cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youthful 55+ parks in Arizona

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
My senior dad used to joke that the definition of “old” was always ten years older than he was. So if I ask a 75 year old if a park with an average age of 77 is full of old people, he’d probably say no. Where for me being 59, they’d be old. I know they’d still be friendly, fun, and fairly active, but they’re not of my generation.

Are there snowbird parks in the Phoenix or Tucson areas that are noticeably younger than others? There won’t be any with an average age in the 60’s, I’m guessing?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
21 REPLIES 21

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I think many parks are in a turnover phase. The old guard is fading out and new blood coming in. it is causing friction in some places
Such is the case where I am.
But the older people are not in gods waiting room.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend that you zero in on activities you'd be interested in rather than age.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
What do you want to do there? What activities are you looking for? I agree that park models usually mean an older population. However, if you want facilities and activities like ball team, pickleball, a decent workout room etc, those are usually found at larger parks that do have park models. The age of the park will be a good clue, also. We are in our second year in Yuma at a park that has about 2/3 park model/RV mix & 1/3 RV only. Good luck on your search!

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I also subscribe to the logic that RV parks are younger (and more active, but that is a very personal viewpoint.) That's the reason I go to a winter park that has NO park models and it is mandatory that no rig can stay over 6 months.

If that logic makes sense to you then I would explore public parks vs private parks. I would also use Google Earth to zoom in on the park and see what type of RV's are present. Easy to tell from the roofs.

On Edit:

If I ever did decide to winter in AZ on my short list would be Parker and Green Valley. YMMV
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Look for places that are RV only and not part of a "Retirement Community" that are mostly park models and mobile homes.
Nothing wrong with those. It's the RV crew that seems to be more active and "younger"

I agree, many RVers move on to a park model or mobile home as they get older but are not ready to give up snowbirding. After our
14th season as Winter Texans I see this all the time and am included in this group. So where there are a large number of park models and mobile homes the population will likely be older but most of us have started out in an RV.
pawatt

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Look for places that are RV only and not part of a "Retirement Community" that are mostly park models and mobile homes.
Nothing wrong with those. It's the RV crew that seems to be more active and "younger"

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Look at places a bit farther away, smaller camps & without the "quilting club". Florence, Black Canyon City, Superior, Sierra Vista, Bisbee.
There are gold mining groups, A/Utv groups, Wine afficionados( Sierra Vista area) even a trap/skeet shooters camp. That one is Double Adobe east of Bisbee.