cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any good solar articles

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. So to get started with a solar project... any good articles I should read? I have 2010 crossroads cruiser fiver. Like to be able to boondock and also plug into a generator left in the bed of my truck. My skill with electric work is probably better than average. I was a electrician in a factory and Iโ€™ve been wiring on fire trucks for years. However I also donโ€™t want to make rookie mistakes because I didnโ€™t ask lol. Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
x3
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:

I have solar charging and would offer this suggestion: Install more panel wattage than what you think is necessary.

x2.

If only "they" always listened ๐Ÿ™‚

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Solar power in the RV world is about charging the 12V batteries and offering some power, during the day, to run 12V devices. Your 12V system will also power 120V devices if you invert the DC current.

There are a number of threads about solar on this Forum. Dan Meyer has good info on his site. Pianotuna's article on solar use is also good. Handybob is entertainment although the few interspersed tips are good.

I have solar charging and would offer this suggestion: Install more panel wattage than what you think is necessary. Panels are still cheap and an extra one or two will fill that future hole when you dig up more ideas about how to use free power.

Good luck with solar!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP says he is not a beginner, not in electrical domain.

Handy Bob is inspiring and entertaining, these are merits, in my books. Useful info is scattered, er... thinly, throughout his blog.

Solar is just a DC source. If you know how battery charging and discharging works, you know half of what there is to know about solar. Main difference from 120V grid charger is that there is (usually) less wattage, no charging in night-time, and few% of charging when it rains (compared to clear sky). Clouds are OK.

Like people said, start with energy audit. Some are content with solar working only occasionally, they don't rely on it for boondocking and don't expect it to be main energy source.
200-300W on the roof is the minimum to get by, without running a generator. Having more wouldn't hurt, because on darker days 600W solar will work like 100-200W.
For air-con you will need generator.

Other than installing not enough solar wattage, the only big mistake that you could make is pairing 24V panels with PWM controller. 24V panels need MPPT controller.

Here is estimated solar harvest PER MONTH - enter your location, array size in KW (you can prorate it later for smaller wattage), tilt=0.
http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/. Divide by 31 to get KWH per day. Multiply by 1,000 and divide by 12.6V to get AH per day. This is for an average day, assuming no shade from trees.

Flat panel (tilt=0) in real life is tilted few degrees to shed water and debris, this usually comes natural when conforming to roof curve.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
These people went way overboard but it shows what you can do.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jack's site is good.

HandyBob is dated and has errors. No place for a beginner imo.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Definitely a good start to my reading!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jacl & Danielle Mayers blog

Handy Bobs blog
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found some useful information at HandyBobโ€™s solar blog.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Jack and Daniell Mayerโ€™s web site (jackdanmayer). They have been full timers for many years ,and he has and offers some of the best information available for rvโ€™ers pertaining solar, etc. It is my fisrt place to look if I have questions!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This series of articles may help.

The very latest system eliminates the charge controller totally--it is posted on page 7.

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
First step is an energy audit.
- List out every device you will use.
- Find the continuous draw for each device
- Estimate the percentage of the day that the device will be drawing power.
- Multiply by the number of days you want the battery bank to cover those loads without charging (say on cloudy days, the solar output is way down).
- Add in a fudge factor to account for missed items or items added later.

Now you know how much you need to generate per day and how much you need to be able to store.
- Size the solar panels based on around 4 hours at the rated output (this is typically what it works out to over a day).
- Size the batteries based on the amp-hrs used per day times the number of days you want the batteries to cover without charging. Keep in mind, you have to discount the rated amp-hrs particularly for lead-acid as they don't like to drop below 50% charge and many people assume they won't get above 80%...so people typically assume 30-50% of the rated amp-hrs are usable.

If you want to run the air/con expect to run the generator (assuming it's big enough to start the compressor).

You can under size the solar system and do a short bulk charge in the mornings with the generator. You want to do it in the morning because lead-acid batteries accept charge more slowly the closer they are to full. By doing it in the morning, they can accept everything the generator can throw at them and then the slower solar charge matches better to topping up the remainder.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV