cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where should we go & what should we see?

pjinthedaks
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of planning our long trip of 2015 and would greatly appreciate any suggestion all of you could offer. So far we know that we would like to travel from New York State to the Amish country of Ohio. From there we would like to go to Kentucky and Tennessee before stopping in the Great Smoky Mountains. Then through the Blue Ridge area and Pennsylvania before returning home. Where would you recommend that we stay and what are the can't miss stops? Thank you in advance for any suggestion that you can give us!
19 REPLIES 19

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest both Berlin RV Park or Scenic Hills RV Park in Ohio's Amish country. Lots to see and do in Millersburg and Berlin, Ohio. Have fun!

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
If you're gonna hit central Kentucky/Tennessee, save a few days for Nashville! The Opry (both "old" and "new") should be hittin' on all eight by then and a visit down Broadway with all the old honky tonks is not to be missed!! Oh... and next year, be sure to add Memphis to the list! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

pjinthedaks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your great suggestions! Lehman Brothers is definitely on the list. Hopefully our own Amish will understand. Even though they are somewhat responsible for Adirondack Bat going out of business, Louisville Slugger is on the list as well. After all, they made all of Derek Jeter's bats! Biltmore is on the list too. Your other suggestions will give us lots to think about as the snow flies starting tonight! Again, thank you all!!!

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you all are real cavers, one day at Mammoth...

While Mammoth Cave is "mammoth", if you wish to see formations visit Diamond Caverns which is close by.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you like hiking & Waterfalls, check out Ricketts Glen State Park in PA.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Some in the area that have not been mentioned -Coshocton canal town, USAF Museum in Dayton & Wright Brothers exhibits Carillon Park, Zanesville OH Pottery, Natural Bridge Kentucky, Pleasant Hill colony Lexington KY. TN Appilacian Museum on I 75 near Norris and Oak Ridge in TN on the way to Smokies.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Just tongue in cheek here!!
Why do you need to go to Ohio to see Amish,our local homegrown NY Amish are not good enough?

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Pennsylvania,I would suggest Gettysburg,the PA Train Museum in Strassburg and the Military Museum in Boalsburg.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know how long your trip will be. However to do the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. you will need about a week. It is 469 miles long, and has a lot of 25, and 35 MPH zones, and when not in one of them. the max speed is 45 MPH. There are hundreds of overlooks you are going to want to stop at, including Mt Mitchell. It is the highest peak East of the Mississippi. You will also want to see GrandFather Mountain, and the swinging bridge. Chimney Rock, and Lake Lure are nice as well.

Of course. You can get to those places with out riding the BRP as well.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Reaffirming what others have said on for sure Kentucky Horse Park, and CG as ideal base, loved Lexington area, also Biltmore. Visit some of the horse farms in KY. Personally liked Pigeon Forge (not Dollywood LOL) to mooch around as well. Check out the waterfalls near Highlands as great stop offs.

You have a truly fabulous trip planned - hope to do it all again one day soon.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the Biltmore. Amazing place! Well worth the time.

Other must-sees, IMO: Gettysburg (allow a full day also), and - if anyone in the family is into horses - Kentucky Horse Park and Old Friends Farm in the Lexington area. Nice CG at KY Horse Park too, makes a good base camp for the area.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Around Lexington, KY you can visit Kentucky Horse Park. In fact, the campground next to the horse park is excellent, but water & electric only. If you like horses Keeneland Race Course is a nice visit (they race in April & October only). Churchill Downs in Louisville has the Kentucky Derby Museum right next to the track. It's a fun museum.

Maker's Mark Distillery just south of Bardstown, KY is a nice visit. It's actually located in Loretto, KY.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
In the Smoky Mountain area of North Carolina, US 64, just east of Highlands, has several awesome waterfalls right near the road. It has been awhile since I've been over that way, but those waterfalls are what I remember best.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah, do your research for the Smoky Mountains area, there is just too much to do to list. The park itself is a no misser and if you can stay at Elkmont campground do so. No full hook ups tho. Otherwise there are a lot of nice CGs in the area. While in the park a hike up to Clingmans Dome is spectacular if your able. I also enjoy Ripleys Aquarium in Gatlinburg. This area can get crazy busy too depending on time of year. Be prepared for bumper to bumper traffic.