cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 AMP cord storage

roddiemacdonald
Explorer
Explorer
Like many of you I have a heavy 50 Amp cord I have to detach, pack up and store underneath in my 5th wheel storage compartment. Presently I curl it up in a Tupperware container then lift it up in the storage area. As you know, it's heavy.

Any ideas out there for a less back breaking way of doing this?
44 REPLIES 44

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
diveman52 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
So, in the bright light of day I can see that I am using a 6/3 and 8/1 power cord and it's a bear to handle. It must be a brand difference. Mine says Ciylius E90165-D STW made by Well Shin Technology. Is it the SOW vs. STW that makes it such a problem? If so, otherwise, are they the same thing or are the wires inside somewhat different? (Stranded, not-stranded?).

STW type cord is about the cheapest stuff they make.
If you want fexablity in any weather you want SOW or even just SO

Can't beat it!

Yep, dislike posting on consecutive pages, but this is lighter and much easier to store!
Ron has a single bend above this is 40' in a 3 gallon bucket, 90 degrees or 20 degrees!!!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Singleminded wrote:
Anyone know the 'ought' rating of a 50 amp cable? Welding cable 0, 00 ,000 is very flexible (but copper capable of carrying 50 amps will never be light!
None of them are that big. Nearly all are AWG 6 X 3 and AWG 8 X 1.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know the 'ought' rating of a 50 amp cable? Welding cable 0, 00 ,000 is very flexible (but copper capable of carrying 50 amps will never be light!
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
diveman52 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
So, in the bright light of day I can see that I am using a 6/3 and 8/1 power cord and it's a bear to handle. It must be a brand difference. Mine says Ciylius E90165-D STW made by Well Shin Technology. Is it the SOW vs. STW that makes it such a problem? If so, otherwise, are they the same thing or are the wires inside somewhat different? (Stranded, not-stranded?).

That makes sense....What else would Camping World sell?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
diveman52 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Can't beat it!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a pickup tool box on the rear bumper of our TT for extra storage.

I remove one end of the cord and place it in the box and then go back and forth in the tool box with the remaining cord. Easy to load and unload.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed at Sam's club a motorized reel for a garden hose that was quite reasonable that could be adapted for a cord.
bumpy

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an air compressor hose reel from Harbor Freight and mounted it on a pull-out "drawer" I built and installed in the basement of my 5th wheel. When setting up the trailer I extend the "drawer" and pull the loose end of the cord (with the male plug)toward the rear of the trailer until the entire cord is off the reel. When putting the cord away I manually crank the reel until the cord is loaded and then slide the "drawer" into the basement. It is a little hard to crank the reel, but for me it beats coiling the cord by hand and trying to stuff it into the basement.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
On my Boat, I have 100' 50 amp cord. Same gauge as my RV. On the Boat, it is equipped with a Glendining "cable master" that powers out and in the cord. You can stop at whatever length you need. Well worth the expense.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes they are all stranded but the flexible one most likely has 30 + strands compared to less than 10 on the stiff one. All guesstimated numbers.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
westend wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

STW explained

SJOW explained

FWIW, I have a 50 amp Marinco cord, probably one of the better ones made and it is the sheath that makes it bend less. I'm willing to wind it in a less tighter coil to have the quality.

I don't think you will find a SJOW as S = 600V and J = 300V.

The cord I made was from a 50A construction temp power cord. SOW 6/3 & 8/1.

Thanks for providing the links!

Bill.Satellite wrote:
If so, otherwise, are they the same thing or are the wires inside somewhat different? (Stranded, not-stranded?)

Well if not stranded I don't think you could bend 3/6-1/8!

The difference is the outer and inner jackets, it is softer and more pliable.

I was able to get 40' of 4/8 SO cable, and the ends for less than $200.

This is the old and new, new 40' in three gallon bucket, old 35' in big tub.

This is a top view of the 40' of SO cable in a three gallon bucket, this will go in here even in freezing temps!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

STW explained

SJOW explained

FWIW, I have a 50 amp Marinco cord, probably one of the better ones made and it is the sheath that makes it bend less. I'm willing to wind it in a less tighter coil to have the quality.

I don't think you will find a SJOW as S = 600V and J = 300V.

The cord I made was from a 50A construction temp power cord. SOW 6/3 & 8/1.

Thanks for providing the links!

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 50' of SOOW 6/4 service cable at my local Electrical supply house. Same place as where the RV Service I take my rig to gets cable when they need it. Was $2.69 per foot. So far have only used it when hooked up at house, but is flexible enough that it could be wound up in electrical bay. Weighs maybe 30#. Have never put in on a scale.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select