cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp outlet

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Didnโ€™t do anything new to the trailer, but something new for it...finally got around to installing a 30 amp outlet so the AC will work during the hot AZ summer without tripping the garage breaker. Will make packing and prepping for the summer trip more pleasant. Still need to paint it to match the house.

Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold
16 REPLIES 16

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Good practice on a 30 amp circuit but very important on 50 amp.

When inserting a 50 amp plug; if both hots connect but the neutral does not, you can send 200+ volts to appliances. $$$$
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Brought the trailer home from warranty service at the dealer today...ready for a couple small projects and prep for our next trip. AC is cooling nicely in the desert heat. ๐Ÿ˜„

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2 - 30 amp RV outlets at my house. The first was on the side of the garage, thinking we'd always park the camper in the same spot. I did not have a cut off switch, so I always use the breaker on the panel inside the garage.

About 4 years later we decided we wanted to park the camper on a different spot. We removed an old basket ball pole and goal that was concreted into the side of the drive way. It had power going to it for a 15 amp plug, coming off the main junction for both house and garage. After removing the basket ball goal pole, I took that wire, shortened it, and added a different 15 amp plug at the main junction.

I then added the second 30 amp RV plug with it's own breaker. The wiring was exceptionally easy for the second one, since I only needed about 2 feet of wire to install the 30 amp box.

So now, we have all kinds of options. Currently, the camper is plugged into the first one, as the camper is actually in the back yard on the grass right now. We returned home this morning from an extended weekend trip and wanted to park the camper somewhere a little different at home this time. So, with the ability to plug in two different locations and position the camper multiple ways in front of the garage, or between the garage and house, or behind the house, it keeps some freshness with the camper all the time! We do sleep in it every night, all Summer long.

So, you will find having your own 30 amp RV plug a really nice thing. It will add much more quality usefulness to your camper. And you'll find yourself using it a lot more at home now too.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Just good routine to OPEN breaker(s) prior to plugging in on high amp receptacles so that arcing doesn't occur
Especially at CGs where the plugs are worn/abused/cracked etc

Same when unplugging....open CBs first"

TRUE!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
This is good guidance. Thank you.

I had considered keeping the panel breaker off when the trailer isnโ€™t plugged in. This reinforces that idea. Easy enough to turn on the breaker after plugging in.

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
You can easily get "light switches" rated for 30A at big box stores and other places. I put one of those in (on the inside of the garage) when I installed a 30A RV socket at my house. Being inside meant I didn't have to dither about with a weatherproof housing for the switch.

Ordinary cheap light switches are not rated for 30A, of course; it's only certain heavy-duty ones that are, typically two pole switches (but only one pole is used in this case).
I used a "motor-rated" 30 amp toggle switch in a weatherproof enclosure next to our 30 amp RV recept. in the carport. Motor-rated switches have heavier contacts to withstand motor inrush current and are compact compared to other options. Turning power off before plugging in will help extend the life of plug and recept. The converter/charger has an inrush current that causes pitting on a plug blade and recept. contact surfaces and over time will attract dirt and eventually possibly cause overheating and a meltdown. I had two 15 amp extension cord connectors go up in smoke in the driveway and then installed a 30 amp recept. which solved that.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigorange wrote:
โ€œPerfectly legalโ€...I agree. Iโ€™m not aware of any requirement for a disconnect in the box. Iโ€™m also not familiar with the recommendation to have the outlet disconnected when plugging/unplugging.

Just good routine to OPEN breaker(s) prior to plugging in on high amp receptacles so that arcing doesn't occur
Especially at CGs where the plugs are worn/abused/cracked etc

Same when unplugging....open CBs first

Just helps eliminate damage to your RV Power cord plug prongs.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œPerfectly legalโ€...I agree. Iโ€™m not aware of any requirement for a disconnect in the box. Iโ€™m also not familiar with the recommendation to have the outlet disconnected when plugging/unplugging.

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bigorange wrote:
That box has no disconnect in it.

Nor does my 50A, I simply walk into my shop and flip on or off the 50A breaker in the panel. Perfectly legal. Also much less $$$.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can easily get "light switches" rated for 30A at big box stores and other places. I put one of those in (on the inside of the garage) when I installed a 30A RV socket at my house. Being inside meant I didn't have to dither about with a weatherproof housing for the switch.

Ordinary cheap light switches are not rated for 30A, of course; it's only certain heavy-duty ones that are, typically two pole switches (but only one pole is used in this case).

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The RV has a disconnect but I seriously doubt there would be any issues with a home unit.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
That box has no disconnect in it.

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice work, a 30A receptacle is a nice luxury isn't it!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
That box looks mighty small to have a disconnect inside. To extend the life of the receptacle and plug the power should be off whenever inserting or removing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900