cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to go in September, maybe October

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently slated to go to Wyoming in July but due to an unexpected expense regarding the new house build, we need to postpone a trip until September/October. We are still thinking of going to Yellowstone but are very open to other suggestions. Hurricane-prone areas are out of the question. We like to do almost anything but wildlife photography and outside activities are favorites. We'll have to fly since we are no longer RVing. Thanks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
24 REPLIES 24

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you decide to go to the PNW area, I'd be prepared to change plans at the last minute if needed due to the potential of wildfires. They are predicting a long hot summer this year. May was the driest month on record here. Wildfires could very well be bad this year and have already started in some locations.

We almost made it to Yellowstone a couple of summers ago in early Sept. and had to bail out at the last minute due to a wildfire nearby. We're planning to try again in early Sept. and are keeping our fingers crossed that we can make it this time. Wildfires can sometimes burn into late Oct./Nov. until rains arrive.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We are originally from Michigan and family is still therein the lower peninsula. Retired now and we have traveled twice in October. Last year we traveled to the Upper Peninsula around October 10 and the fall colors were absolutely breathtaking. The weather was fair, not hot at all and not too hot. We will travel there again this fall, too.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
4runnerguy wrote:
The last couple of weeks of September are magnificent for the aspen in CO. Since you are flying and not RVing, campgrounds won't be an issue. But do think about getting reservations as it's a popular time to travel. Maybe catch a ride on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge RR as it goes through spectacular scenery only enhanced by the changing leave.

You can even head over to Utah and visit any of the NP's there, as cooler temps make it an ideal time to go.

Absolutely agree with Ken. We were in SW Colorado late last September, headed to the Grand Canyon for October. The colours were still magnificent. Did the Durango & Silverton train, it did not disappoint for the brilliance of the colours.

For the advice to avoid the Rockies after Labour Day...please do! It will make for less traffic and tourists. :W(TFIC)
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

dedmiston
Early October is our very favorite time of year to visit the national parks in the western states. It will just be you, the retirees, and the Germans.

I studied German for 9 years in high school and college, plus an exchange program to Switzerland, so my German language skills used to be pretty good. They aren't so hot anymore though. It's funny to have a German tourist walk up to me and strike up a conversation in his native language (because he assumed I wasn't a retiree yet) and have me respond with my very rusty vocabulary. He looked at me like I was developmentally challenged and asked me where I was from: "Ich komme aus Los Angeles!"

Not only will the crowds be down and the fall colors will be out, but the staff at the NPs will be in a great mood in the last week or two of the season.

One year as we were pulling out of Mesa Verde in Colorado, the staff locked the gate behind us and closed the campground for the year. Good stuff.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Advised I've received from a friend who has done it - don't be in the Rockies after Labor Day. We're also planning a westward trip starting in August and plane to be through the rockies by Labor Day.

Sorry but your friend was pulling your Leg!

Seeing is Believing - Aspen - In September

Having been to Yellowstone at least a dozen time (they were all good) but the best trip was late October - first week of November, Indian Summer - more animals than People.

IMHO You will be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable time to be In Colorado.

JMHO,

Wonderful, but no one said anything about Colorado. You do know that the Rockies exist outside that state, right? The friend's warning was about the specific route we're doing - US2 along Glacier NP and the upper part of Idaho where he has traveled extensively.

I am avoiding CO like the plague. I do not want to be pulled over and searched after leaving. Of course, I'm going to run into the same issue leaving Mass.

Pulled over and searched? I've driven lots of places from Colorado, and have never once been pulled over and searched. I think you're a bit too paranoid about that one.

But as for you not coming here, fine, more room for the rest of us ๐Ÿ˜‰

To the OP, I think you're fine anywhere in the Rockies (CO, WY, MT) in September. October gets a bit more dicey... could be beautiful, could be a blizzard.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
For us Tent Trailer guys late SEP/OCT is perfect time for us to head down to Myrtle Beach SC

LOVE Myrtle Beach but will not head into hurricane territory that time of year. Have been in both the Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach with hurricanes churning offshore-never again.

Have a great time and don't worry about weather.

I don't "worry" per se but will avoid areas that are prone to certain issues during certain times of the year if at all possible.

We'll only have a week and prefer to stay in one or two spots. Love the ideas so far-gives us a lot to think about. So far the west is indeed winning but we'll see.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
We left Monson MA the Tuesday after Labor Day and had great weather all the way out and back. We stopped at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Field of Dreams, Wall Drug, Mitchell SD, The Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and other small sites along the way. Came back through Minnesota, Green Bay, Mackinac Island, RV Museum, and Cooperstown along the way. You will find that it is a great time of year to travel with all the young ones back in school. Have a great time and don't worry about weather.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us Tent Trailer guys late SEP/OCT is perfect time for us to head down to Myrtle Beach SC and visit family and then come back up through Gatlinburg-Smoky Mountains TN to catch some outstanding fall foliage... Kids are heading back to school and you have the shopping streets all to your self...

Good way to spend two or three weeks... The most time we spend on the road is usually 5-6 hours between stops. We are definitely not into the RV Travel mode... Color us RV Campers not RV Travelers hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Advised I've received from a friend who has done it - don't be in the Rockies after Labor Day. We're also planning a westward trip starting in August and plane to be through the rockies by Labor Day.

Having been to Yellowstone at least a dozen time (they were all good) but the best trip was late October - first week of November, Indian Summer - more animals than People.

JMHO,

Wonderful, but no one said anything about Colorado. You do know that the Rockies exist outside that state, right? The friend's warning was about the specific route we're doing - US2 along Glacier NP and the upper part of Idaho where he has traveled extensively.

I am avoiding CO like the plague. I do not want to be pulled over and searched after leaving. Of course, I'm going to run into the same issue leaving Mass.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've done the Canadian Rockies in September, twice. Stunning. Fly into Calgary, rent a car, and enjoy!

And Colorado in late September and early October is also wonderful.

Then there is Utah, cool and rugged, with slanty autumn sun on red rocks.

Also the North Cascades of Washington, including the Mt. Baker area. The huckleberries are ripe, the air is clear, and you can see forever.

Then there is the Eastern Sierra, chilly and crisp, with miles of wonderful trails at high altitude. Maybe throw in Great Basin National Park in Nevada -- astonishing stars in the autumn months.

We have done all of these trips in the fall, many of them more than once. The bugs are dead, the tourists are gone, the weather is dry and clear and cool. Heaven.

Good luck choosing amongst all of these great options!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
The last couple of weeks of September are magnificent for the aspen in CO. Since you are flying and not RVing, campgrounds won't be an issue. But do think about getting reservations as it's a popular time to travel. Maybe catch a ride on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge RR as it goes through spectacular scenery only enhanced by the changing leave.

You can even head over to Utah and visit any of the NP's there, as cooler temps make it an ideal time to go.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
September and October are the BEST times to be in Colorado! Tourists are gone, kids are in school, the leaves are turning, the elk are bugling, the fish are biting, days are cool, nights are crisp.

What else could you ask for?

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
as stated, the first two weeks of Yellowstone is good. and if you want to do Rushmore, the last two weeks of Sept is great for that, but be advised that Custer State Park has a hugely popular Buffalo Roundup on the last weekend of Sept. Arts and Crafts fair, buffalo herded to a main corral where they are sorted, culled, etc. So make a reservation in the Black Hills if you're thinking about doing that.
Cody is a good place to visit, too, during the last two weeks of Sept but it can drop a little snow on you if you are camped up the canyon...doesn't stay long.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.