cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6V AGM Batteries

BKing49
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wanting to upgrade by dual purpose flooded cell deep cycle 12V house batteries to 6V 200+AH AGM batteries (4 of them). I've looked around and obviously the Trojan T-105 have probably the best reputation but they are flooded cell. Trojan does make a GC2 AGM Deep Cycle battery but they are very expensive! Lifeline batteries of any style get good reviews but the local dealer charges an arm and a leg for each of those. Recently I ran across VMAXTANK AGM batteries in 6V. They are the least expensive I have found but can't seem to locate any kind of review of these batteries.

Anyone on this forum have any experience with these? Ever heard of them? I found them on Amazon.com. Purchase price savings might be eaten up by shipping cost though . . .

bking49
Bruce King
13 REPLIES 13

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered using a single battery. Using a 4D lifeline AGM here. 4 seasons on it so far. Going strong. We do a mix of with power & dry camping.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I believe an AGM is an AGM.
You would then likely be wrong. AGMs of various manufacture can have very different charging profiles. The AGM setting on many chargers would not fully charge my batteries.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Bill,

Do the Universals require the same high charge rate as the Lifelines?

I believe an AGM is an AGM. My inverter/charger has an AGM setting so I use that on the assumption that this is OK. My engine alternator uses the fairly standard 13+V to charge the batteries and not 14V so I think the AGM's are pretty flexible as long as you do not discharge them past the 50% SOC.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 of the VMAX 6V AGMs. They've been in for a year now (in storage last 4-5 months). No problems. Have had them down to about 60% charge once and they worked like a champ.

A year is hardly a fair shake for a deep cycle AGM though. They'd have to be pretty horrible to wear out in a year!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BKing49
Explorer
Explorer
Check these out at $260 ea

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vmax+6V+225AH+battery&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Avmax+6V+225AH+battery

bking49
Bruce King

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
There are also Fullriver DC224-6 6-volt GC2 AGM batteries which cost around $270. Two year replacement warranty followed by three year prorated. Battery Systems in Reno carries Fullriver.

I have four Fullriver DC220-6 Group 27 6-volt AGM batteries and they are very good. I think you would be satisfied with either Fullriver or VMAX.

635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote

BKing49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the responses. I know that Trojan and Lifeline are very good batteries and will last a long time if cared for. I was just trying to find an AGM in 6V that was a little more affordable than the Trojans and Lifelines. I'm wanting to move my house battery bank out of the stock metal can designed for the batteries due to size and the only location I have is under on the the bench seats of the kitchen table which is in the living space. If I use any flooded cell battery I have to figure out how to vent them. I can really only go down under the coach which suggest a powered vent. Really didn't want to do that. So, trying to figure how I might be able to afford AGM's. They don't require a vent. I was really looking to find if any of you have used or heard of this VMAS Charge Tank batteries and if they are any good. They say the plates are made to mil spec. I suppose that good but really don't know.

Thanks for your help.

bking49
Bruce King

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bill,

Do the Universals require the same high charge rate as the Lifelines?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently replaced by old and tired Lifeline AGM batteries with exact replacement Universal Battery AGM's. The cost 1/2 what a Lifeline cost and with a little over a year of usage on them I am very happy.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Look up the Lifeline AGM battery web site. We've been using their batteries for years. We have over 500w of solar panels, a conventional refrig, 2 satellite dishes and boondock a lot. These are pricey, but they last and they work!!
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Check out VMAX ChargeTanks. They make a 6-volt GC2 225AH AGM that is about as economical and competent as one will find for an AGM. I found them for $250.

http://www.vmaxtanks.com/servlet/the-57/SLA-vmax-tanks-AGM/Detail

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no experience with those batteries but where did you see it in 6 volt? Every one I looked at on their website is a 12 volt battery.

Edit: Finally found one! The MB6-225 but it is $300. Are there others that are less expensive? I had excellent luck with the Trojan T-105's that lasted about 9 years and they were a heck of a lot less than that.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine