foot 5er.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
19 REPLIES 19

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
What time of year will this be? That could influence the options. Also, what sorts of things do you like to do -- fishing? hiking?

It will be the month of June. I like to sightsee mother nature.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
What time of year will this be? That could influence the options. Also, what sorts of things do you like to do -- fishing? hiking?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Blow your mind with the Folsom Street Fair! September 30, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 6:00 pm. My son told me about this ... do a Google Search! You won't believe it! (well, maybe someone will!)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
As I stated in the original posting after visiting SF. Actually I was looking for someplace to camp within 100 to 150 miles of SF and sightsee outside of SF. I am sorry that I was not clear. However, I now have a number of new sites to see in SF.

My apologies OP, I didn't know you were leaving the area since your wife was coming back. 2 or 3 weeks to kill, I might take a 7 hour drive down to San Diego for a couple weeks and kill some time there. Beautiful weather year round, certainly warmer than San Fran right now!

Whatever you do, hope you enjoy!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, you've got suggestions from Big Sur to the Russian River.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Ride the cable cars, go China town and you have to go to the Buena Vista club for their famous โ€œIrish coffeeโ€ via the cable car.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
TenOC wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
If it was me, I would spend more time in the city (love Fishermans Wharf and Chinatown!) and take some day trips up the Pacific Coast Highway without the camper.

But where to park a 30 foot 5er . . . :h

I assume he is already there somewhere and looking for ideas on how to kill time. I wouldn't pull my 5er into downtown, but if my 5er was parked at one of the numerous campgrounds in/around San Fran, downtown quickly becomes a fun option;)

As I stated in the original posting after visiting SF. Actually I was looking for someplace to camp within 100 to 150 miles of SF and sightsee outside of SF. I am sorry that I was not clear. However, I now have a number of new sites to see in SF.

Travel Photos

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
If it was me, I would spend more time in the city (love Fishermans Wharf and Chinatown!) and take some day trips up the Pacific Coast Highway without the camper.

But where to park a 30 foot 5er . . . :h

I assume he is already there somewhere and looking for ideas on how to kill time. I wouldn't pull my 5er into downtown, but if my 5er was parked at one of the numerous campgrounds in/around San Fran, downtown quickly becomes a fun option;)
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
stop into a hotel and get some brochures to see what to see in SF. there is a lot to see down there. lot of history. even back in the 60's when I was in the navy there I saw a lot of stuff. the Navy had tour buses for us to get around on. man, it was fun for a kid of 18

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I loved the guided tour bus that we took for a day trip. It took you to a lot of fascinating sites including a stop at Seal Rock. It also showed you the huge San Andreas fault line, famous houses, Haight Ashbury, Coit tower and other sites.

Also, you can take a tour of the giant Sequoia trees from a bus leaving San Francisco. I also agree with seeing Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf.

Taking the ferry to Sausalito and eating at the waterfront cafes is also fun. Do not miss the tour of the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. There are tons of shops surrounding the chocolate factory as well. Watching them stir the huge vats of chocolate can make your mouth water. They have a store connected to the factory that sells all their products including cookbooks. I did not leave empty handed.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You could do a Google search for `San Francisco tourism' and read on. We spent a night on the Queen Mary in Long Beach a couple of years ago.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Muir Woods, Bodega Bay, Russian River Valley, Santa Cruz, Samuel P. Taylor SP, Mendocino, Monterey, Carmel, Sonoma, Marin Headlands, Pt. Reyes National Seashore to name a few.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
With that amount of time I'd spend a week in the Dry Creek/Heldsburg area where there are hundreds of wineries. You won't blink at CG costs considering wine costs.

Bodega bay has 2 county parks and one state park worth considering.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
There are endless things to see and do in and around SF. If you're looking for a nice place to set up your 5th wheel, I'd try to get a spot at Half Moon Bay campground (Francis Beach) which is 40+ minutes south of SF. They have several sites where you can back up on the bluff right at the beach (#19 is our favorite spot). Farther south in Santa Cruz is Seacliff and New Brighton but they are usually booked up months in advance especially on the weekends. If you go north of SF, there are lots of beautiful spots along highway 1. Many state parks and private campgrounds along the coast.