cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to see around San Francisco - 2 to 3 weeks.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
After visiting Hearst Castle, King Canyon, Yosemite NP and San Francisco my DW needs to fly from SF back to TN for 2 to 3 weeks. She will then fly back to SF and we will start a 6 week tour of North CA coast, OR and WA.

What should I see around SF while she is in TN? I like BLM, NFS campgrounds. I do not want to duplicate places (like Napa valley) that she and I will see on our way north from SF.

Maybe I will simply "hang out" on the coast (south or north of SF) for a few weeks. Any low cost suggestion? I have a 30 foot 5er.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
19 REPLIES 19

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a number of CGs from Big Sur to SF. Any state beach that you could actually get into would be great. Laguna Seca, Monterey Fairgrounds to the south. There is a small park just south of Half Moon Bay harbor. From there they tend to get more expensive. North of SF there are some lower cost parks and you could take the ferry into SF. Santa Cruz harbor has a small CG, probably expensive? The Sausalito Bay Model is an interesting visit - working model of the tides.

As a general guideline any CG near water is likely to be expensive and/or difficult to get a reservation.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Santa Cruz and Monterey counties.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
SF National Maritime Museum @ Hyde St Pier near Pier 43 ferry stop, Oakland Museum of California near Lake Merritt Bart, USS Hornet Museum in Alameda, Ride the Ferry just to ride the ferry and it is much easier than trying to drive across the bay, use the Bart to get around and just wander around the Embarkadero, and Market street Bart stations.

There are lots of museums but I would save some of those for when the wife gets back. I particularly liked the Legion of Honor and most of the De Young. Use this link Wiki link to museums and take your pick. You might like the Cartoon Museum. :C

I enjoyed just wandering around and riding the bus but what ever your taste, there is a place in SF of interest.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
If it was me, I would spend more time in the city (love Fishermans Wharf and Chinatown!) and take some day trips up the Pacific Coast Highway without the camper.

But where to park a 30 foot 5er . . . :h
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was me, I would spend more time in the city (love Fishermans Wharf and Chinatown!) and take some day trips up the Pacific Coast Highway without the camper. Enjoy the ability to stop on pullouts and go into small towns without the stress of where to park a large camper.

Big Sur
Carmel by the Sea
Monterey Bay
Sausalito

All great places to spend a day or 5!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS